Difficult Buyers And How To Deal With Them

vanderlot

This post came in the wake of a buyer (and buyers) I have dealt with in the past day (and couple of years), and there are lessons to be learnt.

Below, I have conceptualized a list of things to do and not to do when attending to buyers.

THE DON’TS

1. Never tell the buyer that something cannot be done if you know you are capable of doing the job, and if you think the job may cost more, inform the buyer of this before you go ahead with the job.

2. Never start an argument with the buyer. Though, if you think you may have something valid to point out, do this without challenging him or her.

3. Never be insistent. Doing this shows that you have respect for the buyer.

4. Never give EXACT deadlines. Doing this would surprisingly improve your respectfulness and reduce skepticism. However, if you decide to issue an exact deadline, you MUST be prepared to live up to your promise.

5. Never take warnings and ultimatums lightly. Respond to the buyer accordingly.

THE DOS

1. Be pleasant. Even when the buyer either seems like a bully or someone of unsound mind, doing this would make you appear less confrontational. Which does not imply that you should be confrontational with the buyer.

2. Be willing to listen. Doing this shows that you are on the side of the buyer (which coincide with the second point made under the ‘DON’TS’ list).

3. Be respectful, as this would generate mutual respect and build relationships.

4. Be timely. Whilst not providing exact deadlines, you can provide ESTIMATED timeframes, especially in most cases. For instance, if a large project varies between six (6) to ten (10) days or medium ones up to five (5), the buyer deserves to know this. Though, if the buyer knows or gives you a timeframe, there would be no need to issue one. This perfectly coincides with my fourth point made under the ‘DON’TS’ list.

5. Be generous. Give more than what the buyer expects from you. In other words, extend your reach into what you have been tasked to do.

After being on Fiverr for almost six (6) years, I have learnt that customers can be very simple up to being very difficult, and its up to the seller to understand the differences and how to approach them.

In closing, this happens to be my first post since joining Fiverr, and I was previously featured in the early days of the site; and now considered to be one of Fiverr’s most professional sellers.

Happy selling.

Archived