How to instruct buyers to update an order?

mikejacobsvo

As a seller, I often encounter cases where a customer needs to update their order such as changing a quantity or adding an extra. Many customers cannot figure out how to accomplish this task. Some customers place additional orders or completely give up. I cannot find an article in the Help or Forum that I can send my customers.

Is there a documented set of steps somewhere so that I can refer my customers to that information?

Fiverr’s messaging system is not very good. Messages can either be in your customer’'s Notifications area, or in their Inbox, not both. Messages you trade with a customer on a gig page end up as Notifications, and messages you initiate by clicking on an ID tend to go to the inbox. It would make a lot more sense to collect them all into the inbox, but that doesn’t happen. Many people have posted similar comments to yours.

I’d simply come up with a template that you send to all new customers of a certain gig, with instructions on how to communicate with you, and start it by saying you can’t begin work until they fill out the details.

The reason new customers might be missing this is another fiverr glitch. As soon as you buy a gig, the customer gets a dialog box saying that you need details before you begin work. They fill out the details, click send, and they still see that message. This is one reason you’re getting duplicate buys. I’ve done that myself, and the seller never notified me that I’d paid her twice for the same gig. If fiverr wants all their users to abide by their tos and not communicate outside their system, it should at least be a system that is halfway intuitive but it really isn’t.

That’s about the best I can come up with, short of going outside their tos.

I don’t think I’m having any issue with buyer communication channels. The problem as I see it is that customers do not always place a correct order for what they want or need to order an extra after placing the order. I instruct them to update their order and more than half cannot figure out how to do it. Consequently, many buyers decide against the extra and I am out that extra revenue or place an additional order to cover the difference.

I am looking for step by step instructions for buyers to update an existing order. I cannot find it in the Fiverr help or FAQs. Any pointers?

Archived