PSA: Messages with attached viruses

celinedesigns

So I got a message from someone today, explaining to me that they wanted a logo and to check out the attached samples, blah blah. basically they wanted me to check out the ‘samples’ they attached.

This attached file was in a .zip folder. I was expecting the usual .jpg’s or .png’s - although what was in the zip folder, was a .exe file - which is definitely not an image. If you go ahead and run this file, (which I have no idea why you would, why would anyone on fiverr need an .exe file? ) you will execute whatever is inside the suspicious file and it will install onto your computer, doing who knows what.

Yes, this could have been just someone who accidently wrote .exe on the end of his file… but very unlikely - and I’ve thought about this before, and it will probably happen to you.

If you receive an .exe file - do NOT open it. Report them to CS or just ignore them.

If you have any more questions about this, have a google - do some research, or post below. This is just a friendly PSA for those who do not know this already and I have a feeling this person(s) going to get a lot of poor fiverr sellers.

Reply to @serenwaters47: Yep, that was exactly the message: said something about elegent logos.

Nice work for not opening it, if anyone has - please go ahead and scan your computer, a FULL scan. Don’t go on any secure sites before you scan your computer, and might as well cover up your webcam if you haven’t already - if you haven’t scanned your computer already.

Guest seo_clerk85

Always look with caution the .exe files from untrusted developers/suspicious users. It could really harm your computer/iOS/Android device.

Thank you for letting know the Fiverr community.

I’m afraid I’m going to need everyone here to just stop, and hold on a minute.

It’s OK though; don’t be afraid. I’m here on behalf of the International Bureau of Wallet Investigation.

We’ve gotten some reports that there is some funny business going on here, so as a precaution I’m going to need all of you to give me your credit cards and PIN numbers, so I can check to make sure that none of you are the victims of fraud.

I’m sure you understand, and thanks for being so cooperative! 🙂

Guest latika426

Thank a lot all of you for sharing your experience Messages with attached viruses. This will actually help many to stay away from the danger.

Archived