Have you experienced this : buyer promise to order more job?

wildgirl

Just ignore them. I’ve heard that so many times that I just laugh when I read it now.

Another funny one: If you complete this gig today, I’ll order 100 more gigs. Riiiiight. If you had $500 to spend you would have the $5 for the gig extra to expedite the first order. IGNORED.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Here’s the thing. if they say that come back and see if they need more gigs or tell them that if they want to purchase more they are welcome to because your time spent on a gig is quality time spent. Believe me many buyers will order more if you explain that this is your job and how you make a living.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Reply to @bachas85: Empty promises and broken dreams. You have to take them up on the offer and actually call their bluff. If they say they have future projects ask them to order them now or right after the current project if they are happy. Works for me many times.

I have heard this a lot over the last year or so. Out of the few hundred times I have probably heard it, I have two regular clients for press releases that come back 10 to 15 times a month buying work. About 80% of those are with one or more gig extras and of those probably 20% are with the 24 hour turn around. I make a few hundred dollars each month with each buyer.

While a ton will say they won’t come back, there is the occasional one that will. While I don’t put much thought to it when they say they will, I just do my best on each order.

Clients that are respectful, easy going and make no mention of providing additional work tend to return with more orders than those who try to “manipulate” your emotions with empty promises. Treat all buyers the same and do your very best. Those who appreciate your work the most are sometimes the quiet ones. All buyers are created equal… you get the point.

I learned few things in freelancing which fall under empty promises category.

1. " Do the job with 100% perfection, I’ll pay you once I get money from X YZ way". — Avoid such buyers and the customers, they are as good as nothing.

2. “Your rate is high, others are doing it for cheap, do this work for X amount and I’ll order more soon and you’ll get lot of work from me”. ----

Another hit and miss customer, try to avoid such customers unless you are desperate, these type of buyers are no good to you.

3. " You’re so expensive, why you have so high rate"

If any customer comes to you with such complaints by some reference, avoid them. They know your worth, they just want to drag you down to make some money.

happens all the time, which is why I only offer discount for buyers who have been coming back to me with more jobs. I had someone who bought only 7 gigs ($5) when I did twice the work it takes for a gig because he said he will be coming for more, he only did business a month and left. nowhere to be seen

I usually get this when someone wants me to make something that’s not in the description, but if it’s close and doesn’t take up that much more time, I’ll usually do it. I stretch my skills that way … but yeah, they usually don’t order that dozen they swore they would. That’s okay, I usually don’t want to crochet a dozen of anything anyway. 😃

Guest marsch001

It happens all the time - and I’m not sure if that’s because they compare me with other translators (some do come back, thankfully) or if it’s just something they say because they think it’s going to make me deliver the work quicker. I’d say, until they are return buyers, don’t believe it.

Archived