This one is for everyone that wants to be succesfull on Fiverr in 5 days!

thejamuhh

Wake up call, you won't!

I know that one person on YouTube says that you have to make "these 10 specific gigs" in order to make easy quick money on the platform. But guess what, it doesn't work like that! Welcome to Fiverr, a platform where you have to give all you can to show that you are truly a professional in your niche. And no, don't offer a gig related to designing logos when you've only been doing that for a week.

Take a good look at your profile. Are you fluent in English, really? "Who you write like English something is learning since yesterday?" And who is that blonde woman on your gigs? Ah, I see. You’ve seen a video with the Fiverr hack that "a person's face on your gig will stand out," so now you slap that blonde stock image woman on every single gig, covering 1/3 of your gig image with her. I'm sure you get millions of sales for your $5 gig.

While we’re talking about $5 gigs, how do you plan on making a logo while only asking $5? Do you have a best friend called AI? And no, not AI Illustrator!

Now, while I approach this topic a bit playfully, it really is just anger toward those "I promise paradise on YouTube" YouTubers. I understand that you think that because that YouTuber said it, it must be true. Sadly, it doesn't work like that.

If you're here to make a million dollars in a few weeks, please go to another freelance platform. It hurts the platform's image, and it hurts the real sellers who are really trying to make something out of a freelance platform.

This was my TED Talk, thank you.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

True - but sadly, many people won't read any of this :(

An unfortunately large amount of new sellers know close to 0! about working online (from Internet safety to establishing your presence or even just... having a skill.) which creates this weird loop of them applying to Fiverr 'schools' and courses, getting nothing but fake r-views out of them and coming here to complain about having no orders. 

On one hand as someone who's worked SO hard to be where I am now, I'm quite frustrated - but on the other, I'm also very sad. 

People are wasting time and eh, 'effort' on here while they could be looking for (admittedly lower-paid but existing!) jobs. Freelancing is NOT the way out of poverty for everyone with no skills. 

(Then again, they won't believe us when we try to explain this. Trust me I've tried and I've only been called rude in the process ha.)

• Like 5
  • Up 1

1 minute ago, katakatica said:

On one hand as someone who's worked SO hard to be where I am now, I'm quite frustrated - but on the other, I'm also very sad. 

I hope for you and every other serious seller on this platform that there can be a sollution some day, or at least something I wouldn't know what. And I hope that some day, there will maybe be either better screening on the platform, critical reviewing of certain gigs or sellers and more freedom for the real sellers.

But ofcourse, you can only hope, and work on your business, and hope a bit more. 🫠😂 For now, I just have fun with analyzing these gigs, to see what kind of Youtube videos they have (probably) watched 😂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thejamuhh said:

I hope for you and every other serious seller on this platform that there can be a sollution some day, or at least something I wouldn't know what. And I hope that some day, there will maybe be either better screening on the platform, critical reviewing of certain gigs or sellers and more freedom for the real sellers.

I think what makes this challenging is that it's not like they can ban sellers from X place - or just not allow new sellers at all until all gigs are screened. It's a complex issue that Fiverr doesn't seem to know how to solve without getting into more trouble. (and in a way, really really cheap products sell as well. I started out VERY cheap and had buyers then, too. Many people like the 5 dollar price point, even if what they get for it isn't...great.

19 minutes ago, thejamuhh said:

But ofcourse, you can only hope, and work on your business, and hope a bit more. 🫠😂 For now, I just have fun with analyzing these gigs, to see what kind of Youtube videos they have (probably) watched 😂

I have one question based on these videos (though likely you know very little about it, too) - do these gurus who tell people what to do admit that they are encouraging people to have no skills and still try? Or do they actually seem to be lying knowingly? This whole thing is so odd in so many ways (yes, it's funny to some extent, but then again, people who are very poor are being encouraged to waste time so... it's a weird one for sure.

2 minutes ago, katakatica said:

I have one question based on these videos (though likely you know very little about it, too) - do these gurus who tell people what to do admit that they are encouraging people to have no skills and still try? Or do they actually seem to be lying knowingly? This whole thing is so odd in so many ways (yes, it's funny to some extent, but then again, people who are very poor are being encouraged to waste time so... it's a weird one for sure.

I placed a comment on someone doing this, they responded that they don't imply that it's easy money. While they might say that maybe once in the video, their thumbnail and titles are so clickbaity. For now, I did not receive a second response. 

Funny enough is that I currently started to research this a bit more, different youtubers and different types. My plan is to gather info on their responses, the different opinions they give around this topic and see what I get from that. I'm also interested in looking more into these kind of "fortune seekers" on Fiverr, maybe try to have a conversation with some. Might do a follow-up on this topic with all the info I gather.

I'm sorry, but I am quite the research nerd 🙂 Who knows, maybe I discover the magic sollution... 🙃

6 minutes ago, katakatica said:

complex issue that Fiverr doesn't seem to know how to solve without getting into more trouble.

I agree, this issue is big, but difficult to solve. But for some issue's I can think of sollutions that solve (read:minimize) some issue's.

But that are just basics since I ofcourse can't see real data. I would suggest to do a test before you can add languages, and the test result calculates your fluency in for example english. Yes this takes alot of time for sellers, but you should invest time into your profile and career, so it would benefit both sides. Buyers can communicate with people that REALLY understand them, and the new sellers have to put more effort (and the new sellers that want to earn fast might think "this takes to much time, must go elsewhere" and leave)

Now I have to word this very carefully, but even after a seller passes a language test, they could use AI (yes AI) to analyse their grammar and spelling in the inbox, order chat and gig descriptions. If a seller makes alot of mistakes without correcting in X period, then the language fluency could be low (for example instead of 8/10 a 5/10 which would require them to take a new test. ofcourse, this is just a draft of the idea to implement AI into messages. But I rather have them use AI for this instead of my "communication" for the "seller level" that "completely works with no issues at all" 

I have more but that would mean that I have to write 300 pages worth of text. I don't have time for that since I have to work my ass of as a freelancer (I know new sellers, that's a shocking thing to hear right? a freelancer working their ass off!) 🙂