Is fiverr doing anything against scammers beside making you aware what the scams are? (like perma banning people etc.)

laurence_sl

Question

Hi, my account is less than 3 days old and I have already gotten more than 20 scam messages. From what I see in other posts and on this forum, Fiverr is pretty much overrun with scammers. However all the posts I have seen regarding this issue are only making users aware of these scams so that they dont't fall in a trap. But is Fiverr actually taking active measures to ban these people permanently? They could for example do it in a way, where all the accounts are connected to a phone number and when you get banned, you can no longer create an account with this number, since it feels like these accounts get created in masses by the same people. It is so easy to scam someone on here, that I feel like if they just make it more of a nuisance for the scammers, they might migrate to another site. 

I find it really discouraging to post/ try to find work here, when 100% of my interactions are from fraudulent individuals/ ai scam accounts. Not even mentioning, that if you filter a niche by "new" (at least in graphic design or illustrations), 90% of gigs are ai generated drawings etc. selling as hand drawn work, selling images that the buyer can get for free using any free ai tool. This is such a big problem, that I am already thinking about finding an alternative site to post my gigs and work on.

So my question is, is Fiverr doing anything to protect genuine users actively or are they only relying on us, the users, to spot the scams, posting about them and their dangers, hoping people read the posts and dont't fall for the scams. Don't get me wrong, I find it important to be aware of how to avoid scams, but I also know that many people are unsafe online and/or more prone to fall for such scams, especially if they are not tech savvy or just naiv. But I do find the amount of fraudulent activity on here concerning (Mind you I have no experience on other sites). I would love to hear your opinion about this. 

Stay safe, 

Laurence Schartz  

Edited by laurence_sl
  • Like 1

1 answer to this question

3 hours ago, laurence_sl said:

Hi, my account is less than 3 days old and I have already gotten more than 20 scam messages. From what I see in other posts and on this forum, Fiverr is pretty much overrun with scammers. However all the posts I have seen regarding this issue are only making users aware of these scams so that they dont't fall in a trap. But is Fiverr actually taking active measures to ban these people permanently? They could for example do it in a way, where all the accounts are connected to a phone number and when you get banned, you can no longer create an account with this number, since it feels like these accounts get created in masses by the same people. It is so easy to scam someone on here, that I feel like if they just make it more of a nuisance for the scammers, they might migrate to another site. 

I find it really discouraging to post/ try to find work here, when 100% of my interactions are from fraudulent individuals/ ai scam accounts. Not even mentioning, that if you filter a niche by "new" (at least in graphic design or illustrations), 90% of gigs are ai generated drawings etc. selling as hand drawn work, selling images that the buyer can get for free using any free ai tool. This is such a big problem, that I am already thinking about finding an alternative site to post my gigs and work on.

So my question is, is Fiverr doing anything to protect genuine users actively or are they only relying on us, the users, to spot the scams, posting about them and their dangers, hoping people read the posts and dont't fall for the scams. Don't get me wrong, I find it important to be aware of how to avoid scams, but I also know that many people are unsafe online and/or more prone to fall for such scams, especially if they are not tech savvy or just naiv. But I do find the amount of fraudulent activity on here concerning (Mind you I have no experience on other sites). I would love to hear your opinion about this. 

Stay safe, 

Laurence Schartz  

Hi Laurence!

I understand your frustrations and concerns.

We have several protocols designed to prevent scammers from having continued access to the site. Unfortunately, they continue to be increasingly clever in the ways they bypass certain securities. That's why we regularly inform the community about potential scams, empowering our users to stay vigilant and protect themselves alongside the various security systems we have in place.