Why standing out matters?

Hello all!

It's been a while!

I've been thinking quite a lot about posting this topic for a while, so hopefully, it will prove useful to at least a few people.

Many times, when newcomers post on the forum, more regular sellers tell them to 'stand out' and offer something unique. 

However, I think we don't always specify WHY. 

So... why is being a bit different from the rest so important? 

There are a few answers to this question, but I will tell you the most important one:

Believe it or not, standing out means less competition. 

Whether you do this by having a cool art style that no one else has (like some artists I like ordering from) or by setting up gigs in niches that just aren't too crowded yet, you're making it easier for people who need exactly what you offer to find you!

Now, does this mean that you should offer something no one else is doing?

Yes and...no.

What I do as a TRS is simple. I try to understand what buyers are looking for.

If 3-4-5 people come to me asking for X, I will make a gig about it! Sometimes, it will work out; sometimes, the fad will be over before it's discovered - and that's fine. What matters is trying to cater to my audience. 

Of course, with a brand new account, you don't have this sort of flexibility, and that's okay! However, there are still ways for you to shine.

How can you do that? Honestly, this depends a lot on your niche. But as a writer, I know what I would do. 

If I were to start over on Fiverr, there would be a good number of things I'd have to do differently than when I joined in 2017. 

- I would have to prove my skills. Any bits of old writing I'd had (yes, even the cringy fanfiction from the past) would be displayed proudly on my profile.

- I would also not make a gig image that looks exactly like everyone else's! Come on, is that really the way to go? Don't use a template; be creative! 

- And lastly, I would not stop learning. Day and night, I'd be studying new things I can offer and ways I can be better. I'd be attending writing classes left and right.

Now, would this work out for me? Who knows... But I'd have a chance, at least!

NOTE: That babbling aside, there is one really important thing. When you freelance, you're not just working a regular desk job. You're usually doing something that either requires a lot of creativity, some specific skills, or both.

So don't do something that you don't enjoy because people says you can earn a lot of cash from it. Sell something you are PASSIONATE about, something that you can see yourself selling for many years. 

THAT will also set you apart. 

(disclaimer: this post was written solely by me before my tea/coffee. I used Grammarly to help edit some typos because it's too early for me to see well just yet 😛

Edited by katakatica
Added an important note
  • Like 56
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Insightful 5

9 minutes ago, katakatica said:

If 3-4-5 people come to me asking for X, I will make a gig about it! Sometimes, it will work out; sometimes, the fad will be over before it's discovered - and that's fine. What matters is trying to cater to my audience. 

Makes a mental note of this and he needs to start doing this. 

Thank you. 🙌

• Like 28
  • Up 1

6 minutes ago, priyank_mod said:

Makes a mental note of this and he needs to start doing this. 

Thank you. 🙌

(not so secretly; this is how I got into NFT writing when it was still really big, it worked out really well for a while... but it was weird :D)

• Like 30
  • Up 1

• Kesha featured this topic
On 8/17/2024 at 3:42 AM, katakatica said:

Hello all!

It's been a while!

I've been thinking quite a lot about posting this topic for a while, so hopefully, it will prove useful to at least a few people.

Many times, when newcomers post on the forum, more regular sellers tell them to 'stand out' and offer something unique. 

There are a few answers to this question, but I will tell you the most important one:

Whether you do this by having a cool art style that no one else has (like some artists I like ordering from) or by setting up gigs in niches that just aren't too crowded yet, you're making it easier for people who need exactly what you offer to find you!

Yes and...no.

Of course, with a brand new account, you don't have this sort of flexibility, and that's okay! However, there are still ways for you to shine.

How can you do that? Honestly, this depends a lot on your niche. But as a writer, I know what I would do. 

If I were to start over on Fiverr, there would be a good number of things I'd have to do differently than when I joined in 2017. 

- I would have to prove my skills. Any bits of old writing I'd had (yes, even the cringy fanfiction from the past) would be displayed proudly on my profile.

- I would also not make a gig image that looks exactly like everyone else's! Come on, is that really the way to go? Don't use a template; be creative! 

- And lastly, I would not stop learning. Day and night, I'd be studying new things I can offer and ways I can be better. I'd be attending writing classes left and right.

NOTE: That babbling aside, there is one really important thing. When you freelance, you're not just working a regular desk job. You're usually doing something that either requires a lot of creativity, some specific skills, or both.

So don't do something that you don't enjoy because people says you can earn a lot of cash from it. Sell something you are PASSIONATE about, something that you can see yourself selling for many years. 

(disclaimer: this post was written solely by me before my tea/coffee. I used Grammarly to help edit some typos because it's too early for me to see well just yet 😛

Incredible advice, @katakatica! Thanks for sharing with the community. 

• Like 30
  • Up 1

2 hours ago, Kesha said:

Incredible advice, @katakatica! Thanks for sharing with the community. 

Still not enough for me (one of the first writers in my niche with many years of experience) to be Pro... so there's a lot more to do!
(jokes aside, I know plenty of things I can still improve!)

I think in today's world, it's truly hard to find something unique to offer, so I definitely don't blame new sellers for not knowing what to do, but I do hope that my words will help some people!

• Like 29
  • Up 1

On 8/17/2024 at 1:42 PM, katakatica said:

Hello all!

It's been a while!

Yes and...no.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 9

On 8/17/2024 at 12:42 PM, katakatica said:

Hello all!

It's been a while!

Yes and...no.

If we are making some specific gigs that have some clients but not every person needs that work? like if we have a gig for a restaurant logo. it is for some specific clients, not everyone needs this. Then how should we work for clients to get many orders?

• Like 9