Any way to hide the earnings mentioned in Fiverr gig reviews?

sannansyed

Question

When I visit one of my gigs on Fiverr, even when logged out (Inside an icognito tab), it shows me the amount of money each project has made me and its duration, like so:
"PKR123-PKR789 Price

4 weeks Duration"

I don't mind the duration, as it may be helpful in certain cases to know a seller's efficiency, but I don't want every random person visiting my gig to be able to see, even in a range, how much I make from any of my projects. I visited my gig today and was outraged seeing that they revealed this on my gig without prior consent from me. Do I not have the right to decide if my earnings should be public or not?

I am currently not able to find any setting to change this in the Fiverr website and mobile app, but I really hope it exists. If it does not, then I hope this post gets enough traction and support from other sellers that it reaches Fiverr and makes them realize that they cannot just reveal anything they want from a seller's private info without consent just to gain the support of buyers. That, or for any other reasons they may have.

• Like 7
  • Up 4

16 answers to this question

I've noticed that sometimes it shows earnings and sometimes it doesn't, and I've looked around in all of my settings to see if there's an opt in/out. My guess is that there will soon be a way to pay in order to have it hidden.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Up 2

It seems like the earnings visibility on gigs can be inconsistent. While I haven't personally noticed this issue, it might be worth suggesting to Fiverr that they add an option to hide earnings. It could potentially be offered as a feature in the future. Keeping track of updates and reaching out to support might also help address this concern.

• Like 4
  • Up 1

6 minutes ago, sannansyed said:

Also, regarding the email, I can write it earlier than next month but am quite busy for a while and want to right a weightful, evidence-loaded email. So when I say next month, I meant next month at max. And I don't think it hurts for multiple people sending them the same email, I think it's probably even better as it would signify the weight of this problem.

Our grievances or concerns don't matter much, since the feature was introduced unilaterally without consulting us regarding our privacy. 

But recently a few discussions happened on the forum where buyers have complained and they wrote to support because it is a privacy concern for them also.  So may be if enough buyers complain in due time, they might re-consider it or make it optional. 

• Like 1
  • Up 2

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

I've noticed that sometimes it shows earnings and sometimes it doesn't, and I've looked around in all of my settings to see if there's an opt in/out. My guess is that there will soon be a way to pay in order to have it hidden.

Well, I sure do hope it's included in the seller plus subscription if that ever happens and they don't charge additionally. But even then, It's just extremely weird to show this without consent. I don't know the laws but considering Fiverr's track record with the recent updates, I feel like they didn't consult the lawyers with this one. I think there's probably a law, perhaps in Europe, protecting people from sites publishing their private data, especially about something as sensitive as earnings, without their prior consent.

Anyhow, in my case, it's consistently up. I refreshed it many times while being logged out, and on multiple devices. It doesn't show up yet on the mobile app, but still does on the website consistently.

Edited by sannansyed
  • Like 7
  • Up 2

I have decided to write an email to Fiverr's customer support to request the solution of this problem by having a feature added for sellers to toggle their preference to show their earnings or not sometime later next month.

However, for it to even be considered as an option, this post needs enough people to agree with the fact that Fiverr is acting unethically by showing the earnings of sellers publicly without their consent and that this problem is detrimental for them to stay on the platform.

My hopes aren't very high, but if this issue gets some serious attention, comments are posted in agreement, more such posts are created, etc., then we might be able to make a change.

• Like 2
  • Up 1

@priyank_mod I am glad to see you already made a post on that.. But most importantly, I am glad to see that so many people care about this!

Btw, regarding the posts, I am not sure how the process is on this website. Are similar posts okay here or do we have the same system as StackExchange to delete/close them? I can go ahead and remove my post if it is the latter case.

Edit: Also, regarding the email, I can write it earlier than next month but am quite busy for a while and want to right a weightful, evidence-loaded email. So when I said next month, I meant next month at max. And I don't think it hurts for multiple people sending them the same email, I think it's probably even better as it would signify the weight of this problem. So I welcome everyone to write to them about it.

Edited by sannansyed
  • Like 1
  • Up 1

@listing_guys Well, it depends on a case by case basis. In certain gigs, it might prove useful, while in others, such as some software development ones, it might be entirely counterproductive because a lot of the times, certain things cost significantly different than others with the same development time, while they still technically fit within one gig. Also, sometimes, the time would be an inadequate representation of the time actually spent on the project. For example, in certain cases, there would be buyers that respond promptly while others who have a pattern of responding only after 5 or 6 business days and ending up prolonging the project. There are multiple factors that might show the time more than double, or in rare cases, even tripple than the actual time spent on the project itself.

All in all, I think this is more counterproductive in a lot of cases which is the reason I am proposing to make this something a seller themselves can turn on/off instead of enforcing it. Oh, and not to mention the very slight and minor issue of them violating the personal rights of many individuals by revealing information about their earning without their consent 😊 /s.

If you still consider this a great feature, then perhaps it would be helpful for you to provide some reasons for it.

Edited by sannansyed
  • Up 1