Proofreading

sania_munshi

Hey all, I have my proofreading and copyediting gigs on Fiverr for the last one and a half months. I had good impressions but in the last 24 hours two gigs of mine out of four had 0 impression. I don't know the reason. This is the first time I'm facing this. I have all the things like presenting strong sample works, effective gig images, proper keywords and most surprisingly typing my gig titles my gigs are seen on the front page. So what's the reason behind this?

I'm a newbie and also I have neither a degree or certification, but what I own is a strong grasp over English.

So what would you think guys?

Fiverr's algorithm promotes gigs of new sellers usually for 2-5 days (in a month). If you don't make any sales in that period, then it is most likely that you never will or maybe only make 1 sale in 3-4 months. On top of that, the niche you chose for freelancing is too saturated, making it even more challenging to gain visibility and attract clients.

Maybe change the gig image text that says "PROOFREADING ON FICTIONS".

In "I will proofread english fictional stories with copyediting" gig maybe change "Hurry up!! thrilled to collaborate with you!".

In that gig your package titles are 420p, 720p and 1080p. Since they're more like video resolutions, are they relevant enough to a proofreading gig?

In your gig "I will proofread and copyedit your children books in english" the 2nd gig image says "GET YOUR CHILDREN'S STORIES PROFREAD AND COPYEDITED". Maybe change that. Maybe reword the gig title.

• Like 1
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, milos_siena said:

It could be that AI generated gig descriptions are the cause for no orders, and after some time the algorithm stopped to favor you.

Sir, it's not AI generated. Please don't say like this. It's all I wrote myself. I don't need to rely on those. I have a strong hold on English,

1 hour ago, hollowm13 said:

Fiverr's algorithm promotes gigs of new sellers usually for 2-5 days (in a month). If you don't make any sales in that period, then it is most likely that you never will or maybe only make 1 sale in 3-4 months. On top of that, the niche you chose for freelancing is too saturated, making it even more challenging to gain visibility and attract clients.

You mean new gigs are given chances for the first 2 to 5 days? or every month's 2 to 5 days?

9 minutes ago, sania_munshi said:

Sir, it's not AI generated. Please don't say like this. It's all I wrote myself. I don't need to rely on those. I have a strong hold on English,

I genuinely do not mean any harm by saying this, but your English might not be as good as you think. There are many errors in both the way you write here and in your gigs, even though they do seem AI-inspired (at best.)

People might be concerned about ordering from you, which could be causing your gigs to be buried more and more.

When someone's first language (I'm assuming this, perhaps I'm wrong) isn't English, they learn things a certain way. However, that often does not make them PROFICIENT in the language. The reverse can happen, too: some people who speak it as a first language struggle with grammar! Languages are hard! 

If I were you, I'd think about the services I offer a bit more. 

• Up 5

2 minutes ago, katakatica said:

I genuinely do not mean any harm by saying this, but your English might not be as good as you think. There are many errors in both the way you write here and in your gigs, even though they do seem AI-inspired (at best.)

People might be concerned about ordering from you, which could be causing your gigs to be buried more and more.

When someone's first language (I'm assuming this, perhaps I'm wrong) isn't English, they learn things a certain way. However, that often does not make them PROFICIENT in the language. The reverse can happen, too: some people who speak it as a first language struggle with grammar! Languages are hard! 

So do you think I'm inappropriate?

• Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, sania_munshi said:

You mean new gigs are given chances for the first 2 to 5 days? or every month's 2 to 5 days?

That's just an educated guess but yeah new sellers get a small boost every now and then. For me, it was at the end of the month.

4 minutes ago, katakatica said:

But Mam, I wrote all of those by myself. These are not AI-generated.

13 minutes ago, sania_munshi said:

So do you think I'm inappropriate?

No. I  just think that English isn't good enough to be an editor/proofreader. I don't proofread either, and I'm a writer. You need a very specific set of skills for it.

13 minutes ago, sania_munshi said:

But Mam, I wrote all of those by myself. These are not AI-generated.

It still reads a bit like AI. But that's still not the main issue. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, katakatica said:

No. I  just think that English isn't good enough to be an editor/proofreader. I don't proofread either, and I'm a writer. You need a very specific set of skills for it.

But Mam, no I put a lot of effort to make this.

3 minutes ago, katakatica said:

Have you gone through my gig? Which gig of mine have you gone through?

3 minutes ago, sania_munshi said:

Have you gone through my gig? Which gig of mine have you gone through?

All of them.

They are OK, but they sound a bit awkward. There might not be any big grammatical errors, but you just don't sound 'fluent'. 

If you were offering something else, like videos, etc. I wouldn't mind much, but proofreading requires a different degree of fluency. I speak five languages fluently(ish) and I'm learning 2 others, but I'm only confident enough in my English to write in it. That's just how it is sometimes. 

• Like 3

Just now, katakatica said:

All of them.

They are OK, but they sound a bit awkward. There might not be any big grammatical errors, but you just don't sound 'fluent'. 

If you were offering something else, like videos, etc. I wouldn't mind much, but proofreading requires a different degree of fluency. I speak five languages fluently(ish) and I'm learning 2 others, but I'm only confident enough in my English to write in it. That's just how it is sometimes. 

So do you think I'll not be able to bag orders? And why do you think these are awkward? I've provided samples as well.

@katakatica Let it go
She is convinced of her ability, yet 2 experienced sellers have already pointed out to her that there are errors in her texts. And a Fiverr Staff member also points out to her that AI has been used in her texts.

I think it is more likely a mix of AI and self-written text. And to be sure, I asked ChatGPT. ChatGPT's answer is below.

The text has certain characteristics that may suggest it was written by an AI, but it also has some elements that indicate it could be written by a human. Here's an analysis of why it could be perceived as such:

Lack of Personalization and Contextual Understanding: The text reads like a generic service offering without specific examples or personal anecdotes, which is typical in AI-generated content. However, this alone is not conclusive evidence.

Structure and Flow: The text is relatively well-structured and covers the key points clearly, which is a strength of AI-generated text. However, it has a few awkward phrasings and abrupt transitions that could be seen in both AI and human writing.

Repetitiveness and Redundancy: The mention of "copyediting" and "rewriting" is repeated, which could suggest either a human oversight or AI’s tendency to reiterate key points.

Grammar and Punctuation: While the text generally has good grammar, there are minor errors (e.g., "Moreover, I'll rewrite your texts so that your stories can gain more attraction" where "gain more attraction" is slightly off). These subtle mistakes can occur in both human and AI writing.

Promotional Tone: The promotional and enthusiastic tone ("Hey all!!", "Don't let that hold you back.") is common in both AI-generated marketing content and human-written advertisements.

Overall, the text does not have any glaring signs of being written by AI, but certain elements like the repetition, generic tone, and slight awkwardness in phrasing can hint at it. However, it could very well be written by a human aiming for a straightforward and professional tone.

3 minutes ago, filipdevaere said:

@katakatica Let it go
She is convinced of her ability, yet 2 experienced sellers have already pointed out to her that there are errors in her texts. And a Fiverr Staff member also points out to her that AI has been used in her texts.

I think it is more likely a mix of AI and self-written text. And to be sure, I asked ChatGPT. ChatGPT's answer is below.

The text has certain characteristics that may suggest it was written by an AI, but it also has some elements that indicate it could be written by a human. Here's an analysis of why it could be perceived as such:

Lack of Personalization and Contextual Understanding: The text reads like a generic service offering without specific examples or personal anecdotes, which is typical in AI-generated content. However, this alone is not conclusive evidence.

Structure and Flow: The text is relatively well-structured and covers the key points clearly, which is a strength of AI-generated text. However, it has a few awkward phrasings and abrupt transitions that could be seen in both AI and human writing.

Repetitiveness and Redundancy: The mention of "copyediting" and "rewriting" is repeated, which could suggest either a human oversight or AI’s tendency to reiterate key points.

Grammar and Punctuation: While the text generally has good grammar, there are minor errors (e.g., "Moreover, I'll rewrite your texts so that your stories can gain more attraction" where "gain more attraction" is slightly off). These subtle mistakes can occur in both human and AI writing.

Promotional Tone: The promotional and enthusiastic tone ("Hey all!!", "Don't let that hold you back.") is common in both AI-generated marketing content and human-written advertisements.

Overall, the text does not have any glaring signs of being written by AI, but certain elements like the repetition, generic tone, and slight awkwardness in phrasing can hint at it. However, it could very well be written by a human aiming for a straightforward and professional tone.

I wrote it myself. I wanted to be professional.

Just now, sania_munshi said:

I wanted to be professional.

And this is how it should be.
But at the moment there are doubts among other sellers.

Time will tell. If you still haven't received a decent number of orders after half a year, then it will be clear who was right.

1 minute ago, filipdevaere said:

Time will tell. If you still haven't received a decent number of orders after half a year, then it will be clear who was right.

1 minute ago, filipdevaere said:

I mean, do you think I own the capability to bag orders?

7 minutes ago, sania_munshi said:

I mean, do you think I own the capability to bag orders?

The sentence "I mean, do you think I own the capability to bag orders?"  sounds slightly awkward to a native English speaker. This is already the second time you have used "bag orders".

Are you using translator software to translate from Hindi into English?

• Like 1
  • Up 2

@sania_munshi As a native English speaker, I agree with @katakatica and @filipdevaere,  Your gig wording is quite robotic and has several grammatical errors.  But it's worth noting that the Engliah Launguage is full of oddities, and we tend to speack a certain way, which sometimes defies logic compared to other languages. As such, the errors become more glaring. 

But here's my advice.   If one person picks up on something then it's up to you if you act upon it.  If several people pick up on it, then it's foolish to overlook.  So maybe, have a think about weather you need to go back over your gigs and address the concerns. 

Remember.  You asked for the feedback, If you're not prepared to listen, then there is very little point in asking the question. 

Edited by breals
  • Up 3
  • Support 2