Buying Reviews

perunwebdev

A few months ago, someone sent me a message on Fiverr asking to pay me to give him/her good reviews on Upwork. First of all, that's not my area of expertise. Second and most important, you should not pay a stranger to give you good reviews. That's wrong and I admit, maybe I should have reported him/her.

Has this ever happend to you as well?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, perunwebdev said:

A few months ago, someone sent me a message on Fiverr asking to pay me to give him/her good reviews on Upwork. First of all, that's not my area of expertise. Second and most important, you should not pay a stranger to give you good reviews. That's wrong and I admit, maybe I should have reported him/her.

It hasn't happened to me specifically on Fiverr but vice-versa. Upwork frequently has buyers looking for people to give them good Fiverr reviews. The buyer gives the seller the exact words to state in the review and everything. It sucks to know we've worked so hard for our reviews while others are getting them from family/friends and buying them. Though I believe Fiverr is supposed to take measures to detect and remove these fake reviews. You should've reported it, but have no doubt, they would've made a new account and done so again.

What do you say, @vickieito? Have you ever seen Fiverr do something about these reviews?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, perunwebdev said:

4 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

Yes it happens. Just politely say no and block them.

@williambryan392 really has the best response. Unfortunately, there are some people who think it's okay to pay to get good reviews. They are surprised when you tell them it's wrong and against Fiverr ToS. It's best to simply tell them 'no' and refuse to work with them.

6 hours ago, ashleymahan217 said:

It hasn't happened to me specifically on Fiverr but vice-versa. Upwork frequently has buyers looking for people to give them good Fiverr reviews. The buyer gives the seller the exact words to state in the review and everything. It sucks to know we've worked so hard for our reviews while others are getting them from family/friends and buying them. Though I believe Fiverr is supposed to take measures to detect and remove these fake reviews. You should've reported it, but have no doubt, they would've made a new account and done so again.

What do you say, @vickieito? Have you ever seen Fiverr do something about these reviews?

I think "fake" sellers paying for good reviews will eventually be found. Their lies will eventually catch up to them. If they have to pay for reviews, that just means that they don't have the talent or work ethic needed to be successful on this platform. An honest, skilled, and hard working seller will always get good reviews doing just that - being honest, delivering high-quality services, and working hard.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, ashleymahan217 said:

I have to agree to disagree with you, @vickieito@donnovan86 has the best answer. Don't let them get away with it! Equal review rights for all!

I totally agree with you both on this! I need to develop thicker skin ..this is the only way that Fiverr can start taking action.

I tried out the "report" flag for the first time yesterday (for several folks who were copying my gig description word for word), and was surprised to see how quickly those gigs got shut down. This might be my next favorite button to use besides the spam button. So, consider me in whenever you and @donnovan86 wants to bring justice to all those liars and copy cats!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 9:21 AM, vickieito said:

I totally agree with you both on this! I need to develop thicker skin ..this is the only way that Fiverr can start taking action.

I tried out the "report" flag for the first time yesterday (for several folks who were copying my gig description word for word), and was surprised to see how quickly those gigs got shut down. This might be my next favorite button to use besides the spam button. So, consider me in whenever you and @donnovan86 wants to bring justice to all those liars and copy cats!

I never knew they copied your gig descriptions! That's crazy. And to think, here I am trying so hard to make something LIKE your page when this whole time I could've just copied it and put my name on it.

I once tried to help a foreigner fix their profile description. I told him to try and put something more like "yada yada (insert your skills here) yada yada." He ended up copying the whole thing and putting the "insert your skills here" part instead of actually listing his skills. I'm like "yeahhh that's better, no one will know you copied that & that you don't actually speak fluent English" lol. (I didn't really, I helped him fix it bc I'm a good person but it's funny to think about him leaving it like that)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ashleymahan217 said:

I never knew they copied your gig descriptions! That's crazy. And to think, here I am trying so hard to make something LIKE your page when this whole time I could've just copied it and put my name on it.

Yesterday a "writer" on Fiverr contacted me asking for samples, posing as a buyer. I visit his profile, he copied my gig's name, description, my profile description, and obviously he was also trying to steal my samples too. Needless to say... I immediately told him to remove everything, otherwise I will report him. And he deleted everything. But clearly there are a lot of people just trying to emulate other people's success. These copycats are the reason why some buyers leave Fiverr. It's even funnier that the dude in question had double my price, yet he is stealing the description of someone with a lower price. If he is that good, why didn't he write the description and everythign else on his own? Yeah, lots of people just trying to con buyers and run off with their money...

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vickiespencer said:

How quickly? I have been still waiting since yesterday morning. They used to get shut down within hours.

Hi @vickiespencer - the first gig was shut down within minutes and a second one was paused. By the next day, 4 of the 5 gigs I reported were gone. I went ahead and reported the last one again and will see if it gets taken down as well tomorrow.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, catwriter said:

Perhaps his plan was to outsource the work he gets to you.

I know, I am flattered 🙂

The funny thing is that I checked my gigs for plagiarism and ended up on a site where someone actually stole all my images, profile image included, named themselves donovan and others stole my description from him. So there was an entire network of people, all having the same description stolen from me, they just changed their name.. I hate these people that take shortcuts like this instead of doing the work themselves... But I guess that's how life is..

Edited by donnovan86
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2022 at 4:26 AM, donnovan86 said:

Yesterday a "writer" on Fiverr contacted me asking for samples, posing as a buyer. I visit his profile, he copied my gig's name, description, my profile description, and obviously he was also trying to steal my samples too. Needless to say... I immediately told him to remove everything, otherwise I will report him. And he deleted everything. But clearly there are a lot of people just trying to emulate other people's success. These copycats are the reason why some buyers leave Fiverr. It's even funnier that the dude in question had double my price, yet he is stealing the description of someone with a lower price. If he is that good, why didn't he write the description and everythign else on his own? Yeah, lots of people just trying to con buyers and run off with their money...

This is so crazy to me! I never knew there was an issue of sellers stealing gig descriptions and such...I always just figured that they're hard to make different sometimes..but exact replicas AND charging more?! (it is kind of funny - how mad would you be if he succeeded in getting paid for his endeavors?!)

Anyways, you should take it as a compliment like @catwritersaid; I guess? He really, really, really wanted to be like you!

Edited by ashleymahan217
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1