Your Favorite Quote?

smashradio

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."

Henry Ford said that and it's perhaps my favorite quote about business. 

Some other favorite quotes of mine (not all related to business):

Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.
 Friedrich Nietzsche

"Common sense is not so common."
― Voltaire

It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful.”
 Anton LaVey

"Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow internet to see who they really are."
― Will Ferrell

"How the f.... did a generation raised on South Park and Family Guy manage to become so easily offended?"
― Unknown

What's your favorite quotes?

• Like 103
  • Up 6
  • Thanks 7

Oh I love this topic! I have a whole notebook with quotes, but I'll select a few;

"Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply." - Steven R. Covey

"The more you know, the more you know you don't know." - Aristoteles

"Some folks are wise and some are otherwise." - Tobias Smollett

"The trouble with life isn't that there is no answer, it's that there are so many." - Ruth Benedict

"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I'm thankful that thorns have roses." - Alphonse Karr

"Positivity is not just expecting the best to happen, but also accepting that whatever happens is for the best." - Ritu Ghatourey

I included these quotes because I love their phrasing and they make you think. Sorry if I included more than I was allowed to! But I finally had an opportunity to share them haha and hopefully others will enjoy them too! 

P.s. Anyone who wants more quotes I'm more than happy to send you one each day in your forum inbox 😜

• Like 76
  • Thanks 10

On 7/7/2022 at 6:05 PM, sabinespoems said:

Sorry if I included more than I was allowed to! 

Not at all! I love a good quote or ten! 

On 7/7/2022 at 6:05 PM, sabinespoems said:

"Some folks are wise and some are otherwise." - Tobias Smollett

I think that's my favorite from your list. I like quotes with humor.

• Like 77
  • Haha 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 5

The regulars will recognize this first one:

"If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail." (Attributed to Benjamin Franklin)

"Just because you see a turkey flying in a tornado, doesn't mean turkeys can fly." - Dave Ramsey (on the topic of economics)

"Most people won’t change until the pain of where they are exceeds the pain of change." (also) - Dave Ramsey

“When obstacles arise, you change your direction to reach your goal; you do not change your decision to get there.” - Zig Ziglar

“I'm not telling you it's going to be easy - I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.” - Art Williams

• Like 83
  • Thanks 4

My All time Use and Favorite,

"Great Minds think alike, but Fools rarely differ." - Unknown.

Another one that I always loved but turned out to actually be a misheard lyric song is, 

"What a Shame! The bride's groom was a horse." - From Panic at the Disco.

(What does it mean? I don't know but loved it since I was 10 until I recently found out the correct version.)

• Like 63
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 3

"Don't cheat, but be sure to work smart."  (My art teacher back in college)

"Money isn't everything but it sure does cover a LOT"  ( My mother)

"Thank you and I'm sorry are the two most powerful words in the world" (Some random sign I saw in a restaurant bar in Tokyo, not sure who said it)

"Admiring and understanding are the most opposite emotions" (Sosuke Aizen )

"Just eat and take a nap."  (Me)

• Like 68
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

"there are no facts, only interpretations." 

"distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful."

"the man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends." 

"all I need is a sheet of paper and something to write with, and then I can turn the world upside down." 

― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I'm tough, I'm ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. if that makes me a bitch, okay." 

― Madonna 

• Like 64
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3

2 hours ago, wordsfire said:

"there are no facts, only interpretations." 

The man liked his contradictions. 

"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.
 Friedrich Nietzsche

(You can't have truth without fact, but the man was a philospher, so it is to be expected.)

One subject he clearly was consistent on is punishment. He thought that all conventional justifications for punishment were irrelevant, in a sense, and that punishment (and the need to punish) was, in fact, simply an instinct – a "will to life" and "will to power." It's interesting stuff. If we internalize our instincts, it can cause what Nietzsche liked to call "ressentiment."

"the man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends." 

I'll counter this one with a quote from Anton LaVey, who interestingly enough, was inspired by Nietzsche. 

Why should I not hate mine enemies―if I "love" them does that not place me at their mercy?

"all I need is a sheet of paper and something to write with, and then I can turn the world upside down." 

― Friedrich Nietzsche

The power of words and the words of power. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 50
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 3

"If at first you don't succeed, try to hide your astonishment." - Harry F. Banks

"If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you're dead and rotten, either write the things worth reading, or do the things worth writing." - Benjamin Franklin

"I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car." - Will Rogers

"Do a common thing in an uncommon way." - Booker T. Washington

"Some of us are like wheelbarrows - only useful when pushed, and very easily upset." - Jack Herbert

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." - Dolly Parton

"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not!" - Mark Twain

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps because it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Henry David Thoreau

"A kick in the rear is a step forward." - Anonymous

"When faced with a challenge, look for a way, not a way out." - David L. Weatherford

• Like 64
  • Congrats! 4
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 5

14 hours ago, smashradio said:
16 hours ago, wordsfire said:

I'll counter this one with a quote from Anton LaVey, who interestingly enough, was inspired by Nietzsche. 

Why should I not hate mine enemies―if I "love" them does that not place me at their mercy?

I didn't know we were supposed to counter quotes with quotes but aight...

"I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects."

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."

― Oscar Wilde 

"in time we hate that which we often fear."

― William Shakespeare 

and

"of all the liars of the world, sometimes the worst are our own fears."

― Rudyard Kipling 

14 hours ago, smashradio said:

"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.
 Friedrich Nietzsche

quite a misquote unfortunately.

it is from none of his works. and there are no sources available.

https://philosophy.stackexchange.com/questions/47732/did-nietzsche-actually-say-or-write-sometimes-people-dont-want-to-hear-the-tr 

the closest similarity that I can remember would be from the early chapters of Thus Spake Zarathustra. but that was about contempt, not truth.

• Like 47
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 4

Another one attributed to Henry Ford (though with no record): “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”
If people have a problem, try to assess what their actual goal or need is; what do they want the outcome to be (independent of the tool they use to achieve it)? Craft the best solution for that problem and offer them that.

• Like 55
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, wordsfire said:

I didn't know we were supposed to counter quotes with quotes but aight...

"I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects."

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."

― Oscar Wilde 

"in time we hate that which we often fear."

― William Shakespeare 

and

"of all the liars of the world, sometimes the worst are our own fears."

― Rudyard Kipling 

Gotta have some fun with them, beyond just reading them. 

When it comes to the Nietzsche quote, you're absolutely right. It's a good quote, but as far as I can see, it's not from him. 

• Like 51
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 2

1. If anything can go wrong, it will.
2. If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the first one to go wrong.
3. If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway.
4. If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which something can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.
5. Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
6. If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

• Like 54
  • Haha 2
  • Congrats! 2
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, mikavirtanen said:

1. If anything can go wrong, it will.
2. If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the first one to go wrong.
3. If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway.
4. If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which something can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.
5. Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
6. If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

You must be in a positive mood 😄 . Or maybe a realist who's seen a lot. Lol

• Like 49
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

A dream is like a river, ever changing as it flows and a dreamer's just a vessel that must follow where it goes, trying to learn from what's behind you and never knowing what's in store - Garth Brooks

When you've reached the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on - Franklin D Roosevelt

The days are long but the years are short - unknown

• Like 62
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 2

I've got one:

Good timber does not grow with ease,
The stronger wind, the stronger trees,
The further sky, the greater length,
The more the storm, the more the strength.
By sun and cold, by rain and snow,
In trees and men good timbers grow.

This is from a poem called "Good Timber" by Douglas Malloch.

Nothing comes easy. Never be afraid of putting in the hard work. Never be bogged down by obstacles. The more hardship you work through, the stronger you will be 🙂 

• Like 62
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1