Take a closer look into a Seller profile before you buy & compare gigs/sellers

Guest multisync3

Well, that as well as saying he learned from the forum regarding a point to me shows that he is willing to discuss and to not insist on his opinion no matter what, doesn´t look immovable to me, and I can´t either see how saying ‘This is my view’ enforces one’s view on others.
I can´t see anything in this thread here which would make me ask him why he is partaking in this forum or what the difference between a spammer posting on this forum and him is, and wanted to express my opinion on this.
Maybe my wording wasn´t 100%, sorry then.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest multisync3

Pardon me, but you seem to be a person who believes that his reasoning and justification is sound, concrete and immovable.

You do not accept any alternative solution/observation of a particular point and you only continue to enforce your views with the disclaimer “This is my view etc.”.

Why are you even partaking on this forum then? Offering your observations and suggestions are fine but your inability to accept constructive criticism or a counter-argument to YOUR POV renders you an absolutely acute member on this forum.

What is the difference between a spammer posting on this forum and you?

I am not upset, I just want to know because in 90% post, this is the perception you are imposing onto others.

I hope you read this carefully and answer without having a kindergarten attitude yourself.

That’s by far the biggest BS so far someone replied to me, sorry. Each and every entry in this forum is a personal opinion no matter if you add “in my view etc” or not.

If you think I do spam the forum just flag my content. My “inability” to express myself is taken and I will try to do better. I only hope you are that critical to yourself.

Thank you.

Guest multisync3

Well, that as well as saying he learned from the forum regarding a point to me shows that he is willing to discuss and to not insist on his opinion no matter what, doesn´t look immovable to me, and I can´t either see how saying ‘This is my view’ enforces one’s view on others.

I can´t see anything in this thread here which would make me ask him why he is partaking in this forum or what the difference between a spammer posting on this forum and him is, and wanted to express my opinion on this.

Maybe my wording wasn´t 100%, sorry then.

Appreciated 😉 (20)

That’s by far the biggest BS so far someone replied to me, sorry. Each and every entry in this forum is a personal opinion no matter if you add “in my view etc” or not.

If you think I do spam the forum just flag my content. My “inability” to express myself is taken and I will try to do better. I only hope you are that critical to yourself.

Thank you.

That’s by far the biggest BS so far someone replied to me, sorry.

Therein proving my point once again.

It seems like maybe you couldn’t grasp what I was asking, nonetheless, I rest my case.

sigh

Guest multisync3

That’s by far the biggest BS so far someone replied to me, sorry.

Therein proving my point once again.

It seems like maybe you couldn’t grasp what I was asking, nonetheless, I rest my case.

sigh

Nothing is proved here…

If someone joins my discussion he will get an answer; you called it spamming. Up to you…

Pardon me, but you seem to be a person who believes that his reasoning and justification is sound, concrete and immovable.

You do not accept any alternative solution/observation of a particular point and you only continue to enforce your views with the disclaimer “This is my view etc.”.

Why are you even partaking on this forum then? Offering your observations and suggestions are fine but your inability to accept constructive criticism or a counter-argument to YOUR POV renders you an absolutely acute member on this forum.

What is the difference between a spammer posting on this forum and you?

I am not upset, I just want to know because in 90% post, this is the perception you are imposing onto others.

I hope you read this carefully and answer without having a kindergarten attitude yourself.

I have to say I don’t see this DJ. I have been involved with some to and fro with the OP on a number of topics and while some of what he says seems inflammatory at times, this does not mean it is not a genuinely held opinion. I find he has stood by his opinions when questioned and at other times has changed his opinion as well as cause me to reconsider my opinion or at least empathize with his.

We may continue to disagree on things and have to agree to disagree but debate that has the above effects is always positive.

Guest multisync3

I have to say I don’t see this DJ. I have been involved with some to and fro with the OP on a number of topics and while some of what he says seems inflammatory at times, this does not mean it is not a genuinely held opinion. I find he has stood by his opinions when questioned and at other times has changed his opinion as well as cause me to reconsider my opinion or at least empathize with his.

We may continue to disagree on things and have to agree to disagree but debate that has the above effects is always positive.

Moderator - Arbitrator - Mediator 🏆 Thank you.

I am very happy with your post. So much to learn as a seller. For long, I have battled with using my real pictures and location on fiverr. I came to the conclusion that doing so would greatly increase trust with potential buyers…so I created a new account, a new gig and I am on my way to adding a video description about the service.

Well, as some of you know I didn’t had a high share of good experiences when purchasing my 9 gigs. Results so far: 8 delivered with just 1 outstanding positive experience, 7 rather negative and another gig is outstanding/open (and it doesn’t look good in terms of quality & timely delivery.

However, here are my tips to make better choices when you want to buy a gig.

1. Rating. A vast amount of 5 star ratings is in most cases justified, I believe, especially for long-standing sellers. But not always. I would be careful with sellers reaching a vast amount of ratings in a very short time. I have seen ratings left from the very same buyers to the very same seller in a frequent interval of 4-5 ratings at the time. Possible? Well, ask yourself.

2. A professional seller should show his real own picture in the profile. Many use internet photos. (I myself use a old passport picture - I am NOT a seller, only a buyer).

3. A profile description should say something about you, your experience and skills to give give a potential seller the best impression.

4. Is the location important? We are on the internet, so it doesn’t matter where you source your gig BUT I had 2-3 times the impression some sellers do not reveal their real location. My outstanding/open gig seller says he is in UK, his profile pic is fake and comes from a website in Romania, also his English is rather poor. So ask yourself how creditable such a seller is.

5. Why not ask a previous buyer for more details on his/her experience (if possible).

6. Communication (before and after the gig)

7. Delivery

Did the seller deliver what was described / agreed in quality and time? Are you not happy and he offers you a cancellation and refund (eventually for a better rating)? Again credibility!?

8. I believe in “Do it right at the first time”, IF the gig is measurable based on defined and agreed data to deliver. No excuses then. A creative writing text might be a different story as not direct measurable.

9. Compare sellers and gigs

I would say these are the 9 key points to consider to make your purchase a successful one.

You have made some excellent points here. See my comments in bold.

1. Rating. A vast amount of 5 star ratings is in most cases justified, I believe, especially for long-standing sellers. But not always. I would be careful with sellers reaching a vast amount of ratings in a very short time. I have seen ratings left from the very same buyers to the very same seller in a frequent interval of 4-5 ratings at the time. Possible? Well, ask yourself.

Well, I have hired newbie sellers on various topics. Some of them delivered exceptionally well done gigs. Not only because I was impress with the quality of work, but becuase I needed more of it, I have hired them multiples times. Since they were new, I was the only reviewer for about four or five times in a row.

This has happened several times. So, yes, it is possible.

On the other hand, I have been duped by some sellers with great reviews - to get some of the worst - actually embarrasing - gigs. I know for a fact those are the ones who must have traded reviews - fake reviews or whatever it’s called. So, again yes, it most certainly can be fake!!!

1. A professional seller should show his real own picture in the profile. Many use internet photos. (I myself use a old passport picture - I am NOT a seller, only a buyer).

I have many great, honest sellers from all levels that do NOT use their photos. It does not diminish the quality of their work or professionalism.

1. A profile description should say something about you, your experience and skills to give give a potential seller the best impression.

Absolutely, 100% agree without exception.

1. Is the location important? We are on the internet, so it doesn’t matter where you source your gig BUT I had 2-3 times the impression some sellers do not reveal their real location. My outstanding/open gig seller says he is in UK, his profile pic is fake and comes from a website in Romania, also his English is rather poor. So ask yourself how creditable such a seller is.

You are correct. There is a thread where we talk about people faking their locations in hopes of getting more orders.

Frankly, I don’t care where someone is living, if I am ordering a proofreading/editing gig; they need to have a flawlessly written description. Afterall, why would I pay someone to proofread anything if their writing skill isn’t better than mine?

1. Why not ask a previous buyer for more details on his/her experience (if possible).

I actually do not like being contacted on my 5r page. Since you and I do not have gigs, there isn’t a contact me button. The only way this can happen is if the buyer is also a seller and has a gig or we have worked with the seller before.

1. Communication (before and after the gig)

All I am going to say for this one is 😀

Guest multisync3

I am very happy with your post. So much to learn as a seller. For long, I have battled with using my real pictures and location on fiverr. I came to the conclusion that doing so would greatly increase trust with potential buyers…so I created a new account, a new gig and I am on my way to adding a video description about the service.

I am convinced it will support your business by doing so. Thank you and good luck.

Guest multisync3

You have made some excellent points here. See my comments in bold.

Well, I have hired newbie sellers on various topics. Some of them delivered exceptionally well done gigs. Not only because I was impress with the quality of work, but becuase I needed more of it, I have hired them multiples times. Since they were new, I was the only reviewer for about four or five times in a row.

This has happened several times. So, yes, it is possible.

On the other hand, I have been duped by some sellers with great reviews - to get some of the worst - actually embarrasing - gigs. I know for a fact those are the ones who must have traded reviews - fake reviews or whatever it’s called. So, again yes, it most certainly can be fake!!!

1. A professional seller should show his real own picture in the profile. Many use internet photos. (I myself use a old passport picture - I am NOT a seller, only a buyer).

I have many great, honest sellers from all levels that do NOT use their photos. It does not diminish the quality of their work or professionalism.

1. A profile description should say something about you, your experience and skills to give give a potential seller the best impression.

Absolutely, 100% agree without exception.

1. Is the location important? We are on the internet, so it doesn’t matter where you source your gig BUT I had 2-3 times the impression some sellers do not reveal their real location. My outstanding/open gig seller says he is in UK, his profile pic is fake and comes from a website in Romania, also his English is rather poor. So ask yourself how creditable such a seller is.

You are correct. There is a thread where we talk about people faking their locations in hopes of getting more orders.

Frankly, I don’t care where someone is living, if I am ordering a proofreading/editing gig; they need to have a flawlessly written description. Afterall, why would I pay someone to proofread anything if their writing skill isn’t better than mine?

1. Why not ask a previous buyer for more details on his/her experience (if possible).

I actually do not like being contacted on my 5r page. Since you and I do not have gigs, there isn’t a contact me button. The only way this can happen is if the buyer is also a seller and has a gig or we have worked with the seller before.

1. Communication (before and after the gig)

All I am going to say for this one is 😀

1. Understood. The rating of the seller I have seen looks strange to me. Can I send you the seller in a PM as I want to know if I am just too suspicious or if you probably can see as well something suspicious.

2. I think a logo or some kind of branding is ok but a fake pic is a no-go. No pic at all leaves at least a “incomplete” impression. A real photo of the seller can have tremendous impact as it can imply to the seller professionalism, personality and even charisma. And finally his decision to say “YES, that’s my man/woman” and orders with you BECAUSE of your outstanding real picture. This issue might be especially for new sellers a key point. It’s different with “old” and proven seller who have returning buyers - as they already know your service quality, they don’t care about a picture.

Rest fine with me. Thank you for sharing.

1. Understood. The rating of the seller I have seen looks strange to me. Can I send you the seller in a PM as I want to know if I am just too suspicious or if you probably can see as well something suspicious.

2. I think a logo or some kind of branding is ok but a fake pic is a no-go. No pic at all leaves at least a “incomplete” impression. A real photo of the seller can have tremendous impact as it can imply to the seller professionalism, personality and even charisma. And finally his decision to say “YES, that’s my man/woman” and orders with you BECAUSE of your outstanding real picture. This issue might be especially for new sellers a key point. It’s different with “old” and proven seller who have returning buyers - as they already know your service quality, they don’t care about a picture.

Can I send you the seller in a PM as I want to know if I am just too suspicious or if you probably can see as well something suspicious.

Yes, by all means feel free to do so. I have to go back to work so it may be a few hours before I respond.

so I created a new account, a new gig and I am on my way to adding a video description about the service.

Do you mean that you have multiple accounts? That’s strictly forbidden by Fiverr’s Terms of Service.

Can I send you the seller in a PM as I want to know if I am just too suspicious or if you probably can see as well something suspicious.

Thanks for sending this via PM. I looked him up and you are right, he is very suspicious!

I am going to respond here without mentioning any names so others can join in, if they choose to do so.

Here are the reasons why:

(1) 1/3 of the 142 purchases come from two buyers. Both of these buyers created their account in the same month & year.

(2) One of the two buyers, although he has no gigs, apparently, is in the same line of work as the seller. It’s like a Spanish translator hiring a Spanish translator.

(3) They both seem to buy 3 to 5 at a time in a row. You know this is not the sort of gig where someone would buy 5 in a row so quickly. Even if they bought on different days and reviewed it on same day, it should still only be two - MAX. You can only review 30 days after delivery.

(4) When I Google searched both buyers, they don’t seemed to have purchased any other gigs. They’ve been around for nine months. If their account was new, then yes.

If you put: fiverr gina_riley2 or ga_riley2 (my old account); you’ll find all sorts of reviews that I left on on gigs I’ve purchased.

You can Google yourself as well.

I concur with your suspicion. I would not buy from him.

Far as your second question, that would be better to ask a seller like Mila, Carol, Maddie, DJ, Writer, Eoin, etc. I have never sold, so I really don’t know.

Guest multisync3

Thanks for sending this via PM. I looked him up and you are right, he is very suspicious!

I am going to respond here without mentioning any names so others can join in, if they choose to do so.

Here are the reasons why:

(1) 1/3 of the 142 purchases come from two buyers. Both of these buyers created their account in the same month & year.

(2) One of the two buyers, although he has no gigs, apparently, is in the same line of work as the seller. It’s like a Spanish translator hiring a Spanish translator.

(3) They both seem to buy 3 to 5 at a time in a row. You know this is not the sort of gig where someone would buy 5 in a row so quickly. Even if they bought on different days and reviewed it on same day, it should still only be two - MAX. You can only review 30 days after delivery.

(4) When I Google searched both buyers, they don’t seemed to have purchased any other gigs. They’ve been around for nine months. If their account was new, then yes.

If you put: fiverr gina_riley2 or ga_riley2 (my old account); you’ll find all sorts of reviews that I left on on gigs I’ve purchased.

You can Google yourself as well.

I concur with your suspicion. I would not buy from him.

Far as your second question, that would be better to ask a seller like Mila, Carol, Maddie, DJ, Writer, Eoin, etc. I have never sold, so I really don’t know.

Thank you, detective Riley 😉

Further I asked him this:

Well, it’s clear that you don’t archive your delivery. Also I see the clicks ONLY come from google.com. For me strange is also your rating as I can see 2-3 same buyers buying and rating you repeatedly and multiple times. Looks fishy for me. Explain please!

Furthermore I found out that you profile picture is just from internet in Romania, probably you are not even in UK as your profile says. All seems very strange to me and I am waiting for your explanation.

Answer:

I have more repeat buyers, I have share my gig in social media and get traffic to my website, Im doing seo then I seo and drive traffic to them, They really satisfied my work. This profile picture not mine he is a model of UK. I am a black guy.

Unfortunately THIS is my last open gig and I know delivery will be worse. I got experience in meantime which I not had in the beginning when placed the order. Lesson learned.

This seller said he can’t change his gig description as he has active running gigs and need to wait 20 days to change. Is this a correct statement that you need to wait xx days to change your description if active gigs?

Well, it’s clear that you don’t archive your delivery. Also I see the clicks ONLY come from google.com. For me strange is also your rating as I can see 2-3 same buyers buying and rating you repeatedly and multiple times. Looks fishy for me. Explain please!

Furthermore I found out that you profile picture is just from internet in Romania, probably you are not even in UK as your profile says. All seems very strange to me and I am waiting for your explanation.

Answer:

I have more repeat buyers, I have share my gig in social media and get traffic to my website, Im doing seo then I seo and drive traffic to them, They really satisfied my work. This profile picture not mine he is a model of UK. I am a black guy.

Unfortunately THIS is my last open gig and I know delivery will be worse. I got experience in meantime which I not had in the beginning when placed the order. Lesson learned.

This seller said he can’t change his gig description as he has active running gigs and need to wait 20 days to change. Is this a correct statement that you need to wait xx days to change your description if active gigs?

So, he pretty much confirmed what you were thinking!

Forget about that guy and go for someone else. I hope you hadn’t already placed an order?

Oh, if you want to call a particular person, you have use the @ symbol.

EX: @username or @multisync3. 🙂

Guest multisync3

So, he pretty much confirmed what you were thinking!

Forget about that guy and go for someone else. I hope you hadn’t already placed an order?

Oh, if you want to call a particular person, you have use the @ symbol.

EX: @username or @multisync3. 🙂

Yes, thx.

I did placed already and tomorrow is his delivery date. The result will obviously not reached. Yes, knew about the @username 😉

Guest multisync3

I like to hear your opinion…
To which extent do you think it is “fair” to put the sellers voluntarily given information into the rating (fake picture, probably fake location etc…) plus the "investigated info?

Should I even report him to Fiverr? Suggestions?

I did some testing last year with 2 profile photos. Had used the same photo for years and sales were pretty good. Then i switched to a photo that was taken when i got back from a 2 day job-site, hadn’t shaved, was wearing work clothes with allot of paint etc. Kept using this photo for around 4 months and the amount of orders from new clients decreased significantly. Switched back to my old photo and sales went back to normal.

The only con i ever noticed when using a photo is occasionally people will steal it. Found someone using my photo once on Facebook and have also found it in forum profiles a couple of times.

It’s strange why someone would want to take your money in exchange for a product/service yet remain anonymous (like hiding his/her face). Lol, you wouldn’t want to walk to a shop where all sellers wear masks, and be expected to buy with confidence. I would personally be uncomfortable dealing with such a person. If you are selling anything to the public, you MUST do it behind your photo (Identity) because I believe buyers have a right to see your face before they buy from you.

I like to hear your opinion…

To which extent do you think it is “fair” to put the sellers voluntarily given information into the rating (fake picture, probably fake location etc…) plus the "investigated info?

Should I even report him to Fiverr? Suggestions?

Rate the service. If you put in maybes or probablies then it is likely your review could be removed for being unfair.

If you think the seller is doing something inappropriate or against ToS then report them to CS with a clear explanation.

Then move on.

Thank you. Good point! Updated to…

another gig is outstanding/open

Can you give me an example why a seller shouldn’t use it’s own real picture?

I compare it with e.g. LinkedIn. If you want to be professional you have to do it. I get many LinkedIn connect requests but when I see a poor profile which tells me nothing (not even a picture) about a member then I never accept.

Buyers contact - noted. Didn’t know.

I saw LinkedIn and just had to add…

You really have no idea who the people on LinkedIn are, unless you meet them in person and watch them log in (don’t do that, by the way). It’s social media. What does that photo tell you? You do realize it could be a photo of anyone, right? Or a profile meticulously compiled from other people’s information? Yearbook, business card, etc. LinkedIn is not any more or less professional than this site. If you want reliable professional information, don’t look to a source that ‘verifies’ information by having people who have never met agree on it.

As a word of caution - it’s not a good idea to assume you can verify who people are on the internet. People who do that for a living make major mistakes every day.

As for this site, what does a photo of the seller tell you specifically? Now if the seller is a model or actor, I can understand wanting to see them (that’s part of what they offer). I am reading that based on your original post. You seem to give two options, a real photo or a fake one. I am asking from the point of view as a seller, because for instance as a creative professional I feel that my work is more recognizable than my face, but I’d like to hear more.

As far as #3, Fiverr is actively preventing that. I can’t show my degrees because evidently no one else says they have them too. Do they allow more profile text now? When I started it was extremely short (the length limit). I’ll have to check on that.

I do agree with your #4 though. There’s really no reason to lie about your location.

Could you explain #6 a little more? Do you mean after the Gig has been delivered, or after you accept/review (touching base with previous clients)?

Your #7 should be considered with other factors as well. Some sellers are much more fearful of bad reviews than others (some with good reasons). After all, they really have no idea if you’re a malicious buyer, do they? As far as the refund itself, some sellers specifically say they will refund you if you are not happy, so please don’t penalize them for honoring their word. Yes, I know you’re not supposed to incentivize a change in ratings, but people do a lot of things they aren’t supposed to with no malicious intent.

Answer:

I don’t think this is correct. I never read anything on that topic anywhere, which already makes it improbable that it is correct.

Fact is that I could and did change both gig description and order requirements while having active orders. How could sellers who always have gigs in the queue ever change anything if he was right, makes no sense.

Of course when I made some changes I checked on a running order just to be sure, and just as one would expect, the changes were not ‘backwards compatible’, i. e. the running order was still showing the former order requirements and gig description, not the changed current ones.

So, yes, from what i can tell, you can change the gig description while you have gigs in the work, but it will show the old one for those outstanding (in that not yet delivered sense ;)) orders (anything else would have been a massive oversight by fiverr and there’d be a long forum thread about it too, I suppose, well, two, one by sellers not able to ever change descriptions, and one by buyers seeing the description change on an order they already placed).

Archived