In Doers We Trust

mjensen415

there are people literally fooking in this ad-- any updates to TOS so we can make this kind of content too? or just fiverr can make it? I’d be nearing retirement if I could accept just 10% of the offers I get on here for x rated voice work. it doesn’t need to show up in my portfolio, but if people want it, I’m willing, why not?
more money for everyone, what’s the hold up? make an 18+ section if you need to. this ad was entirely 18+ in my opinion and doesn’t reflect some of the TOS rigidly in place.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there are people literally fooking in this ad-- any updates to TOS so we can make this kind of content too? or just fiverr can make it? I’d be nearing retirement if I could accept just 10% of the offers I get on here for x rated voice work. it doesn’t need to show up in my portfolio, but if people want it, I’m willing, why not?

more money for everyone, what’s the hold up? make an 18+ section if you need to. this ad was entirely 18+ in my opinion and doesn’t reflect some of the TOS rigidly in place.

just to be clear, it would be a huge pandora’s box issue by implementing what I mentioned above… nor do I ever expect it to actually happen, it’s just this ad confused me given how squeaky clean sellers are required to be.

Well, that ad is certainly surprising…
It’s not something I personally think is great, but if it connects with the “young folk” then great… hopefully all these millennials with their start ups will see an ad with mild sex and drug references alongside segways and VR headsets and be so blown away that they will decide that Fiverr is the place for them to hire the people they need.

In terms of the language used, the forum has commonly allowed use of the “S” word when it is not being used to describe someone else or in an otherwise derogatory way.
As regards a “mod bias”, the conversation last week was regarding the question of whether mods moderate in a way which is to benefit themselves, each other or other sellers. The OP does not contradict the point that moderation is not biased towards any sellers.
@mjensen415 is not a seller. He is a Fiverr staff member who posted an official Fiverr blog post by the CEO. The language in the post is not derogatory towards any members.

there are people literally fooking in this ad-- any updates to TOS so we can make this kind of content too? or just fiverr can make it? […] this ad was entirely 18+ in my opinion and doesn’t reflect some of the TOS rigidly in place.

That’s a very good point, considering that this forum and platform has lots of innocent 13 year olds who we’re meant to be considerate of. They will certainly like this advert, as will younger entrepreneurs who aren’t quite so rigid when it comes to notions of what professionalism is. But this is VIRAL ADVERTISING for COOL MILLENNIALS LIKE ME (I just squeeze into this demo) where RULES DON’T EXIST. Until they do… but that aside, this video does hit all the right spots for the people its targeted at, so it’s not a bad ad by any means. It’s just upsetting quite a few “grannies” as one wit on YT put it. Of course, the thing is, that these grannies have more money and less skills, so upsetting them isn’t necessarily a good idea, even if they are being a bit prissy about a spot of nudity, swearing and drug-taking–let’s note that marijuana is legal in many US states now, so that bit wasn’t as edgy as say, a line of coke before creating an awesome video.

You’re right though. Plenty of buyers harass women (or men masquerading as women) for explicit photos and more. I’m sure there’s a hidden industry using codes for those who really want to buy that sort of stuff on Fiverr as opposed to the websites where it’s all literally slapped on a platter for you. But of course, Fiverr is a family-friendly website and people couldn’t stomach some T&A even in a gated site. Amazon loves erotica as it generates huge $$$$, but it treats its writers like a dirty little secret with occasional crackdown on stuff that is too lurid (unless you have made a bestseller, that’s different).

The slogan’s cool though. It’s a shame that everyone has to censor it. That in itself tells you a lot…ultimately, this edgy campaign works for its demographic, but it’s rather superficial as it can’t really go as far as it wants to. So, you know, the annoyed people do have a point. Even the most radical millennial entrepreneur is going to buckle down and “get professional” at some point in their career. Those sellers who do sign up here will quickly realize that “getting shit done” is easier said than done… and so will many buyers. Do you think they will like the sellers casually swearing when things go wrong? Do you think anyone will? Hell, TOS BS as one commentator above said.

Well, that ad is certainly surprising…

It’s not something I personally think is great, but if it connects with the “young folk” then great… hopefully all these millennials with their start ups will see an ad with mild sex and drug references alongside segways and VR headsets and be so blown away that they will decide that Fiverr is the place for them to hire the people they need.

In terms of the language used, the forum has commonly allowed use of the “S” word when it is not being used to describe someone else or in an otherwise derogatory way.

As regards a “mod bias”, the conversation last week was regarding the question of whether mods moderate in a way which is to benefit themselves, each other or other sellers. The OP does not contradict the point that moderation is not biased towards any sellers.

@mjensen415 is not a seller. He is a Fiverr staff member who posted an official Fiverr blog post by the CEO. The language in the post is not derogatory towards any members.

Yes I know all that! I was having a dig at playing the admin card, rather than that whole tedious argument. As for the rest, I think I dealt with it in my prior post.

there are people literally fooking in this ad-- any updates to TOS so we can make this kind of content too? or just fiverr can make it? […] this ad was entirely 18+ in my opinion and doesn’t reflect some of the TOS rigidly in place.

That’s a very good point, considering that this forum and platform has lots of innocent 13 year olds who we’re meant to be considerate of. They will certainly like this advert, as will younger entrepreneurs who aren’t quite so rigid when it comes to notions of what professionalism is. But this is VIRAL ADVERTISING for COOL MILLENNIALS LIKE ME (I just squeeze into this demo) where RULES DON’T EXIST. Until they do… but that aside, this video does hit all the right spots for the people its targeted at, so it’s not a bad ad by any means. It’s just upsetting quite a few “grannies” as one wit on YT put it. Of course, the thing is, that these grannies have more money and less skills, so upsetting them isn’t necessarily a good idea, even if they are being a bit prissy about a spot of nudity, swearing and drug-taking–let’s note that marijuana is legal in many US states now, so that bit wasn’t as edgy as say, a line of coke before creating an awesome video.

You’re right though. Plenty of buyers harass women (or men masquerading as women) for explicit photos and more. I’m sure there’s a hidden industry using codes for those who really want to buy that sort of stuff on Fiverr as opposed to the websites where it’s all literally slapped on a platter for you. But of course, Fiverr is a family-friendly website and people couldn’t stomach some T&A even in a gated site. Amazon loves erotica as it generates huge $$$$, but it treats its writers like a dirty little secret with occasional crackdown on stuff that is too lurid (unless you have made a bestseller, that’s different).

The slogan’s cool though. It’s a shame that everyone has to censor it. That in itself tells you a lot…ultimately, this edgy campaign works for its demographic, but it’s rather superficial as it can’t really go as far as it wants to. So, you know, the annoyed people do have a point. Even the most radical millennial entrepreneur is going to buckle down and “get professional” at some point in their career. Those sellers who do sign up here will quickly realize that “getting shit done” is easier said than done… and so will many buyers. Do you think they will like the sellers casually swearing when things go wrong? Do you think anyone will? Hell, TOS BS as one commentator above said.

this video does hit all the right spots for the people its targeted at

That’s the point of a good video. It makes an impact. The sex and drug use scenes are tame. You can see the same things on twitter. It’s a fantastic video.

Ask Mischa when he’s going to do that Q&A he promised us a few Christmasses ago, will you? It was the last time Fiverr did a Breast Cancer charity drive and had that NY HQ party.

This seems like a good place to start!

Throw feedback our way. We’ll be listening.

Shall we start with the app glitch randomly throwing 4.7 reviews from to sellers and not being able to easily fix this? Is a patch in the works? The recent changes to the feedback system have made this glitch quite a bit more urgent, and I am sure add to an already overworked CS team.

Fiverr’s experience allows creativity and productivity to grow for freelancers and entrepreneurs

I am sure you will agree that this particular quote does not apply when having to deal with the above issue.

Wake up every day to get shit done.

See, I knew it was OK to use the word shit on the forum.

What do you want to DO this year?

Make my existence slightly less precarious, with or without the help of Fiverr. This is a bit like the Queen’s speech, only with extra corporate ‘come on team, we can do it!’ and that nice little ad spot.

@mjensen415–the banner thing is cool, but it’s a little ugly with the scrolling bar and different color. You should get Discourse to make it more web 2.0 and shit hot.

Shall we start with the app glitch randomly throwing 4.7 reviews from to sellers and not being able to easily fix this? Is a patch in the works? The recent changes to the feedback system have made this glitch quite a bit more urgent, and I am sure add to an already overworked CS team.

@emmaki This isn’t the ranting pot 🙂

And we have put these issues to be our top priority. In fact, someone is working on it as we speak.

Funny, I remember an argument last week all about

mod bias

and how it doesn’t exist 😉

Funny, I remember an argument last week all about

mod bias

and how it doesn’t exist

That’s somewhat out of context since that conversation was about volunteer moderators (who are not admins on Discourse) getting higher ranking. I’m a moderator and I don’t get higher ranking.

@mjensen415 is staff and a Discourse admin. Moderators are volunteers. In that hierarchy, it’s obvious where the chips fall. (Edit/add:) In case my point isn’t clear here, there is a big difference between a discussion about seller ranking and staff decision making.

@emmaki This isn’t the ranting pot 🙂

And we have put these issues to be our top priority. In fact, someone is working on it as we speak.

(Regarding fixing the app bug that turns 5 stars into 4.7, or 4.3 stars)

That’s great news! 👏

@emmaki go to 46 seconds in the video and see if you notice something.

@markp Are you talking about the “trust fund kid” who could be age 13? 😃 Interesting point. It made me think about a 13 year old joining Fiverr as a seller after seeing that ad. I do have to wonder if some gigs would be denied even if based on the concepts promoted in the ad.

Overall, though, I think marketing is a different beast from reality and that doesn’t always make sense to me, but it’s true. I’ve seen multiple brand ads for cologne that play a few bars of weird music, show a snake (or some other animal) slithering by, then a muscular man (or some other provocative human image) wearing a fur coat. End of ad. I don’t understand those ads. Perhaps people do buy the cologne. I don’t see this ad changing anything about how I handle my business on Fiverr and I don’t think most of the people I interact with professionally are represented by this ad, but that might not be true for everyone. If the goal was to get attention, it did.

Makes mental note not to make flippant jokes about mod bias in future

@joniamir great to hear that the team’s working on it, it’s been a bit of a forum bugbear lately, especially when combined with the new feedback system. I wasn’t ranting: I knew that staff would be watching this thread, so I made a point to mention it for the feedback that your users would like to hear. Now we have that feedback, you have some pleased sellers who know that they’re being listened to.

Anyway, back to ads! Here is my favorite weird ad from the 90s. The product is a sickly orange soda drink., Tango, which is popular in the UK. Personally, I only liked the blackcurrant one, which was a totally rad shade of purple:

Bonus story about Tango: one time, they released this still version without the fizz and it proved to be popular. It had to be taken off the shelves a while later though, as if you just left it in a warm place the drink fermented and became alcoholic, and a nation’s teenagers were doing just that. One media shitstorm later…

@fonthaunt I also think that people not using a company due to disagreeing with an ad is a bit shortsighted, but people be people.

Makes mental note not to make flippant jokes about mod bias in future

@joniamir great to hear that the team’s working on it, it’s been a bit of a forum bugbear lately, especially when combined with the new feedback system. I wasn’t ranting: I knew that staff would be watching this thread, so I made a point to mention it for the feedback that your users would like to hear. Now we have that feedback, you have some pleased sellers who know that they’re being listened to.

Anyway, back to ads! Here is my favorite weird ad from the 90s. The product is a sickly orange soda drink., Tango, which is popular in the UK. Personally, I only liked the blackcurrant one, which was a totally rad shade of purple:

Bonus story about Tango: one time, they released this still version without the fizz and it proved to be popular. It had to be taken off the shelves a while later though, as if you just left it in a warm place the drink fermented and became alcoholic, and a nation’s teenagers were doing just that. One media shitstorm later…

@fonthaunt I also think that people not using a company due to disagreeing with an ad is a bit shortsighted, but people be people.

People do be people. I think that reaction to the ad will depend a lot on where it is used and who sees it. I can’t see established regular buyers here not using Fiverr anymore whether they love or hate the ad. I could see it being off-putting to a new buyer who might not be looking for a “fook” logo and thinks that every spokesperson video might include a chainsaw. 😃 I am guessing that this ad is primarily being used on social media that targets a different age and interest group anyway, so those kind of buyers might never even see it. Well, unless they read the forum. I am no marketing expert so this is highly speculative. If I were a marketing expert, I think I’d be making more money!

The goal was to create buzz and get the adrenaline pumping in viewers, and provocative images and words do that. And the images also create a vision of a progressive young company that gets it done, is not tired and stuffy, has spirit and energy, and markets to the new internet generation.

And since it’s a young internet company, it’s edgy and unconventional. It’s a clear message which reaches down into the subliminal, animal brain, where instincts and emotions and impulses take over and call the shots.
I totally get it. It’s brilliant.

@markp Are you talking about the “trust fund kid” who could be age 13? 😃 Interesting point. It made me think about a 13 year old joining Fiverr as a seller after seeing that ad. I do have to wonder if some gigs would be denied even if based on the concepts promoted in the ad.

Overall, though, I think marketing is a different beast from reality and that doesn’t always make sense to me, but it’s true. I’ve seen multiple brand ads for cologne that play a few bars of weird music, show a snake (or some other animal) slithering by, then a muscular man (or some other provocative human image) wearing a fur coat. End of ad. I don’t understand those ads. Perhaps people do buy the cologne. I don’t see this ad changing anything about how I handle my business on Fiverr and I don’t think most of the people I interact with professionally are represented by this ad, but that might not be true for everyone. If the goal was to get attention, it did.

I quite liked the chainsaw bit. It sang the song of my people. The only bit that annoyed me was that silly bint checking her cellphone in the middle of enjoying some quality time with her gentleman friend. I mean really. You’re having a good time and the phone goes ding and you’re like “excuse me, please chill” to check you message which is, “hi I am interested in your service how much does it cost?”

PSA: Don’t do this dammit! Unless you like arguments and getting dumped.

I think there should be more ads. The next one could be “get stuff done”. (rather than get stuffed) and feature professional people being professional with a rose-tinted lens. None of this ghastly young people nastiness!

I quite liked the chainsaw bit. It sang the song of my people. The only bit that annoyed me was that silly bint checking her cellphone in the middle of enjoying some quality time with her gentleman friend. I mean really. You’re having a good time and the phone goes ding and you’re like “excuse me, please chill” to check you message which is, “hi I am interested in your service how much does it cost?”

PSA: Don’t do this dammit! Unless you like arguments and getting dumped.

I think there should be more ads. The next one could be “get stuff done”. (rather than get stuffed) and feature professional people being professional with a rose-tinted lens. None of this ghastly young people nastiness!

You’re having a good time and the phone goes ding and you’re like “excuse me, please chill” to check you message which is, “hi I am interested in your service how much does it cost?”

But she’s getting it done! She has her priorities straight. Her boyfriend does the same thing. When you’re your own boss you have this luxury of doing two things simultaneously that way.

The goal was to create buzz and get the adrenaline pumping in viewers, and provocative images and words do that. And the images also create a vision of a progressive young company that gets it done, is not tired and stuffy, has spirit and energy, and markets to the new internet generation.

And since it’s a young internet company, it’s edgy and unconventional. It’s a clear message which reaches down into the subliminal, animal brain, where instincts and emotions and impulses take over and call the shots.

With a goal as you stated, yes, it does that. The part that I liked was that it might help generate buzz about the brand. I still meet a lot of people in everyday life who have never heard of Fiverr. In fact, I’ve never run into anyone where I live who has heard of Fiverr.

I like the idea by @emmaki of there being a lot of different ads with different goals and different audiences in mind. A seller who sells widgets is going to hope for an audience who needs widgets, but a gadget seller might need a different audience. Fiverr is big and broad and covers a huge number of gig types. It needs a very broad buyer base to match.

You’re having a good time and the phone goes ding and you’re like “excuse me, please chill” to check you message which is, “hi I am interested in your service how much does it cost?”

But she’s getting it done! She has her priorities straight. Her boyfriend does the same thing. When you’re your own boss you have this luxury of doing two things simultaneously that way.

I don’t know, he was doing most of the work there @misscrystal. I’m pretty sure having to swipe then focus on the message might slow things down. Besides, it’s not like they’re going to be at it for 24 hours, so they could finish the business at hand then deal with business afterwards. After all, never mix business with pleasure. This is a bold example of why.

And yes, @fonthaunt. The “Get shit done” slogan I like as I said above. You could have like mini-stories for each category. X had a (funny) problem, X came to Fiverr and found Y in minutes, X’s problem was solved forever. More serious stuff like idk taxes or whatever could be more serious while the more fun stuff could be more creative. I’d watch them if they were funny/interesting. I certainly don’t bother with the current ads on FB. Also, if it’s amusing, you’ll have more positive/lol reactions and less “FIVERR RIPPED ME OFF AND I HAD TO SELL MY BABY NOW WHERE’S MY REFUND” type comments unrelated to the ad. Possibly.

I agree with you 100%, I love that it is not a bland ad that blends in with all the others - it is unconventional and appeals to the audience fiverr is trying to target - awesome marketing. The video is getting people to talk - is that not the whole point of marketing?

As sellers, we want more buyers and this ad is designed to attract more buyers to the site. Sure it might not be to the taste of some, but that is OK - no site/brand/business will appeal to everyone and if they try to appeal to everyone, they’ll just get lost, so I am all for this campaign, I love it!

The blog post is decent but the video and the overall branding, I’m not so sure. It’s too hip. Branding the whole community as a group of corporate-hating hipster rebels is going to consolidate the sentiment which bad buyers have about Fiverr sellers : “just a bunch of hipster college kids who can be exploited”. The subliminal messaging overlooks the fact that even ‘sharks’ come to Fiverr to hire professional services. The video simply ostracizes them, but they are the ones bringing in the serious business to many sellers. (Disclaimer : I have been a beneficiary of this, which is why I think Fiverr is such an awesome place!)

+1 to @eoinfinnegan’s choice of words in the first paragraph. Probably you agree that the new targeting will attract millennials but maybe there could have been at least a 5 second mention of even established businesses looking to hire serious professionals. THAT is the actual disruption Fiverr is causing.

@joniamir I’ve got the chance to work with HUGE brands in my 2 month lifespan on Fiverr. People with massive brand presence are still choosing Fiverr to hire their freelancers over other platforms in a micro-gig economy format instead of a large scale 6 month freelance contract. THAT is the disruption. The non-hip, silent buyers and sellers, both of whom exist in large numbers on Fiverr, can I request one more advert on behalf of the boring* demographic like me? 😇

*(I tap a few keys on my keyboard daily, mostly writing code for sharks who believe that ‘freelancers are friends not food’; It helps me feed myself and my pet fish two times a day. That grandma who dropped the comment on the Youtube video probably lives a more happening life than me. Someone please accommodate my way of life here, probably in the next video? 😂)

The blog post is decent but the video and the overall branding, I’m not so sure. It’s too hip. Branding the whole community as a group of corporate-hating hipster rebels is going to consolidate the sentiment which bad buyers have about Fiverr sellers : “just a bunch of hipster college kids who can be exploited”. The subliminal messaging overlooks the fact that even ‘sharks’ come to Fiverr to hire professional services. The video simply ostracizes them, but they are the ones bringing in the serious business to many sellers. (Disclaimer : I have been a beneficiary of this, which is why I think Fiverr is such an awesome place!)

+1 to @eoinfinnegan’s choice of words in the first paragraph. Probably you agree that the new targeting will attract millennials but maybe there could have been at least a 5 second mention of even established businesses looking to hire serious professionals. THAT is the actual disruption Fiverr is causing.

@joniamir I’ve got the chance to work with HUGE brands in my 2 month lifespan on Fiverr. People with massive brand presence are still choosing Fiverr to hire their freelancers over other platforms in a micro-gig economy format instead of a large scale 6 month freelance contract. THAT is the disruption. The non-hip, silent buyers and sellers, both of whom exist in large numbers on Fiverr, can I request one more advert on behalf of the boring* demographic like me? 😇

*(I tap a few keys on my keyboard daily, mostly writing code for sharks who believe that ‘freelancers are friends not food’; It helps me feed myself and my pet fish two times a day. That grandma who dropped the comment on the Youtube video probably lives a more happening life than me. Someone please accommodate my way of life here, probably in the next video? 😂)

there could have been at least a 5 second mention of even established businesses looking to hire serious professionals.

Established businesses are looking for ways to attract young generations who are tied to the internet.

You want a coherent message in an ad like this so they pushed the idea of young, hip, unconventional.

Trust me when I say that established businesses looking for serious professionals will gravitate to this ad.

Young and unconventional does not rule out being a serious professional.

there could have been at least a 5 second mention of even established businesses looking to hire serious professionals.

Established businesses are looking for ways to attract young generations who are tied to the internet.

You want a coherent message in an ad like this so they pushed the idea of young, hip, unconventional.

Trust me when I say that established businesses looking for serious professionals will gravitate to this ad.

Young and unconventional does not rule out being a serious professional.

I take your point.

I share your optimism about the new campaign bringing in more business. All of us have a vested interest in the success of the entire Fiverr platform. The platform has been very kind to me, and to you too, I assume. Here’s to wishing the happy run continues! 🍷

I don’t know, he was doing most of the work there @misscrystal. I’m pretty sure having to swipe then focus on the message might slow things down. Besides, it’s not like they’re going to be at it for 24 hours, so they could finish the business at hand then deal with business afterwards. After all, never mix business with pleasure. This is a bold example of why.

And yes, @fonthaunt. The “Get shit done” slogan I like as I said above. You could have like mini-stories for each category. X had a (funny) problem, X came to Fiverr and found Y in minutes, X’s problem was solved forever. More serious stuff like idk taxes or whatever could be more serious while the more fun stuff could be more creative. I’d watch them if they were funny/interesting. I certainly don’t bother with the current ads on FB. Also, if it’s amusing, you’ll have more positive/lol reactions and less “FIVERR RIPPED ME OFF AND I HAD TO SELL MY BABY NOW WHERE’S MY REFUND” type comments unrelated to the ad. Possibly.

The “Get shit done” slogan I like as I said above.

Inspired by Gary Vaynerchuk? He says it all the time, and his audience loves it.

Archived