Warning signs of a potentially troublesome buyer

capitalquality

Gosh - that one sounds like a complete nightmare!

Pretty much, and not even about the lost money and time, wasn´t that much luckily, but I hate the thought that there are a lot of ‘Buyer’-Sellers operating like that, scamming both buyers and their ‘co-sellers’ and the thought that they can, at least if they get lucky and buy from someone who does good work, dupe their customers, sometimes, for a while, whatever. Doesn´t work always apparently, seeing the couple really bad reviews she had, but well.

Good warning sign of a potentially troublesome seller for buyers in this too btw: If the girl on the photo looks as if she could be an actress, it´s probably the picture of an actress, not of your seller (right-click, search the pic on Google),

if she then happens to have a slightly ‘huh’ inducing name and her last name happens to be featured in the name of the uni she supposedly got her BA or Major or whatever,

and while her (probably stolen from other sellers) profile/gig texts sound like okay English (though weirdly although they are ‘based in the US’ their profile says ‘Basic English’) while their live inbox communication probably looks rather different, it maybe should raise a flag, but I assume some people just want to see the pretty girl who could be an actress. 😉

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friendly, educated, never opposed the price, he sent me a job to do in a week,
Once the work was delivered, he never contacted me until 2 hours before completing the mandatory 3 days, requesting a review (because his friends were not convinced) without sending any documents, I told him that my work was well done and that he should accept to complete the order, did not answer and went offline, after 2 hours before the mandatory 48 hours were fulfilled, another request came in, needed more time for another review with another friend, contact CS and they answered me that they could not help me and that I should allow the revisions, before the mandatory 48 hours completed again another message and the same thing requesting more time, again contact CS arguing that this buyer was manipulating the Fiverr-system and already abused the situation, again according to CS I should wait and allow him the revisions. But let me tell you that I still have some dignity and asked to cancel the service, which he accepted in no-time, these types of buyers are really a headache, apart there is no support from Fiverr

One warning sign I can add now from bad experience:

If your ‘Buyer’ is a seller, with celebrity profile pic, self-described country and fiverr-stated country not matching, a handful of dubious first reviews, two abysmal last reviews, and ‘she’ orders a gig from you directly, so you´d have to cancel and take a hit to your order completion rate either way,

(and you see in the instructions on the order requirement page that it´s for a job you saw yourself posted on Buyer Requests but didn´t send an offer to, (this point is optional but aggravating))

cancel right away, no matter that you´re scared of your dropping completion rate.

If you just do the job, trying to believe in the good in people against all odds, you´ll just end up with the options ‘cancel the job’, or the high possibility of a revenge review if you won’t cancel as demanded, (after they got your work in their hands to pass it on to the real buyer (optional point, only valid if you happened to see the BR for it)).

Since you might be SOL even if you´re able to prove to CS that their nonsense revision requests were fake as their profile, and you´d have to live with that revenge review, you´ll probably cancel at that point, as did I.

So, yeah, my advice, after having been burned, in such a situation, cancel, right away.

Yes, I was stupid, but if it helps someone to make a better decision in a similar situation, I don´t mind admitting it.

Oooh “Cancel right away.” I’ll remember that for these cases. Thanks for the tip.

Working with design I get a lot of make this look nicer or previous buyer did not do it right. That does not always mean they are a trouble buyer, but it is something to look for sometimes. If I ask them to clarify and they can’t etc. that probably means they don’t know. Sometimes I will ask if I can roll with it on a postcard or email design and use their logo or website colors and they are ok with that. Everyone is different but I totally get what you are saying.

I am experiencing point number 15… client gives specific instructions, you met them, offer discount, return the project and then…client requires a different set of specific instructions and more extra revisions. He even asked someone else to contact me with even more instructions. On the top of that we are talking a 30.000-word long translations which is perfectly done and with zero mistakes. In fact, I came across many mistakes on the English version that he sent me, but hey…he wrote, so he believes it perfect. I have spent two extra days on the project and I don’t know what else to do to get rid of him. This is becoming a nightmare. Any piece of advise, please?

Fantastic list! I also try to shut down conversations as soon as possible if I feel a buyer may be troublesome. But weirdly, I’ve had a lot of good experiences with buyers who come at me with Number 1 on your list. In fact, buyers who are initially wary because of a bad experience with another seller frequently end up as some of my most loyal clients, and are usually extra-appreciative of my work. So maybe there’s a caveat with that one… If the buyer is clear about what went wrong with the previous seller, and you know you can do better, it could be a good opportunity!

I too have have a seller who over promise to deliver but achieve no result

even after we have gone thr their reviews

Archived