Value of Being Single and All Alone

writer99025

The Indian government has taken a very strict anti-corruption measures by de-monitizing currencies and calling back Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 notes. So most people in India keep their ill-gotten wealth which they don’t pay tax on in these notes, called as “Bla_ck Mo_ney”.

Which means many of them are now suddenly bankrupt. I have only 10-11 such notes, and all of it is legal, so I can get it exchanged with the bank, so it’s not a big deal for me. But it has still hurt me and probably brought down my net worth by quite a lot over the last 4-5 days.

How? Real estate in India is sustained by bla_ck mo_ney. Take that out of the equation and value of real estate falls. So value of my sites have come down by 15% to 25% all of a sudden,because the whole market has gone down. Even if my real estate investments are 100% legal, made by my father when they were worth very little in the 1990s, as the whole market goes down, so does my investment.

How much have I lost? I’ve made a lot of money on Fiverr by Indian standards since I’ve been here. And the paper value of my real estate assets has declined by 10 to 12 times of how much I have made here over 3 years in just 3-4 days.

But still, I am happy! As I am single, alone and have no responsibilities, didn’t plan to sell those sites anyway, and have only lost paper wealth. I am no longer as rich as I was just a week ago, but I don’t care. LOL.

But a lot of people are losing their mind though…

It’s one of those days when I have to read this poem:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

(Invictus by William Ernest Henley)

Sounds like you might soon have to start renting out the Bat Cave.

As for the virtues of being alone. LIES! ALL LIES!

I should be very happy being alone since my ex turned into the mental Godzilla criminal narcissist of the century. However, you miss things like having someone to go out for the day with, have food fights which inevitably turn dirty, and plan for the future with. In fact, you can only be happy being alone if you have never experienced serious and intimate companionship and that is a problem.

Love and having responsibilities for other people suck. I have huge anxiety and sometimes hurt so much that I can’t breathe never mind think at the moment. But that is why God created cigarettes, Laphroaig 15 and cuddly Chihuahuas.

If I was in your shoes, I’d hire a hot accountant. She could help you through your financial woes and you would have an excuse to spend time together. Just make sure she’s single first otherwise it could get messy.

Yeah…so…our soldiers have been fighting in Siachen, Kargil etc for years, and for some people standing outside ATMs and banks is difficult. People complain about corruption, say India is a corrupt country and when there is a chance to do something about it complain about standing in the queue.

Don’t compare soldiers with 60 - 80 years old people who can’t even walk.
Marriages, medical emergencies,small shopkeepers business is effected because of this.
Imagine yourself as a bridegroom ,standing in front of the bank on your wedding day in never ending lines
or waiting to get 100 rs just to buy one time food for the children’s.

We can’t even imagine what is happening out there their are complaints about money snatching, dying people outside banks

and everyone know who’s corrupt, where’s the black money is .
Instead of focusing at their swiss banks, modi wants the small money which is not filled in taxes…

Everyone knows how ambani spend all his black money on jio , because modi told him earlier.

so don’t think corruption will end, it will get worse and worse.

That’s all well and good, but what about this? Mass blinding doesn’t sound like a very nice thing to do. Plus that Ambani stuff Rubal mentioned sounds well dodgy. Sounds like more right-wing bumfluff to me where the appearance of doing something (e.g. those tax certificates…) is more important–or at least easier, which is also a valuable trait–than coming up with a viable solution.

32x32.icothe Guardian – 8 Nov 16
3900.jpg?w=1200&h=630&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=crop&crop=faces%2Centropy&bm=normal&ba=bottom%2Cleft&blend64=aHR0cHM6Ly91cGxvYWRzLmd1aW0uY28udWsvMjAxNi8wNS8yNS9vdmVybGF5LWxvZ28tMTIwMC05MF9vcHQucG5n&s=3486b892a997b59c48fd9798348a6c6c

India’s crackdown in Kashmir: is this the world’s first mass blinding?

The Long Read: A bloody summer of protest in Kashmir has been met with a ruthless response from Indian security forces, who fired hundreds of thousands of metal pellets into crowds of civilians, leaving hundreds blinded.

(P.S. if you get mad about this, you pretty much forfeit your right to crow about Trump’s win in the United States)

I don’t know a thing about most of that, but the single and alone part I do get. I’ve had some really rough financial times on and off, sometimes not being able to put food on the table. Still, I just celebrated 20 years with my spouse and it has been difficult, painful, scary and sometimes I wished that the financial problems didn’t apply to 2 people together. It’s also been the most wonderful 20 years in many other ways. Things like sharing love of books and tv and video games, holding hands by a campfire, talking through ways to get out of the financial problems and knowing we weren’t alone. I wouldn’t trade it for a lot of money.

If it’s better for you, though, Writer - more power to you. I can’t imagine. It’s crazy times we live in.

I am not completely alone…Have a 65-year old mother who lives in another city. However, I don’t have to worry about her as she is financially independent, has her own house, savings and draws a pension. But yes, when she is 80 or something I will probably have to take care of her.

But why do I like being alone? I have very little expenses, so this allows me to take a lot of shocks. I can imagine that people with families and kids won’t have it easy unless they have very good jobs. I am just trying to find the silver lining in a bleak situation.

Let me also share some experiences from my city (Hyderabad)
My friend was supposed to get married on 11th but his marriage had to be postponed as the had all the cash withdrawn but none of the vendors (Catering - Decorators - Venue) were ready to accept it …

Situation 2 : one of my cousins father is admitted in the hospital and was due for surgery for heart bypass on 9 but the hospital refused to take the cash which he had as most of it were 500 and 1000 notes (however he is wealthy enough so he paid by multiple credit cards the total amnt of surgery was 4.5 Lacs…) but imagine if he was not financially great then… Things would have been horrible for him…

Im not against modis decision but what i really expect is that people (corporate hospitals - Petrol bunks - Restaurant - Grocery shop) to co-operate and accept those notes… I have seen a petrol bunk near my house they are offering change for 500 Rupee note in 100’s by taking 100 Rs as their commission and most of the labours and uneducated people are getting it encashed by letting off 100 Bugs… which is cheating …

But iam 100% sure things will become better as time passes by ,(Attaching one of the pic of Que near my house at Bank)

Regards,
Amit

Bhai, Indian economy was based on bla_ck mo_ney, which was holding it back and keeping inflation high and people poor. For those who are rich, it’s okay, but for those who are not rich, life is very difficult in India. 50 days of hardship is fine. Understand this, already real estate prices have come down by 20% to 50%, because real estate was built on bl_ack mo_ney. You think I am a Modi supporter, and I have lost nothing, okay, you know what, I have lost at least Rs. 3 to 4 crore in net worth as my properties in Bangalore have collapsed in value. I can cry, I can crib, I can attach motives to Modiji’s decision based on my private loss. But I know in the long term this is good for India. Yes, you are right, in 1-2 weeks the situation will be normal.

And as for the brother who is very angry and saying all bl_ack mo_ney is in Swiss banks etc…brother you have no idea. Why do you think a small apartment in Bangalore was worth Rs. 1.5 crore just 1 week back and Rs. 70 lakhs now? Entire real estate in India was built on bl_ack mo_ney. For this reason, it was impossible for ordinary people to buy a home. Average salary in a metro is Rs.30,000 or 40,000…and how much does a decent apartment cost? Rs. 2 crore. That means it will take 500 months or 42 years for an average Indian to save enough to buy an apartment in a metro.
Of course, officially it will be 1 crore, the rest the builder will ask in black. You know what, think about it rationally, any upper middle class colony in Bangalore, Hyderabad or Mumbai has more bl_ack mo_ney than the entire reserves of Swiss banks. India has to be cleaned up, we can choose to be a mediocre country and behave everything is fine, there’s no reason for change, or we can clean it up. That’s all I can say.

@writer I’ve seen a skit done by some comedian where she was going to restaurants and asking for a table for one. They showed people giving her sad looks and the wait staff treating her strangely. It was exaggerated for comedy, but I’ve been at places alone and felt some of that.

Luckily I do like to do a lot of things by myself, so whether I am single or not, I’m perfectly content with good reading material. It is something you have to thicken your skin for, but I guess it’s one of those I had early because I often thought my books were more interesting than some of the people I know. 😉 You do have some points!

Out of curiosity, is “black money” auto-censored (I should find out when I post this) or is there another reason for the underscores?

Edit: Well, so it is. Strange. “black-money” - maybe that works. I keep reporting the more odd censors, but I don’t think it’s going to be fixed. Money works fine on the forum but maybe it’s the combo.

Archived