False Pricing

gasman1

How do sellers get away with listing a gig price and then want to charge a substantially higher price once you start discussing the job.

Yes I know that there can be vast differences with what you may want and what the gig price is offering, but on this particular occasion I wanted exactly what the gig was offering and the seller came back with a price over ten times the amount advertised, but would do the job for only 5 times the amount - how considerate…

This type of fraudulent activity will ruin this site.

gasman1

Some Sellers do not change the price to attract buyers… Once they get them, they see their true prices… But as you mentioned sometimes the work is complex than mentioned in the GIG so sellers has the right to raise or lower the price accordingly.

Other side of the picture. Some buyers want to buy moon in $5, that is also irrational.

Since this is fiverr we have to list gigs starting at $5 unless we use packages. Some of us prefer not to use them. I would like to start my gigs at higher prices than $5 without using them, but there is no option for that.

We are encouraged to offer extras any time someone purchases a gig and it’s up to you if you want to accept that offer.

It sounds like your situation was a bit different.

*the moon. *statement (sing.)

It’s not that irrational on a site where a lot of writers would fail a basic grammar test while pretending to be an American stock photo tweenager but with quirky, non-natural English.

Where are you based in the United States, again?

Guest phantompower

They get away with it the same way buyer expect to get a huge deal of work done for less what the work is worth… I had a buyer who asked for a basic 2D animation and would pay 50$ to get the job done. What i didn’t was that “BASIC” to the buyer was creating a 30 minute video using custom created characters, voice over of 7 different people and 20 reversion… I bumped the price without hesitation. Then the buyer wrote to me saying that the budget was still 50$ because the work was easy and basic… I simply told the buyer if its that’s easy then you should go and create it on your own.

Easier said than done! I’m no PS expert, but I do remember years ago when I was trying to learn some pretty basic stuff, the tutorials always skipped really basic steps and I’d be like ???

I only learned how to use the pen tool this year lol (and I love it). Maybe I’ll be a master in 2116. fingers crossed

Guest theyellowcrow

I think this all can be avoided by detailed gig description. Ask the buyer to send all the requirements in a go. Give the final price to him for the job. If it suits the buyer, start working, else enjoy your free time.

Also, if the buyer wants exactly the same work as explained in the gig (for 5 bucks) then I think the seller was not able to explain the gig in a proper way.

Most of buyers will search for the gigs and will look for the smallest price tag. In this case, even if the work requires more time and effort then the seller will quote the price as the minimum possible to at least start the discussion with buyer and explain what all will be done as part of the job and why the price increase.

I´ve been reading a rather old and long thread from when those packages were introduced, can still not make up my mind if I want to use them or not. I set a package up for one gig, left it a while, and in the end changed it back to the ‘normal’ 1-gig-style. I don´t know. I just don´t know lol somehow I don´t like those packages. Seems to complicate it even more. I have to explain already as it is, that people aren´t supposed to just up the quantity for my gig, but either buy more words via add-ons or per custom offer, and with the packages one can even order higher quantities than with the single gig. I don´t like that, wish we could choose a max quantity, or even deactivate that option completely.
Well, that, and still…something just bugs me about those packages. Maybe that they seem so prominent or that on many gigs they seem kind of superfluous, only announcing other wordcounts or faster delivery, what you can do with the sigle gig as well, I really don´t know, but I suppose if everyone uses them,…
I read packages are going to be obligatory too somewhere, i an old comment, but that´s off the table then, it seems, by now?

I put packages on one of my gigs to try it out and I do get more realistic orders so don’t have to go through the ‘I can’t do all that for $5’ argument. I also like that I can put different delivery times on the different packages so I don’t have to put the worst case delivery on the whole thing, when people often got their delivery much earlier.

Archived