Repeat buyers aren't always a good thing

capitalquality

Repeat buyers are usually much appreciated, but not always. How do you break up with a repeat buyer though without hurting their feelings?

I have a repeat buyer who comes back every month. He’s not chatty but he’s always polite. I was very grateful for him when I was new and didn’t have many orders but getting a 5 review out of him was like getting blood out of a stone.

He never accepted revisions or even communicated what he didn’t like for whatever random reason he didn’t like it. After I asked him what I could do differently to earn a 5 review he didn’t tell me but for a couple of months I got a 5 review from him anyway, even though I’m not doing anything different than I was before.

Each and every month I wait with resignation for the random review of somewhere between 4 and 5. This month I got a 4. I offered revisions both in the delivery and after he accepted the delivery and left the review. No dice. Just a vague message that everything will be fixed for next month. I have no idea what I did this time that he didn’t like.

I’m about to tell him there’ll be no next month with me and to find another provider. His gig is worth $10 a month, a 4 review has an impact on my overall rating not equal to the value of his gig. It’s time to say goodbye. So one of you writers on here might get a gig request for a ‘Dear John’ letter to a buyer 🙂

First ask your buyer to change that 4 star review into a 5. You’ll have to delete your review of him first. Then when he does, reply that review with Outstanding Experience.

Did that 4-star review hurt him?

A lot of buyers don’t think too much when they’re hitting the stars. One repeat buyer gave me 5 stars for his TV scripts and 4 stars for his slogans. I assume he wasn’t in love with my slogans, so he clicked 4 and I got a “Good Experience.” It’s not a big deal, maybe he’ll hire someone else for slogans next time.

I’ve said 3 good-byes to repeat customers in the past.
2 of them because their English was not that good, and it took a TON of messages
going back and forth to truly understand their intentions. Usually the gigs were $10 logos,
but it took over 20 messages to finally understand their ideas each time.
At one point I started saying stuff like “PLEASE hire or ask someone to edit your messages
before sending them to me” in which they replied “I will” but never happened.
Finally I told them that I cannot work with them unless they have someone editing their
gigs. They never came back, but it’s OK.

Seller number 3 was from the states and we had no problems communicating, but
soon I realized there was a pattern where he would always say "I love it!! Perfect!!
…buuuuuut, don’t you think it would be even BETTER if you added so-and so?"
All of those requests were quite minor and it made me feel bad to charge a gig for it,
but it was happening pretty much every time. For one gig he said “The image looks great! Now, if you are feeling adventurous, feel free to add some huge stars in the background!!”

That was my final straw. I told him if the image is indeed “perfect,” no changed needs to
be made, and if he wants anything added, he would need to order another gig. He
stopped ordering from me. ( he did resurface several months later using a different name,
and it didn’t take me that long to realize it was him, I point it out and he left Fiverr)
Around this time, I edited my gig description and changed my modification/revision policy.

Did I feel bad? Yes. Did I hurt those people? I guess. Still, I just had to do it.
Making clients happy is very important, but my mental health and sanity are a higher priority.
Once I realized my stomach cringing a little every time I saw their names in the
inbox, I knew I had to say goodbye to them. Once they left, I felt soooooooooo much better.

But you did message your buyer? Either way, if you do respond try to keep it logical/rational and less emotional. Writing “You are evil!” may feel great, but it doesn’t look professional. It’s better to be cool and detached. “You didn’t ask for a revision or a refund, blah blah blah.”

Or… “Why 4 stars? I gave you a revision, you said you liked it.”

I did message the buyer. I got only a brief response to my second message asking him to give me the opportunity to meet his expectation (quoting him the Fiverr ToS as encouragement to let me revise anything that wasn’t correct). So after that I sent the message saying I didn’t want to work with him in the future. I’m not expecting a response to be honest. He’s not the chattiest.

You might have to write to customer service, they can cancel the order for you, and remove the negative review if you ask them. Tell them you’ve already tried communicating with your buyer on your own.

Some people are difficult. Yesterday I tried refunding a $15 order because her product is very complicated and I don’t have time to understand it. Instead of accepting the refund, she writes me “I don’t understand.” I tried explaining it to her in English and Spanish, but alas. If she does nothing, the order will be automatically cancelled in 1 day, but I hate getting warnings about being late.

I’m going to take the buyer’s $20 and not worry about it anymore.
And I’ve had more customers complain about cancellations since the new resolution centre with the ‘In dispute’ wording. Not that I cancel many but those I do think it’s more than a cancellation request and want explanations as to why I’m disputing their order.

Archived