New Seller? Need Help? Don't Do This

emmaki

Glad to read your success story; Serves as a motivation for me. Were you supplementing your sustenance with other sources of income?

Maybe we should have a thread dedicated to freelancers and financial management/investment options they have to stabilize their finances, given the volatile nature of our income. Everything from writing iron tight freelance agreements, to managing taxes to investing in Mutual Funds, to ultimately paying for a home. Just doing freelance work and letting the money accumulate in a normal savings bank account with 4% interest rate (at a time when inflation is ~7%) is the equivalent of degrading our cumulative net worth by 3% annually. This stings very bad especially in the early days of freelancing when the cash is just trickling in.

Freelancing is not just a source of income, it is also a source of identity. The 9-to-5 zombies are unlikely to understand us, nor are their financials going to match ours (in a good way or in a bad way depending on how we fare), we need some sort of freelancerr-financial-literacy day if we want to last in the long game. I think these investment tips will help more than the pretentious, conjured up ‘tips’ we see on the forum everyday.

One needs to keep the powder dry, especially on days when orders are less and the 9-to-5 zombies are uploading too many happy pictures on facebook.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Naw dawg. That’s not the English way 😃

It took me about 18 months to become a TRS and as far as I can tell, it’s glowing reviews, hundreds and thousands of them (“outstanding experience” is good, but won’t help–tells buyers nothing) that really let you put prices up–which is where the income grows.

I’m actually working far less than I did at $5 while my income has exploded.

But you’re going to need to wallow in the trenches first. This is common knowledge in any business, I would have thought.

I also never spammed anyone for help, or got irritated with successful sellers for parading their success around. While it didn’t motivate me much either, it’s better to work on your own business.

Oh look, there I go with helpful tips in my arrogant way. I do home Rehmat doesn’t mind and I’m not causing backside palpitations of annoyance.

I once had a very polite request for help by a Nigerian newbie seller and I didn’t hesitate to give him some advice. The nice thing was that he didn’t start to stalk me and I see him sometimes in the forum and when I check his gigs he is doing very well.

A second time I offered in the comment section some private tips via PM to another established seller from Nigeria. I also warned in the same comment that nobody else should dare messaging me. Of course I gave some advice I would never share openly to this seller as well.

Why Nigeria? Just because I’m such a racist, lol. No, it was just a coincidence.

Archived