Sellers: consider NOT adding "You MUST message me first!" to your gigs

gailf

Hi Sellers–

I’m just a buyer. I do a lot of elaborate keyword searches to find the right seller/provider.

Quite frankly, “time to deliver” is often a HUGE factor in who I pick to do the job (along with feedback etc.). So yes, I will often pick someone with a 2-day delivery over a 3-day delivery, if the descriptions are similar. Most of my needed gigs are needed sooner, rather than later.

I’m noticing a lot more “You MUST message me first!” language on gigs, and it is a real turnoff for me as a buyer. Sure, sometimes it is a complex gig and that is a good idea, so sometimes it is a needed requirement on a gig. However, when the gig is straightforward (i.e.“make me a logo with 1 revision”), and you have a time to deliver it, I don’t want the hassle of messaging you, and waiting another yet another day of back-and-forth emails. Turns a 2-day gig into a 3-day gig, and more work and waiting for me. I’ll pick someone who is ready to go and the clock starts now. The beauty of fiverr is the immediate gratification of placing an order.

So I would:

1. make sure your description is very detailed and clear, with exactly what is being delivered, or how many hours, or problems fixed etc. Also if a revision is included (big plus!). I can’t beleive how many gigs are just a vague sentence or 2 when you a lot of room to write.

2. try to avoid “You MUST message me first!” language. Pause your gigs if you are too busy (you can put in description that a puased gig just means you are too busy at the moment or out of town). If you do need that language, commit to a return message time. “Please send me your requirements before ordering, I will get back to you within 6 hours” or something like that.

I hope that helps some sellers understand this buyer’s perspective. I love my fiverr!

Hey thanks a lot for your feedback!

Really appreciate it, but sometimes (as in my case) I provide video editing and it happens that not every buyer is reading all the text in the description (thought I try to keep it short) as you are, so I end up with requests for 3D animations or some 3d template editing (that’s just example) or sometimes requests to do whole music videos only for a fiverr $5 and in the end I am having 100+ cancelled orders.

I have placed "Please note: due to the difference of each jobs, please★★★ CONTACT ME ★★★ BEFORE ordering, I am 24/7 online.Thank you!"

trying not to be rude and yes I am trying to be 24/7 online and to respond to all my messages right away

I know this is the same reason why the rest of the buyers are using that "contact me BEFORE ordering"

any suggestions how to make it better on our side would be again appreciated again.

Cheers

Chris

Really appreciate it, but sometimes (as in my case) I provide video editing and it happens that not every buyer is reading all the text in the description (thought I try to keep it short) as you are, so I end up with requests for 3D animations or some 3d template editing (that’s just example) or sometimes requests to do whole music videos only for a fiverr $5 and in the end I am having 100+ cancelled orders.

I have placed "Please note: due to the difference of each jobs, please★★★ CONTACT ME ★★★ BEFORE ordering, I am 24/7 online.Thank you!"

trying not to be rude and yes I am trying to be 24/7 online and to respond to all my messages right away

I know this is the same reason why the rest of the buyers are using that "contact me BEFORE ordering"

any suggestions how to make it better on our side would be again appreciated again.

Cheers

Chris

Cheers

Chris

Cheers

Chris

Cheers

Chris

That’s perfect…the “I’m online 24/7” is great (not that I would expect that literally) but it tells me you will get back to me quickly.

Perhaps also something like "video editing is complex, so please take a minute to give me a quick description of what you want so I can be sure I can do what you need. I’m online 24/7 so I’ll get back to you quickly and we can get started right away."

You wouldn’t believe how many sellers simply “don’t respond” (ever!) to questions when we contact them. I have a queue full of unanswered questions to sellers about their gigs.

I would also consider adding what you “don’t” do to make it clear. “Sorry, this gig doesn’t include 3D animations or X, Y or Z”.

If you are getting that many cancellations I would first assume that something isn’t clear in the description or title. It may be that buyers are being sloppy but I would consider re-working the description because that is what YOU can control. This could also help protect you from customer service issues when your terms are very clear to all.

That’s perfect…the “I’m online 24/7” is great (not that I would expect that literally) but it tells me you will get back to me quickly.

Perhaps also something like "video editing is complex, so please take a minute to give me a quick description of what you want so I can be sure I can do what you need. I’m online 24/7 so I’ll get back to you quickly and we can get started right away."

You wouldn’t believe how many sellers simply “don’t respond” (ever!) to questions when we contact them. I have a queue full of unanswered questions to sellers about their gigs.

I would also consider adding what you “don’t” do to make it clear. “Sorry, this gig doesn’t include 3D animations or X, Y or Z”.

If you are getting that many cancellations I would first assume that something isn’t clear in the description or title. It may be that buyers are being sloppy but I would consider re-working the description because that is what YOU can control. This could also help protect you from customer service issues when your terms are very clear to all.

Personally, I just had an issue with a buyer. I do have contact me first because some buyers just do not give the right instructions and they would be demanding for an express delivery when we are offering say 4 days delivery maximum. Today a buyer made my day hard. it was clearly stated that I am doing a video trailer and review (not on amazon which is also explained on the gig) for the gig he ordered, he did not responded to my query for a bout 3 days and when I deliver the video which I did for 3 hours he had a lot to complain about and he was literally bullying me for the work. I have been working for the past one month plus here and my work is good for all my buyers. I think even after having the ‘‘contact me first’’, the buyer was just purely blind and did not read the description nor my explanation. I think certain things have to be straight else we will have trouble. It is more of a business practice

Hey Galif, thanks a lot for the suggestion!

I am buying some stuff from time to time and yes I find that really strange, when you are out looking for business and then you do not respond to your messages, just now from messaging 3 graphic editors only 1 replied after 20hours. Strange or Insane, not sure lol

Jasveena, when you are providing a service , you are always with the risk of not being able to deliver, NO matter what the service is. I mean there is always a chance when the buyer is not getting what he is expecting, I know sometimes they are just demanding for more, I had some of those as well, but overall keep in mind that if someone is not happy just refund them (cancel the order) and you will be hassle free and keeping your feedback. its better to refund $5 even $100 back, than to argue and get negative feedback, which believe me would hurt your sells.

Of course that’s the last option, always try to communicate a way out and re-deliver if possible.

Cheers

Chris

I think it’s important that some sellers do have a contact me first if their job is complex, some buyers requirements can be way out the scope of what a gig might offer but it may not be possible to fully include every situation in the gig description. I know for sure I use it, if there is a morality issue with a certain product I’m asked to promote, I’d like a pre heads up from the buyer, just to save on a cancellation, which hurts the sellers rating!

Reply to @crslaytor: Crys! You saved me I think. I might want to do this. because I guess too bad I could not help it because he just seems like not interested in what I explain. He agreed to have a revision but from the last reply I got, he was suggesting the video be made in a totally different way. I think rather than wasting my time doing that and ending up having more complaints from him I may just cancel the order and save my 100& rating

Reply to @jasveena: no, mutual cancellations don’t affect your rating; but, be careful, every cancellation affects your Levels eligibility. So, having too many cancellations can lead you to lose all your Levels (and so extras!!).

This is the reason for which some seller decide to have a “[CONTACT me before order]”, just to let the buyer understand that your gig cannot be ordered without talking to you; if the buyer places the order and you cannot do that job, the only thing you can do is going through a mutual cancellation or let Customer Support cancel the order… and this can be bad for your business…

I had to use such a text in my main gig title after too many cancellations… now I’m trying to remove it, but I’m not sure it’s a good idea…

Guest mrspanda

That’s why I have my Fiverr messages connected to my e-mail, connected to my iPhone. They message me, I reply within minutes (unless I’m sleeping.) and we take it from there. I have a gig I simply cannot do without speaking to the client first.

I can see that getting incomplete or confusing info from buyers must drive you nuts!

My main point was that if you aren’t getting “enough” orders, and you have that restriction on your gig–that buyers MUST contact you before placing an order–that perhaps many “thorough” buyers like me are passing your gig up. I pass up and review a LOT of poorly written gigs before I make a purchase.

I have everything written out in great detail when I order, and I have yet to have a problem with a seller regarding clarity of orders. And yes, if it is unclear, and I can’t find an alternate gig, I will take the time and ask a question.

Also, suggesting that a buyer “might” want to contact you and discuss requirements so you can be sure to meet their needs and avoid cancellations (which buyers do not understand is a negative), is very different from the tone and atittude I am seeing more often in gigs. The “you must contact me or I will refuse the gig” or “contact me and I’ll tell you if I have time for you” approach is real turn-off, especially when a gig is straightforward and simply requires me to describe what is needed.

It sounds like you will have some tough buyers regardless, so perhaps this might bring you some new easy business! If you have plenty of gigs and use the approach of requiring prior contact, then this doesn’t apply to you!

Archived