Is IMDB profile considered illegal to post on your profile?

threedstunt

Roughly 2 weeks ago I updated my profile with an IMDB link, as most of you know IMDB is the largest portfolio data base for the entertainment world, and all the famous actors in the world have one of theirs portfolio in there as well, it is not managed by us individuals most of the time, but rather institutions that made the movie projects, so the only personal info there is your name… I’m a 3d artist, and I have worked on Oscar winning movie projects which I considered an honor, what I don’t understand is that I got a warning from fiver moderators after I put my IMDB portfolio there, saying I shouldn’t post anything with personal contacts outside of fiver… I wish there were contacts in IMDB, then I can probably contact my favored actors… I was presented with the accept button to comply never to do that again, which I did… its no big deal, I would never do that again, but what I’m afraid of is what comes next, it might prevent me from leveling up. What do you guys think of this?

Here it is:

The exact conversation as follows:

Me:

Greetings Fiverr support, I wanted to ask about leveling, as I have met all the leveling requirements and should have became a level 1 seller 1 week ago, but after waiting for 1 week, I’m still not leveled up, can you review my account and give me the correct level? if not it would be helpful to let me know what else I need to do, or when, I can become a level 1 seller, Thanks in advanced.

Fiverr:

Hi there,

Since there were some recent Fiverr TOS violations in this account, it would take more time for it to become eligible for levels. Please continue keeping up good selling performance and avoid violating Fiverr TOS again so that your account may reach higher level later on.

Thank you,

Jenny

Me:

Hello Jenny,

Thanks for your reply, I did noticed that warning from before, may I ask because I have posted my IMDB portfolio on my profile, if I’m not mistaken, according to the fiverr’s TOS I cannot contact users outside of fiver or post any contact info from links outside of fiver, and I completely understand that, but as most people know that IMDB is a public database for artists and actors who have contributed to well known movies, films or TVs it is considered an honor to any artists in my field, and every famous actor we know also have their profile there, and I don’t think its possible to put personal contact on a public profile like that, in fact I don’t have any access to that profile, it is managed by producers and institutions of the film industry, and by posting IMDB portfolio on my profile, I believe its what you guys encouraged as a form of self promotion, may I ask did that also break the TOS of fiverr? If this doesn’t cause a problem on leveling up, I’m completely ok with it, and so I just accepted the terms on not to post my IMDB, but if it caused a problem on leveling, I really wanted to know the reason why I broke the TOS, Thanks in advanced.

Fiverr(this is last one):

Ryan (Fiverr Customer Support)

Jun 16 19:08 (IDT)

Hi there

Linking to websites not approved by our editors, such as IMDB, is still in violation of our terms of service. Over time, your account may become eligible for the levels feature.

Regards

I honestly don’t know if I should continue this conversation because doesn’t seem like any good will come out of it, 😦 and the fact that frustrate me the most are, after all this conversations, my initial questions were not answered: “it would be helpful to let me know what else I need to do, or when, I can become a level 1 seller, Thanks in advanced.” as they could not give me an honest answer on the big question “when”? they just say eventually, since that can also mean forever.

No. You are NOT allowed to post a link to your iMDB profile.

For better or worse, the idea of not allowing us to post links like this is that Fiverr does not want people contacting us outside Fiverr. If people can contact you outside Fiverr than why would they buy the gig on Fiverr? They would just contact you directly and not use Fiverr at all.

That’s why you are not allowed to post links to various profiles, web sites outside Fiverr.

Reply to @bigbadbilly: That’s exactly my point, tom cruise(or ANY famous actor)for example also have an IMDB profile, my point is you will not be able to find my contact in any way from an IMDB profile, you can try it.

The irony is, while you’re encouraged to put your blog or youtube on your profile to showcase your own work, IMDB is a violation, that’s really something interesting.

Hi there.

Contact information is all over the pace on iMDB. I have an iMDB account and get jobs and contacted all the time from there.

(I’m an editor/Vfx artist and small time director. But I edit for large scale productions mainly) I’ve been in the business for about 11 years. Maybe 12 years now. Anyhow, my point is that I get gigs through iMDB all the time. So I’m not sure what you mean when you say theres no contact information. As for Tom Cruise, there’s no contact information for him, but there is for his Agent. As for Youtube and stuff, Fiverr does not want you to do that. You upload a video for your gig to Fiverr. Not Youtube. Same as a blog.

They are very strict about this kind of stuff, for just the reason I wrote.

Reply to @bigbadbilly: when I got my warning, it actually told me I can use youtubes and blogs instead of IMDB, and I’ve seen many top sellers used them, and I’ve also seen articles that encouraged the use of links toward additional portfolios as long as there’s no contact info, and that’s exactly what I did, as far as I know, I do not have any control over my IMDB, and its not possible to contact me from there.

Hmm, I’ve seen even links to deviantart portfolio in user profiles here. And I know you can contact users there, but at IMDB - I had no idea 🙂 Didn’t know it’s even possible before bigbadbilly post.

But my sympathy goes to you @threedstunt. I think you can post movie title and year instead of link if fiverr has problem with imdb links… Everybody know about google they find out information somehow.

Hmmm. Who knows.

As for iMDB, you must not have a pro/resume account.

Anyhow. Who knows. There are a lot of people who break Fiverr’s TOS all the time and never get caught. Well, I shouldn’t say never because one day they get dinged. Just seems like forever. I’m not a Fiverr employee so I really don’t know how the system works. I just always choose to be on the safe side.

@grosher, Thank you for the kind word, feels great to be understood.

@bigbadbilly, you’re right I do not have a pro account, and most of my colleagues don’t have it either, because there’s been incident that artists tries to manipulate their own credit, and that messed up with the record when the studio tries to manage for them, so the company advised we don’t make any change to it at all, and since the studio producers manges it, I never see a need to have an account there, I can’t say for everyone else though of course.

But the main reason I post it is because of its authority, its the only solid proof we had to put on the public as far as I know that proves we have worked on a movie, we can say we have work on whatever movie, but without any form of prove, who’s going to believe you? especially in the nature of fiver, anyone can say whatever, on your profile and probably can get away with it, in fact a 13 year old kid can say that he have worked on star trek, will you believe it? in fact I did work on star trek, for close to a year, if I just say it will anyone believe it? but its on my IMDB, do you see my point?

Here’s an update with support, for me this is the worst part:

me:

Ok, no problem, can you give me an estimate of how much longer it’ll take for me to get to level 1? would that take another 1 month? 6 month? or 1 year? Thanks.

Regards.

Fiverr:

Hi,

We can’t provide a time frame as there are many factors to receiving your level back. Sorry.

Best,

Jay

OK. Now this is interesting.

First off. Of course you can prove what you’ve worked in and what you can’t.

It’s called film credits. And union credits.

And you’re right. People can say whatever. But iMDB regular is the worst. ANYONE including yourself can edit your credits. You just log onto your profile and edit the profile. You can do it, or I can do it. You just submit it.

When you have iMDB pro with Resume it get’s harder to fake.

The fact that you do not know this means you’re not Union which means you couldn’t have worked on any larger scale films. The true fact is that if you use the regular iMDB, it’s the worst form of proof for anything because you can edit yourself!

(For anyone reading this, don’t take my word for this, go onto iMDB, pick your favorite movie and look for yourself. You’ll see “Add Credit” boxes in every field that you add yourself.)

As for having iMDB pro, that’s the only way to get info, so anyone who is a professional in the industry (Save a few A-Listers) get’s a pro iMDB account.

As for working on Star Trek, I find that hard to believe since you don’t even know how Agents work, or how iMDB works, or how iMDB pro works… and to work on Star Trek you would need to be in the Union, which would mean you would know all this stuff… which you clearly don’t. You can’t just walk off the street and work in a unionized production. You need to be in the Union. That’s the point.

I could put on my own iMDB that I worked on Star Trek. I am a paid up member in 3 different unions. I have earned and paid for the right to use the C.C.E. logo after my name in movie credits and it would be no problem to ‘Add’ a star trek credit to my iMDB. But when someone cross checked my iMDB credit against the Star Trek crew logs they would see it was a lie and have it removed. (You can do that to on iMDB) and it would tarnish my name and maybe get me banned from iMDB.

My advice to you? If you’ve put something on iMDB that isn’t true… well, they hire people to fact check and sooner or later you’re name will come up. And there’s nothing worst than seeing a big red “Disputed” logo on your iMDB profile, followed by what could be something worse.

Back to the original point?

I personally don’t care about anybodies iMDB profile. I don’t know who you are, maybe you’re actually Morgan Freeman checking out Fiverr. I have no idea. The point is that you earn your place on Fiverr, through Fiverr. Not through an external site. Your work, and the rating you get reflects who you are in this community. Not an external source.

Reply to @bigbadbilly:

bigbadbilly said: But when someone cross checked my iMDB credit against the Star Trek crew logs they would see it was a lie and have it removed. (You can do that to on iMDB) and it would tarnish my name and maybe get me banned from iMDB.

My advice to you? If you've put something on iMDB that isn't true..... well, they hire people to fact check and sooner or later you're name will come up. And there's nothing worst than seeing a big red "Disputed" logo on your iMDB profile, followed by what could be something worse.

This just made my point, you can create a fake one on IMDB but at the end it won't last long, it'll be taken out eventually, and if you have worked in this industry you would know, its very small, and there's no point in making anything fake about it, at the end it'll only hurt yourself, so lying about this kind of thing is completely pointless.

Lets get back to the point, I do agreed with this:

bigbadbilly said: I personally don't care about anybodies iMDB profile. I don't know who you are, maybe you're actually Morgan Freeman checking out Fiverr. I have no idea. The point is that you earn your place on Fiverr, through Fiverr. Not through an external site. Your work, and the rating you get reflects who you are in this community. Not an external source.

But, I'm fairly new in fiver, I have no level, no extra features, hardly any rating and review, and I have to use anything I have to increase my odds to have a successful business, don't you agreed?

btw, I understand it might be hard to believe for you, it is hard to believe for myself that I have worked on many of these projects as well, call it luck if you well, but I'm indeed proud some of these movies that I have worked on, and it would be a really good way to take advantage of it, to open up opportunities for me in fiverr.

One thing I can guaranteed to you is that there are tons of people involved many of these movies, not just star trek, if you look up the credits for all these movies, and I can tell you not everyone of them have an IMDB pro.

Archived