I became a Father last week & now my Fiverr profile looks different

creativeman

I don’t like to fill in all the skills, education and certification I have. I also don’t feel a lot for linking FB, Google accounts etc., as I separate my activities on Fiverr from my main on-line activities.
I also think that Fiverr is shooting itself in the foot by allowing to connect to FB and Google+ as this opens all the gates for sellers and buyers to communicate outside of Fiverr, and this is what they absolutely don’t want.

Since this was essentially a baby announcement with other stuff thrown in, congrats!

I LOVE the new LOOK of the profiles, but I don’t like the direction they’re going with what they’re adding to it.

The skills addition is pointless unless sellers can be filtered by skill in search, which would only be feasible if the skills were from a preset list, not written in, and/or skills will be searchable content, making them more like extended tags.

Skills makes sense on other freelancing platforms that have tests attached to prove you have those skills and how proficient you are. Without that, people can just lie and they already do that in their profile and gig descriptions. No need to add more fields for them to fib in.

Education is irrelevant for most gig types and creates unnecessary division that could potentially give sellers a leg up just because they went to college. In categories for technical fields (e.g. programming and 3D modeling), it would be in the buyer’s best interest to know that the seller they’re dealing with actually has a degree in those areas.

But who really cares if someone writing your name in rocks on a beach went to school? There’s something elitist about wanting to know someone’s educational background even when it doesn’t affect anything. I have degrees and I won’t be filling that in.

I second the person who mentioned integration with other platforms opening Fiverr up to buyers more readily being able to contact sellers outside of here, so I’m not sure where they’re going with that yet.

My concern with this new layout is that I like Fiverr for being one of the few marketplaces where you can remain completely anonymous instead of having all of your personal details broadcast.

I’ve seen a pattern of networking, social media, and freelance websites going from optional anonymity to forced total transparency over time and in every case, it started with small changes like adding your educational background or work experience and maybe linking to other sites that are already more transparent, like LinkedIn or Facebook.

Then came restricting profile photos to actual pictures of yourself instead of graphics or creative imagery. Then came having to use real names instead of usernames as the primary display, etc.

I really hope Fiverr doesn’t start to go that route. That said, I think Fiverr needs a way to weed out illegitimate sellers that are flooding the marketplace. If any of the changes they’re making are a precursor to that happening, I’m on board.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know what u mean. There was an update on facebook where every new user had to use their real name during signup.

An issue arose where users couldn’t create an account because the system was telling them that the name inputted wasn’t real. I prefer optional inputs besides; how do we know buyers won’t try to use these new features of skills, education and social media links against sellers when they don’t get their way?

Archived