Some of these people doing gigs need to understand how to read and understand directions/ english!

kahunasuki

I’ve had some issues in the past with buyers whose English was barely comprehensible. I’m not sure they’re even using automated translation, because the spelling is sometimes worse than the grammar.

So while it can certainly be frustrating—and occasionally a huge time sink—to try to communicate with someone who writes very poorly in English, I remind myself that, aside from English and French, they almost certainly know more English than I could speak in their native tongue. Fortunately it’s been rare that I’ve had to communicate with someone who was obviously being difficult rather than trying his/her best with limited English skills.

Some things I’d recommend to HELP steer clear of problems:

1. Use clear, concise language. Don’t use big words that non-native speakers are less likely to know.
  2. Avoid idioms and slang.
  3. Break up your questions or statements into a list, like this!
  4. If you can’t understand a buyer’s (or seller’s) request, tell them, and try repeating what you think they mean in your own words.
  5. If you’re frustrated, take a deep breath and come back to the message later if possible.
  6. Remember that most people aren’t trying to be difficult.

I’ve had some issues in the past with buyers whose English was barely comprehensible. I’m not sure they’re even using automated translation, because the spelling is sometimes worse than the grammar.

So while it can certainly be frustrating—and occasionally a huge time sink—to try to communicate with someone who writes very poorly in English, I remind myself that, aside from English and French, they almost certainly know more English than I could speak in their native tongue. Fortunately it’s been rare that I’ve had to communicate with someone who was obviously being difficult rather than trying his/her best with limited English skills.

1. Use clear, concise language. Don’t use big words that non-native speakers are less likely to know.
  4. If you can’t understand a buyer’s (or seller’s) request, tell them, and try repeating what you think they mean in your own words.
  5. If you’re frustrated, take a deep breath and come back to the message later if possible.

Archived