When to put your prices up

andrewgc

I’m a copywriter. I offer x amount of words for $5.

My question to you is: how do you know the right time to give your customers less words for $5?

For example, I charge $5 for 150 words. When can I reasonably go down to say 100 words for $5?

How do you on your gigs judge this?

Thanks!

For me it would be based on the time it takes to complete a gig for $5. If you are working on a $5 order and it takes you 2 hours that wouldn’t make much sense. Though the value of money is very different in many countries. Here in the US $5 is not much, but in other countries it’s a lot.

as you good 80 reviews so i would recommend you to work for kind of less price but use extra feature to earn more.when your review reach like 150+ then increase , or decrease amount of word,packages feature is very good in this case

This is an interesting point. The thing is with the nature of the work I do, the jobs vary. One would require extensive reading and research, while another would be relatively easy.

It’s not always about word counts, but it’s difficult to put a value on things other than that.

Keep in mind that when you make more money, Fiverr makes more money. There is a chance your gig may get more impressions if you present Fiverr with a reasonable hope that your gig may make them more money. The more impressions, the greater the chance you will get more clicks, and on and on…

You also face the likelihood that you may lose or alienate some buyers. Test it out. But only test a single variable of your gig (words per $) at a time.

My 2 cents…

Maybe you can make another gig. One based on word count and one for research? Just an idea since I really don’t know anything about the work you do ;). You might also want to compare your pricing to your competitors to see what they are doing. This would also give you a better idea if it would be OK to raise your price or not.

Well, as a copywriter I don’t charge per word, I charge per project. How do I know if an e-mail will require 50 words or 500? As for headlines, today I had someone pay me $5 to write 5 headlines. That’s just 41 words between all of them (I gave him free subheads, usually I charge extra for that).

Since you offer up to 150 words, you might end up with clients demanding 15 headlines for $5, while I would be charging $15 for 15.

Basically, use the chronometer in your smartphone to see how long it’s taking you do do a $5 gig. If it’s taking more than 15 minutes, you might have a problem.

With that said, writing TV commercials takes me 15 to 30 minutes, the only reason I keep that gig is because sometimes I need the money and I don’t want to put all my eggs in one basket. Sometimes your #1 gig has bad days, so other gigs might help you meet your goals.

Just remember to experiment week by week and not day by day. Days are too unpredictable to notice whether your changes were positive or negative.

Fast your point is valid, as charging per word is sometimes not feasible as being creative writer sometimes you have to dive deep enough to pick even single catchy word whereas the very next moment you find that thing right in front of you. So I think limiting your pricing strategy merely to per word isn’t right thing. Though this is my opinion and other’s may vary.

So is your way to split your gigs up? EG. for a script order this gig, for a headline order this gig?

The thing is, copywriting spans such a wide range of applications, that I don’t want to limit myself in terms of what I offer. I have a note in my description that ‘one gig = one element of copy’ to cover myself from clients asking for too much.

A lot of the times, clients approach me with interesting projects which I enjoy, but my word count charge makes it a lot of work for me outside of just writing.

It’s really difficult. For example, one client may need a simple professional email drafted of 150 words.

Another may need an advertising flyer that’s got information sourced from their website, and previous marketing material.

Charging $5 for each of those, the second one requires A LOT more work.

Well, the solution might be to keep the gigs you already have but maybe create a gig or two that are specific. That’s why I have a gig for headlines for t-shirts and one for general headlines, for example.

With that said, I think you’re too generous with your proofreading gig. 1,500 words for $5? That’s too much in my opinion, although to be fair I am offering 500 words for $5 and I rarely get orders, but then again, proofreading isn’t my thing, I just do it to make money. My gig states that I won’t proofread more than 2,000 words regardless of the money. Proofreading is tedious, and there’s only so much tedium I can take. 🙂

Archived