What's a decent income for a Fiverr seller?

writer99025

Now, I’m not going to tell you how much I made in the 2 years I’ve been on Fiverr 😉 but what do you think is a decent income for a full-time Fiverr seller? Don’t tell me how much you make, just tell me what you think is a decent income. Be realistic. If I wanted to make a 6-figure income, I would be an investment banker or a business consultant 🙂 Of course, the definition of a decent income depends on where you are located. In an emerging country like India, a USD goes much further, than say in an expensive first-world country like Australia. So let me know what you think!

To be considered middle class and not lower class financially in America and in the state I live in, a single individual needs to earn a minimum of $42,000 dollars a year before taxes. So this is slightly less than $4000 a month. This provides the bare necessities in the area I live in.
This amount is reduced by 15% self employment taxes, leaving about $3400 a month for the basics of shelter, food, transportation, electricity, health care, etc. This is really a tight budget for this area.

So an adequate income for a full time fiverr seller where I live would be at least $4000 a month, and hopefully more for a few luxuries like vacations. A “decent” income would be more.

Yeah, I’ve become so comfortable with it that I don’t want to change. Will think about it. I don’t think I have changed anything in any of my gigs for 2 years. They are just the same as they were when I was new…only the delivery time changes.

I know you don’t really need the extra income, but you’ll get more money for less work, plus you’ll free up some time to pursue other interests. Up to you, anyway 🙂 You do have a rather enviable position financially!

In my part of the world–a fisherman’s village turned tourist destination (it’s not a major player), the average wage is pretty low. Forgetting tourist prices (€30–50 for a night in a hotel room, or €9 at the local hostel), rent is reasonable at €200-300pcm for a room. Eating out–a beer, small starter and entree–could be €8–30 depending on the fanciness of your location. Groceries is maybe €50 a week between two people eating a regular diet with nothing too fancy.

Taking these kind of expenses into account, waitstaff can expect to earn €30/day (cooks closer to €50) for a 7-day working week in the summer (in winter months, those in a taxation scheme geared towards seasonal tourist workers get a monthly stipend of €600-700, which is enough to tide over with summer savings). Here a decent income would be anything around €12,000 ($13k) I guess. It’s roughly the national average salary, too, possibly a bit higher. Those in professional jobs obviously earn more, and the standard rate for tradesmen seems to be €100/day, but that is a patchy and irregular income.

As a Briton, I tend to try and make what would be the British average salary, which is apparently £25,000 ($36k). That won’t sustain a fart in London, but you’d be doing OK elsewhere in Britainshireland. A decent income is going to be different for everyone responding here due to their location and personal needs.

You have hit on one of my favourite debates. 🙂

I think about this income question (a lot) in terms of hard and soft benefits. My partner scorns what I earn here compared to what I used to/could earn but I don’t think about it in terms of just cash.

I have many soft benefits such as I get to pick my own work hours (as long as I don’t have too many orders); I get to keep my dog company; I get to be at home for alpaca management; I don’t have commuting time so in the winter I don’t leave home in the dark wee hours and arrive back home in the dark late hours; I’m not knackered 24/7.

Financially, I’m saving on commuting costs; I don’t have to pay for doggy-day-care (stop sniggering); I don’t have to pay someone to check the alpacas; I don’t have daily expenses of coffee, lunch etc.; I don’t need such an expensive phone contract.

Anyway, back to the question, and what is a decent income on Fiverr full-time?

I have decided it has nothing to do with the above (personal justification for not having a real job), or with where you live (which governs what you need to survive) and more to do with what the market will drive. So I would say if you’re earning $1600 a month based on a 40 hour week is a reasonable income expectation. (Yep, that’s $10/hour on average). NB. I don’t earn this. Yet.

A decent income to earn on fiverr, if you’re from the part of the woods that I’m from, for me, (because I don’t have a mortgage nor a rent) would be $1000 USD.

Just so you know, I get by with less than half that. It took a lot of practice, but I’m getting better at it 😃

I love alpaca and llamas, another type of camelid.

Camelids are members of the biological family Camelidae, the only currently living family in the suborder Tylopoda. The extant members of this group are: dromedary camel, Bactrian camels, wild or feral camels, llamas, alpacas, vicuñas, and guanacos.

WILD camels!

llamas are popular in Oregon where they are used as pack animals on hiking and camping outings.

Read Prof. Thomas Sowell’s Basic Economics, where he talks about how raising minimum wages would be the worst thing any government can do because it leads to a vast section of the population at the lower end of the society pushed out of jobs (businesses would automate low-end jobs or do it themselves or with fewer people). So it hurts the people that it is supposed to benefit. Also, it raises living costs for the rest of the population.

The perils of playing with market forces - USSR, Cuba and now Venezuela (and to a certain extent India, although we changed course somewhat in 1991). Check out what’s happening in Venezuela right now, they did everything Bernie Sanders would do and more. Argentina had a Bernie Sanders like government, which they kicked out because the entire country was suffering, now they have a hardcore capitalist in power. Brazil was one of the fastest growing economies, but now is almost on life support because of Bernie Sanders like policies of their last 2 presidents.

Archived