What Would You Do?

cyaxrex

Hi, some valuable advice would be greatly appreciated on this one.

Basically, I use a web-based software suite to create animated videos which I sell both here on Fiverr and elsewhere. This is not a suite which is commonly used by too many people and only a few here on Fiverr which is why I chose to use it.

Anyway, someone from that company’s marketing department has contacted me to say that they love the kind of videos which I am making and that they would like to feature me in some of their marketing materials. The upside for me is that they will link back to my website, give me a discount on my next annual subscription and be basically really nice to me.

This obviously is fantastic. The only problem is that I haven’t had time to update my own website in ages, as I have pretty much moved onto Fiverr over the past 6 months or so. In this case, if it were you, would you:

a. Get the company in question to promote your Fiverr profile?

or:

b. Redevelop your website and find a way to make a killing from the extra traffic?

Also, would Fiverr actually be okay with another company (in no way related to freelancing but obviously related to providing animated video solutions) publicising a Fiverr seller profile?

In fact, I think this might be a deal killer the more I think about it, but any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Well, first off I would find a really killer web guy who loves doing portfolios hint hint

But in all seriousness, it seems like an amazing opportunity. I have a feeling Fiverr wouldn’t mind having them promote your Fiverr profile, as they will be making money off of those referral sales. If you do go the website redesign route (and whether you hire me or anyone else) I would suggest adding a link, or even featuring your fiverr profile front and center.

For example, on my in-progress portfolio site, ****************/ , notice on the sidebar as your scroll down I’m featuring some of my reviews from Fiverr.

That would be my suggestion, but I’d love to hear everyone else’s

Yes, I’m composing a letter to Fiverr now in order to clarify how they would feel about the cross promotion. Also, thanks for the heads up with regard to the website business. My only problem is, I’ve never actually figured out what direction I want to go in with my website. I mean it’s so hard to decide… Affiliate marketing, advertising, pure self promotion… I’m a money whore at heart but because of that, my website doesn’t actually do anything for me anymore.

I think of it as a kind of web-based greed paradox.

I’m personally planning on pure self promotion, but keep those affiliate links handy for when a client needs to buy a piece of software for a project. Don’t know how I feel about ads on a personal page, it seems like you wouldn’t get enough public traction for it to really make cent, and if they are on your page, they want to know about you.

I’m planning on sharing my page everywhere, because often I get clients asking for past work, and I imagine it would be handy to show them everything else as well.

I’m not sure why they don’t give you a free subscription for another year instead of a discount. Also, if they link to you and you are making videos, why would anyone subscribe to their software? People could just have you make their videos for them and cut the company out of the subscriptions they are trying to sell.

They are not advertising their software, they are advertising you for some strange reason.

@misscrystal: Well, a subscription is $600 a year if you want the rights to sell and monetize videos, so I don’t blame them for not offering me a freebie. Also, I make a lot of video templates which I make free for other people to use. Their tools are a bit complex to get the hang of, so I am guessing that they are looking to expand their user base by showing what kind of things people can create.

Anyway, I’ve decided (at the moment) to see if I can do this with Fiverr and have just sent an inquiry to CS regarding if this would be allowed.

As for people coming to me to make videos rather than go directly to the company in question, this is how a large part of video animation works both on and off Fiverr. A company provides the tools to create videos which users themselves can use for free in many cases, but will charge $50-$150 for download, reselling and monetization rights per video.

It’s basically the same business practice used by SEO and Web Design Companies who really outsource all their work right back here to Fiverr. - Or that used by witches. Everyone can do magic, after all, it’s just easier in most people’s cases to outsource the fiddly bits.

I would use the Fiverr profile if it is your main work stream at the moment. If that changes in the future and your website is up to scratch then simply ask them to change the link for you. This is not uncommon and I have had people change links for clients. If they are that impressed with you then I am sure they would not have a problem doing it.
I think Fiverr would be more than happy to have good sites linking to it, we are encouraged to share our profiles and publicize them.

Yeah, so far no response from Fiverr but I have another day before I have to give a definite answer. Also, I might actually go with the website as this might push my book sales up a bit and allow me to start focusing more on a few extra potential revenue streams. The only problem is that I promised myself I would update the site a bit today but have had a bit of a deluge of orders.

In an ideal world, I would be able to clone myself, lock my clone away in a room with a laptop and free up some time. Obviously, I’d have to lobotomize the clone or something but alas, cloning is a little beyond my abilities at present anyway.

Archived