So you wanna be a Fiverr seller

david_ff

6:30 A.M. Alarm goes off, I drag myself out of bed.

6:31 A.M On my way to the bathroom I check my phone to see how many new orders and messages I have.

7:04 A.M. After cleaning up for the day, I sit at the kitchen table and fire up the laptop. It’s time to reply to all the messages that built up since 1:00 A.M. that morning.

7:25 A.M. I leave for work (Yep, I have a regular full-time job in addition to my Fiverr full-time job)

7:30 A.M. Sit in traffic. (Think about what other gigs I could offer, and how I can improve my current gigs.)

7:40 A.M. Sit in more traffic. (Think more about my Fiverr business, and how quickly I can get it up to speed so I can quite my other job.)

7:55 A.M. Walk to my desk and try as hard as I can to focus on the work at hand instead of Fiverr.

10:00 A.M. Take a break from work, to work on Fiverr. Pull up the Fiverr app on my phone and respond to messages I’ve received since 7:25 A.M. that morning.

10:42 A.M. Receive a notification/message that someone wants an express delivery. Silently wonder to myself, how I’m going to fit that into my schedule…

11:45 A.M. Drive to the local McDonalds and use the complimentary WiFi to work on Fiverr during lunch. Deliver one or two orders… depending on how focused I can remain and how many times I get distracted by ESPN or Facebook notifications.

12:45 P.M. Drive back to work and again try as hard as I can to focus on the work at hand, and put Fiverr to the side for a few hours.

2:17 P.M. Check and respond to a few Fiverr messages

3:28 P.M. Check and respond to a few Fiverr messages

4:43 P.M. Receive a notification/message that someone wants an express delivery. Silently wonder to myself, how I’m going to fit that into my schedule…

5:30 P.M. Leave my regular job

5:45 P.M. Sit in traffic. (Think about what other gigs I could offer, and how I can improve my current gigs.)

5:55 P.M. Sit in more traffic. (Think more about my Fiverr business, and how quickly I can get it up to speed so I can quite my other job.)

6:00 P.M. Give my wife kids a big hug and ask them how their day went.

6:10 P.M. Scarf down some dinner before it’s time to take the little ones to a little league game or music lesson, or one of the other twenty things they have going on.

6:20 P.M. Respond to a few messages in my inbox and send a few custom offers.

6:28 P.M. Time to head off to our little league game!

6:54 P.M. Check my phone and quickly respond to messages.

7:29 P.M. Check my phone and quickly respond to messages.

7:57 P.M We’re finally home, it’s time to get the kids in bed.

7:58 P.M. Tell the kids, “Nope, sorry we already had dinner, get to bed!”

8:04 P.M. Remind my the kids to brush their teeth.

8:09 P.M. Remind the kids AGAIN… to brush their teeth.

8:25 P.M Read a bed time story.

8:35 P.M Ask the kids if they brushed their teeth, and upon receiving the answer, remind them again to brush their teeth.

8:40 P.M. Actually say hi to my wife as we pass in the hall…

8:50 P.M. Tell the kids no more drinks, it’s time for bed.

9:00 P.M. Sit at the kitchen table and once again fire up the laptop. Respond to messages.

9:10 P.M. Tell the kids no more drinks, it’s time for bed.

9:15 P.M Pull up my dashboard and start working on projects. Hopefully deliver 3-5 projects.

11:24 P.M. Get up and walk around for a minute because my butt is sore and my legs are going numb. Grab a midnight snack even though I know better…

11:29 P.M. Put the finishing touches on some orders and deliver.

12:15 A.M. Take a look at my dashboard and review what I have coming up tomorrow (at this point it’s actually today.)

12:25 A.M. Respond to a few more messages (usually from my Fiverr customers on the other side of the world 🙂

12:45 A.M. Turn off the lights, shut down the laptop, check to make sure all the doors are locked, go upstairs and kiss my kids on the forehead while they sleep.

12:55 A.M. Slowly open the bedroom door so I don’t wake up my wife. The lights are off, the room is pitch black. I slide into the covers and sigh a breath of relief. It’s nice to finally be in bed again.

1:00 A.M. Sleep.

6:30 A.M. Alarm goes off, I drag myself out of bed…

I’m thinking since he has a family his Fiverr income is currently not enough to support them and himself “yet”. Its different when you are the head of a household as he would be the one to take on the majority of the family’s financial responsibility, just as I’m certain your husband is doing in your household unless you’re living with family or off the grid or something.

Freelancing is not as easy or guaranteed as many think even offline freelancing work is not always guaranteed and if you’re in the position(such as supporting a family) where you need a consistent source of income then a full time job is needed.

Looks like he would love to go that route someday though(slight pun intended). 🙂

Yeah, I totally understand about that. No, my husband has shares in businesses and we live from those shares (he is a consultant and ˝the brain˝ of projects/businesses) - but I have my own savings from my jobs in the past. So, I don´t think he will come here as a seller. Not because he thinks less whatsoever about Fiverr. Not like that at all, But he has made more than enough from what he has had now. He goes out sometimes for team meetings (but usually the team meetings are done via s***e), or for other things related to what he does, stuff like that. My husband is literally a genius (also a member of MENSA) and he has lots of ideas and he likes doing/making projects. He has his own office at home (but that doesn´t mean I can bug him). I never bug him when he is working (I usually cook and tell him when the food is ready, but it is up to him when he wants to eat. Most of the time we have lunch and dinner together though). When we still lived in the city, we almost always went out for dinner, but now that we decided to move to the country side (just so we can have many dogs and the dogs can run around freely), most of the time I cook. BUT, I love it 🙂

@jey242 Thank you 🙂 BTW, you must meet my husband in person to talk about business/projects, but not sure that can be done as we are not allowed to share private info here. But who knows someday we would bump into each other unintentionally in person (I met my husband unintentionally as well when I was travelling in another country, haha!). I personally don´t know about business/projects (if I know, I only know a little). He always tells me about everything (his projects, etc) but I get dizzy when he tells me too detailed things. It´s just my brain is so different with his. In my mind I only think about simple things. I am not good at discussing about complicated things (my brain is too lazy). Good thing he never complains. I mean, I am not stupid (me thinks, lol). But if we were a car, his brain would be like a sports car and mine would be like just some rusty regular family car 🙂

Great here’s what we can do. I’ll have my private plane fly to your country to pick him up my servant Lance will be there holding a sign with you’re hubby’s name on it. Your hubby can then follow this strange man into his private plane to be wisked away to another country to discuss business ideas and conduct financial transactions with an even stranger man, Tony my business associate. Tony is better than I when it comes to these types of things, he has more of a heavy handed approach when it comes to business.

Whether you were joking or not, just FYI my husband loves being ˝the brain˝ of projects. In case you got me wrong, I never said he invests money. So I assume it is you who wants to invest money as you have a private jet 😛 ? My husband gets his shares by being ˝the brain˝. By percentage, he gets less than 5% from each business/project he is involved in, but it is the number of businesses (and how much money the businesses/projects make) that matter for his income and they are all in different countries (he could be retired by now, but he likes doing what he loves doing what he does and I really don´t mind). Bless the internet that makes communication is way easier to do now. We don´t actually have to always be there physically to a meeting.

Thanks @annai80

My apologies for posting it in the wrong place. I agree there is not an “obvious” tip for sellers stated. My intention/underlying tip is to show other Fiverr sellers that being a successful freelancer isn’t always easy, and doesn’t simply just happen. It takes lots of hard work, and many long hours. Even sacrifice of many other things you’d rather be doing… (at least for the first while.)

I thought going through a typical day would be a good way to showcase this in a different, subtle, and interesting way. 🙂

And thank you everyone for the kind comments. Very nice of you. Good luck to you all with your Fiverr careers!

And yes, I am working very hard to get my Fiverr to a point where I don’t have to work another job in addition. And I’m almost there!!! Just a few more months…

Hysterical as Fiverr consumes your life! One thing I learnt was that you don’t get enough sleep and eat too many McDonalds 😉 Thanks for sharing, great to see the commitment needed to get on with this website. Kudos to you, Sir.

Archived