Disappointing experience [ARCHIVED]

louiseheroe

As a buyer I have to say what a disappointing experience.
I’ve contacted 7 designers for a logo for my online pet store. I had perhaps naively assumed that the portfolios displayed were the work of that designer, I now believe that these portfolios are a random display of graphics that they wish they had drawn.
All the designers I have contacted have advertised that their gigs are original and they draw etc etc. A simple search on google images has proved in 5 of the gigs I’ve paid for this is not the truth. 4 of the 7 designers have presented me with near identical icons, all no doubt lifted from the same source.
Most of the work presented to me bares little or no resemblance to the work displayed in the portfolios, particularly disappointing when asked for a play on words explaining the pun and then still being sent the lifted generic pet silhouette.
I’m now going the motions of asking for refunds where the work has been particularly bad. 3 cases out of 7. although part of me feels a scathing review to warn off others would be better.
The checking the designers should be the first page you see, not something you stumble up on when looking for the complaints procedure.

I’m sorry that you have had this experience. However, whether here on Fiverr or on other freelancing sites, logos and unique graphic design have a bit of a reputation as being a bit of a risky investment, simply due to the fact that they are so easy to plagiarize.

As a bit of advice, I as a writer & basic animator sell services for $5 which will take me half an hour to an hour maximum to complete. (And all my work is 100% legit). I have, however, created a logo myself in the past for a sadly failed web project which I attempted to start up and this took me a couple of days to get right.

The above being the case, if I were buying a logo on Fiverr, I would only do so from a seller who is priced between $50-$100, offers at least 2 revisions and has rave reviews. Now, I hate saying that as there is a circle of belief which says that anyone who sells anything for $5 (like I do) can’t be trusted to provide quality work. However, creating any kind of visual media takes quite a bit time. In this case, iit’s worth buying from a seller who is honest about the true cost of a piece of material in this regard.

I agree with cyaxrex – logos are tricky on here since they take so much work and are so individual, and I actually disabled my logo gig for that reason (the recent ones you see on my portfolio were special requests from a repeat buyer). However, I do think there are good design gigs on Fiverr. A couple of tricks for next time:

• always message a seller first. That way you can feel out how professional they are, clarify any questions, and bounce ideas back and forth.
  • if possible, go in with an idea of what you want. If you leave the work up to the designer, the odds of them coming up with something you hoped for are very slim, simply because you’re two different people.
  • if the above isn’t possible, consider buying a few “rough draft” gigs first. It will be worth the money and the useless logos when you come away with a solid idea of what you do and do not want.
  • also if you don’t know what you want, examples are a great help. Those can be from your competitors or different industries – they should just be something that impressed you.

I’m sure I haven’t covered everything, but hopefully my advice will make your next experience better!

I have just had to cancel an order (my first on Fiverr) as the designer used someone else’s work (a graphic designer I have used via istock but couldn’t afford this time) and passed it off as his own. The work he submitted had no resemblance to the work he was trying to say was his and was a very, very poor excuse for what had been asked. How he had gained many 5* reviews I will never now. Now in the process of trying to drawer down my funds and see I’ve had to pay fiverr a processing fee to be lied to and not have any work completed. So annoying!

If a seller has lots of sells/reviews and still offers a logo for $5(or any other service for dirt cheap) then you probably wont get an original artwork. New sellers might offer you a bang for the buck because this is an effective way to get the first few orders. But workig several hours for $5 is just not worth it in the long run.

I’m having the same issue as the OP. Tried 2 different designers now. First one was cancelled as they never got back to me, and I got my money back. Second one is due tomorrow, the designer has not responded to my post. And now the Gig is gone from my cart and my money is gone with it … what do I do now?

The funny thing is, I had someone inbox message me asking if I would like a logo designed. I checked out their gig just for fun (I already had a logo) and saw that he was advertising logos that he did. Some of the ones he had displayed were the logo for Mercedes, Nickelodeon, and many others. I messaged him back saying if he didn’t remove those logos, I would have to contact those companies and say he was illegally using their logo. Needless to say the gig was deleted the next day.

The Best way to choose a designer for your project is to see his/her profile (Not on a single gig) check out buyer reviews and make sure the reviews are not fake… if you got designer having fresh original reviews then that will be your vest choice… I think but newbies should have chance but howww… don’t know

• 2 weeks later...

best to contact several and then make a decision.

I also had a very disappointing experience ( wordpress with extras ).
seller keeps me hanging for 3 days without any communication.
then comes up with flimsy excuse. ok do not take the job if you cannot complete.
agrees to cancel. fiverr sends survey. what was gig cancelled. was there any communication when order was being processed. a big zero to seller ( had good ratings and said he can do the job ). buyers ask to cancel right away if seller is not communicating.

I am utterly disappointed too! The first designer used a tempated logo design from the internet. The quality of work was super poor! Now I am onto the second designer and again I am dissapointed - I only receive one logo design and no other to choose from! The quality is poor again and doesn’t reflect my brand personality. All the requirement I wrote was not even taken into consideration.

I have no more interest and patient to try another designer as I have a deadline to meet to file for my logo Trademark. I want a full refund and my money back into my account. How can I do that?

It’s not hard to believe that so many people here have had such bad experience from the sellers who had good rating and good reviews.

Didn’t really like what she [seller] came up with so i threw in ideas and told her what to do(I did explain what sort of design i wanted from the very beginning). Communication wise all she would ever said was couple lines that she would deliver and then not reply for another two days. At one stage i asked her to change something and add an “s” to a word. After two days she delivered me with exact same thing with s included.(No really Even i know adding S to the word probably took her a minute and she took two days for that)

After 10 or 11 days of keep trying to get her to make something good, i gave up and decided to go with the logo and not worry anymore. Then there were no stationary designs included. So i asked her to do that, and the end result was she made a Template (Blank white sheet with my logo on it) and gave me that.

So after all the frustration I completed the job(Big mistake) and gave her a bad review. Then she started to TELL me to change her review and when I denied it her response was this(Are you from India?) Considering she thinks I might be an Indian, and she is from Pakistan, That was my reason to give her bad review!!!

From a designers perspective, if you are serious about getting a logo. Contact someone with a graphic design background first, someone who you can trust. And not that neighbourhood kid who is good at Photoshop, but someone who you know has actually studied graphic design. Ask him or her to go through sellers here on Fiverr, and come up with possible candidates for you. A person who has studied graphic design can sort out the bad apples really fast, literally in matter of seconds.

Clipart usage for a logo itself is not bad. If there is no copyright infringement involved, if you are not planning to expand your business, and you already have your customers or followers who love you no matter how you dress. Probably over 90% of small businesses have their logos made out from clipart anyway (although majority of them are unaware of it).
But if you are indeed serious about building a brand, then it’s worth taking those extra steps, finding a designer to consult with first. It will save your time, money and headaches in future.

Archived