1$ per article?! Why do we have falling standards?

indiepharm

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you not accept sellers from countries where English is not spoken? There are so many people who study English at a professional level, and more importantly, they are taught a ‘‘standard English’’ which relies mostly on grammar and correct speaking. I think it’s really unfair to judge sellers by their nationality, not their skills.

Well, I am not a writer on Fiverr but I still wanted to comment. I believe this all depends on the “Buyer” actually rather than the seller. This all varies/depends on multiple factors such as budget. The buyer who wanted 5 articles for $5 can be due to budget limitation.

Moreover, if someone is willing to write 1 article in $1, it’s their choice. Probably they just want to start up on Fiverr by getting some orders (read: reviews).

If you don’t want to work for $5 for 5 articles it’s your choice.

And this is not just with the writing gig, it’s with every category. From website development to application development or to graphic designing, you will always find someone willing to work for much less and providing a good quality service.

I have refused like more than 10 orders (one of them was today, he was offering 1.75$ per article) till date because of this same reason even though i am new (Level 1, Article Writer) on fiver and my recent delivery was 7 days ago. People offer way too less for the work they demand.

I am honestly shocked of his statement, especially being from the United States where there are about 42.1 Million People Immigrants, who speak English. Does that make them speak English perfectly? I don’t think so. Coming from a background of language learning, I feel offended. Even more, I think most of the top sellers who write in English come from different parts of the world, not raised speaking English.

I would have to agree with @jonbass on this matter. I myself come from a country where English is not spoken as a native one, but I would most certainly choose a person who delivers great articles, despite of the national affiliation. There are many great writers outside English-speaking countries, but there are also some bad ones who speak English as their native language. There aren’t any rules, but you can surely see who is a good writer and not, by using punctuation marks, capital letters etc. in everyday writing. I am usually disgust when I see someone writing with lowercase letters when there should be capitals.

I am certain that @jonbaas had no bad intentions when he expressed his opinion.

@anamariaedan, we love you, don’t be offended. <3

@jonbaas, I entirely understand where you’re coming from, my whole refference was to these words of yours ‘’ I would never hire anyone to write an article in English, who comes from a part of the world that does not speak English’’.

I don’t want to argue, but I felt like I should say something because it honestly bothered me.

With that being said, I completely agree with the rest of your arguments.

@indiepharm, Love you too! <3

Not taking side. Just an observation.

@anamariaedan got a point by asking, ˝Does that make them speak English perfectly?˝ (As we know those people who come to USA are from different continents whose native language is not English).

But @Jonbass also made a point by saying, ˝If you cannot write in clear, succinct, understandable English, with good grammar and syntax, then you should not be offering to write professional-level English articles˝.

But really, I don’t think it’s right for anyone to judge. If people want to write an article for $1, they have every right to do so. You find that to be humiliating? Well, there are a lot of people who find writing articles for $5 or $10 to be pathetic. I write $5/$10 articles for people who then get them published on sites such as Huff Post, etc. You know how much they get for the same article from Huff Post? $500- $1000. Now should I feel sorry about it? Should I complain about my “intellectual work” having no value? No, not really, because I really don’t care about that. If not for writing, I would be spending my time reading Kindle or watching TV. So I find it amazing that get to make money from something that I don’t really see as “work”. Writing is fun to me and I really have nothing else to do. I am not in this for money, I just want to spend my time productively. I get enough orders, if I didn’t I would probably go on Buyers’ Request and probably do articles for $1 rather than waste my time watching TV. So, don’t judge people for writing articles for $1. Because trust me, you are being judged for writing articles for $5/$10 or whatever. Well, rambling post. I’m off.

One more thing…standards have nothing to do with price. Be proud of your work. Don’t allow “price” to dictate your “standards”. Do your best every single time. Enjoy the process - the writing - not the consequence - the money you make out of it. If making money is your priority as a freelance writer on Fiverr, then you are only setting up yourself for disappointment. Become an investment banker or something. Money does not decide standards. You do.

You have to draw borders somewhere, right? If only love for writing matters, I guess that you would accept the ebook task. 🙂 It’s not about being fond of writing, as a discipline which allows you to grow by all means, but it’s the actual difference between breaking your spine for a small wage and enjoying what you do for the right price. I guess that love hasn’t got do anything with the price, but it would be a pure nonsense to accept the ebook task, even though it might be topic which you enjoy the most. Therefore, some standards should exist and the borders should be drawn to fit these standards.

I agree that the regular pricing on Fiverr for writing tasks might be silly to someone and it is actually devalued, but we have all agreed to go with that. But, if we allow such things to happen in the future, then the standard will follow even lower and $1 will become another regular routine. I wouldn’t like to see this happen, but it happened on numerous freelance websites. Moreover, the change of standards would mean that the sellers would eventually leave Fiverr as a viable option.

It’s free market… the market sets the standard, as simple as that. But you didn’t get my point. I didn’t do the ebook for $5 because I have other orders and other options. I don’t go to buyers’ request and do articles for $1 because I have other options and get many orders. But if I didn’t, and had nothing else to do, I certainly would consider that. I can think of several jobs that are worse than that. Writing? It’s not even a job - it’s fun. I sometimes marvel that I’ve made so much money from it. LOL. If I had nothing to do, I would do those $1/articles and watch football at the same time, instead of just watching football.

@indiepharm, I have to agree with you on this matter. I do love what I do, but there has to be a line at some point. To me, Fiverr is my full-time job. As much as I would love to take on some $5 orders which would usually cost $25, just to occupy myself, I have to prioritize buyers who do appreciate the value of my work. I am not in the position of selling just for fun, I do it for a living. But maybe that’s just me…

Exactly…that’s what free market is about - you set your own standard and live by it. Don’t expect a standard to be set for you. The market sets its own standard which is defined and dictated by the co-relation between demand and supply. The market is what it is - I don’t believe in ranting and raving if the standards set by the free market don’t meet those that I identify with. You can either choose to participate in the market, or decide not to. But don’t begrudge those who do. The market is not right or wrong, the market is as it is. Any society or organization or people that have fought the market have since been consigned to the dustbins of history. Don’t blame the market, don’t hate it, accept it and make the most of it.

Archived