Why do people keep misgendering me?!

danielbarnes93

I’ve had a lot of positive feedback from my buyers, which is great. However, I find that a fair few of them refer to me as “she”, sometimes multiple times within a review, even though I consistently sign my messages with “Daniel”- not a name I’ve ever heard used as female. At first I thought it might be something to do with the language barrier, but I’ve since had people who speak English as their first language do it, too. Can anyone suggest why this might be, and what I could do to stop it- I don’t really want to just come out and say it to customers and come off as rude!

I wouldn’t worry about this too much. People call me all sorts of random names and sometimes talk to me like either we’ve worked together loads previously (which we haven’t) or as if they don’t know me at all (when they do).

If fact, as hard as it might sound, you might just have to accept that you are Danielle now, just like I’m Bob to some people on Fiverr and Penelope to others. (I made those names up but I’m sure you get the point).

You really don’t look it in that photo. It may be just a particularly good (or bad, depending on how you take it) photo. I would suggest changing it as you do look very young and for the type of work you do I would be hesitant to give it to someone who looks so young. IMO you look around 16-18.
For older people like me and @writer99025 we see the number 93 and think “wow, he was born in 1993! That’s only a couple of years ago!”
(Please don’t take offence at this comment, it is meant as a helpful tip!)

I didn’t really look at your profile, but everyone else is pretty much right. You suffer the curse of the babyface, and your profile picture is a little coquettish. Throw in the tiny pic and unless you’re obviously a man or a woman, it can be hard to tell. I recommend a new one where you don’t have a fringe (slick it back or something) and jut out your jaw in a powerfully masculine way. Or grow a huge beard as seems to be the fashion these days. A fashion I don’t understand. Beards are for middle-aged Dads, priests, coffee-breathed schoolteachers/lecturers, classical philosophers and vagrants. A wide-ranging group, but personally, I like a wuffly mustache at most. Beards are a haven for bacteria, yesterday’s breakfast and hipsters who ride bikes without brakes!

I dunno, you probably shouldn’t be taking profile pic advice from someone looking at a tiny bell pepper in theirs. You could do that, too, but you’ll have to use another vegetable.

I recommend you to just stay with that profile photo. When you change your photo to a different looking face, do you know that your regular customers will disappear? This is because they will not trust you anymore…They know you the way you look now, then tomorrow when you decide to change, they will see as if you are another person.
I think you will have to accept that you are Danielle in order to retain your regular clients

• 1 year later...

Don’t worry about this,
I had funy experience in real life. When i got my dreads i was blonde and it looked like this hairsrylezz, but I I’ve had interesting things happen to me:
I used to work in an inner city youth program. Before and after work people would either ask me for drugs, ask me if I wanted drugs, or get real quiet as they thought I was an undercover Narc.

us.jpg.28fb8091689270934c20739fe1e13a9f.jpg

Well, the name Daniel easily can be a name of a woman, why not. And some people have their image of difference between woman’s conversation and man’s. They even get surprised when they find out who you are, and can tell you that someone communicates like a woman/ man (reverse to depending on who is who). So that also can be this stereotype.
Sometimes it helps to avoid prejudice.)

Well, Danielle, I don’t see what the problem is? 😛

Some people are just idiots. Just make a joke about it or ignore it and continue with the business stuff.

i remember a certain incident though…a couple weeks back 😉

You really don’t look it in that photo. It may be just a particularly good (or bad, depending on how you take it) photo. I would suggest changing it as you do look very young and for the type of work you do I would be hesitant to give it to someone who looks so young. IMO you look around 16-18.

For older people like me and @writer99025 we see the number 93 and think “wow, he was born in 1993! That’s only a couple of years ago!”

(Please don’t take offence at this comment, it is meant as a helpful tip!)

we see the number 93 and think "wow, he was born in 1993!

I want my user name as aman96 then,😜

I want my user name as aman96 then,

You should have created your own account, then, with the username of your choice. 😜

@catwriter Actually, I’ve worked a lot in this account and having permission to use it so I don’t want to create a new one.I’m afraid of posting thread by new account title as I’m not getting orders help me please .😜

Archived