Sellers, don't get scammed to work for free!

adetorrent

This is a hard one because I just started using fiverr in Jan, and I asked a writer to provide samples for me and she wouldn’t. And I got suspicious thinking, what is she hiding. But you see, as a buyer, my attitude is why is she expecting me to part with £700 and not see a scrap of your work? I felt like I was the one being scammed. The sample I wanted to see was something she had written before that she would just keep to show people like me. So in the end she didn’t send me anything, I didn’t order and just ordered from someone else who showed me what they can do. From my side of the fence it makes sense, but I understand that people are out there trying to get rich.

Yes, i get what you are saying. It’s tricky. My tip would be to talk with the seller first, see the communication… If it is good and he/she has good reviews, buy 1-2 articles. If the writing style is good and he/she is responsive then continue ordering. Don’t believe much to the sample articles as well, they can be fake and copied too.

I experience simply case. A buyer order my gig to review his website and write a report in eBook format about 1500words for him which I did.

After I send the file to the buy, he say he was not please with the job. I had to cancel the gig order with him and later find out he use the writeup content word for word on his site.

We just have to be careful.

Nice of you for the notice

A quite common issue I have is, that the customer buys a simple Gig and then directly is asking for free extras.

As the first possible step in Fiverr is 5$ —> 10$ this would be a 50 % discount for a Basic Gig, what is absolutely impossible to give, and should be obvious, but at least half of the buyers get angry in some way, when I stat this out, and cancel the order…

In most cases these are recently registered customers that never bought anything from me before… 😦

Oh, I regularly do that, but this particular buyer irritated me by also noting he was doing this with multiple buyers as if it was some sort of sample competition. Whether he was genuinely clueless or a scammer, I don’t know–but he certainly never got back to me–and I’ll bet my last dollar that he had no intention of spending a princely sum such as $35 for whatever the project (with lots of future work, naturally) was.

If people want a customized sample, they’re getting a custom order for $25. Or my initial reply if I’m feeling particularly irate.

This is a completely different scenario in which you refunded an unhappy buyer, not a situation where you did free work (although in the end…)

Since he’s using your content and hasn’t paid for it, the copyright stays with you. Report this buyer to Customer Support–this buyer may well be known for this behaviour and get banned!–and maybe investigate other legal options if you feel like it.

There is nothing wrong with outsourcing done right. You probably do it every day without realizing it. There are certainly bad practitioners out there, but you just have to watch out for their mating signs, which are not terribly subtle.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived