1 Year Seller Anniversary on Fiverr

jamesbulls

James, regarding the conversion rate, is that the number of sales made compared to views?

For instance if you had 300 views and and 15 sales would your conversion rate be 5%?

I liked what you said about fiverr being a “point of sale machine”. In other words it is up to us to get our own impressions and business. So your monthly income is not coming from the impressions you are getting from fiverr?

There are different ways to measure it, and at different stages, but you start with the conversion flow:

Impressions > Clicks > Views > Orders

Let’s look at my best selling gig (in fact, my only gig) for the past six months:

736e4db.png

Granted, this isn’t a perfect representation since it doesn’t show its performance for the last year (which would be even better), but it’s a start. So, what we’ve got here is 200,000 impressions - which is the number of times my gig was displayed somewhere on the Fiverr platform. It’s generated 6,800 clicks, which means those are people who saw an impression and wanted to learn more. But, there are 14,000 views - more than double the number of clicks - and that’s due to external traffic that didn’t come through the Fiverr platform. And finally, 804 orders.

Put it together, and I can measure the strength of my conversion at different levels. Time for fractions!

6,800 clicks / 200,000 impressions = 3.4% of all people who saw my gig on Fiverr clicked to learn more. Truth told, I don’t care very much about this number because this is like mass marketing: it gets shown to people who might not even have any interest, and it might also display just as a recommended gig to 'net spiders crawling the web. Whatever.

But it gets interesting when we look at the following:

804 orders / 6,800 clicks = 11.8% conversion ratio. So, of all the people who clicked on my gig, 804 of them made an order of at least $5. But this only accounts for all the people who clicked on my gig from within the Fiverr platform. An even more interesting number is when we look at views, because that includes not just people who clicked, but also external traffic:

804 orders / 14,000 views = 5.7% conversion ratio, which is half the previous number. What gives? Well, this is one of the reasons that I don’t pay money for external advertising - I do my own white-hat SEO and social media marketing, because what these numbers say is that - within the Fiverr platform - I’m knocking 'em dead. 11% conversion is terrific! In other words, there’s something magic about the Fiverr experience that works in my favor. But what else does it say? It says that I’m doing a REALLY good job at attracting views from outside Fiverr, but it’s either curiosity from people who aren’t really interested in buying, or else they got here and found some other objection to the sale.

So I can use these numbers different ways. One way is to celebrate that I’m doing great within Fiverr, but another way is to consider that I’m attracting a LOT of attention on social media, but I’m not closing the sale as effectively as I could. Well, it could also mean that bots programmed to find certain content on the web are clicking on my links and inflating my views, but that’s really hard to know for sure.

But, a 5.7% conversion rate is still very decent, and judging by the volume of work that I get it’s nothing to complain about. Truth told, I’m not sure I could handle a higher volume of sales right now!

Archived