What can you do with $4

prologo1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$4 (American) is roughly $4.95 Canadian at the moment. In this part of rural Canada, that would buy any one of the following:

• roughly 3L gasoline/petrol
  • two loaves of average bread
  • a kilo of strawberries
  • half a kilo of fancy apples (eg., Royal Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious), or two or three kilos of cooking apples (eg., McIntosh, Spy)
  • 3L apple juice
  • either one dozen or two dozen chicken eggs, depending on where you shop
  • roughly a litre of cooking oil (This one can go higher or lower depending on the type of oil you choose: olive is more expensive than sunflower or peanut, for example.)
  • half a dozen medium-sized chocolate bars
  • several dozen extra-cheap ball-point pens or a dozen regular ball-point pens

Reply to @traxie2001: I entirely agree with this. I deliberately live in a low-cost area so I can work doing what I enjoy even if I don’t make as much money! In the part of Texas I am from, $4 would get me:

-3lb bag of rice and similar sized bag of dried beans (would feed me and spouse for days)
or
-loaf of wheat bread and a jar of peanut butter (would also feel me and spouse for days)
or if I didn’t need those things
-a matinee movie
-2 tacos and a coke at Taco Bell
-2-4 decent e-books

(I see this is a resurrected thread and I’m replying way up top but oh well!)

In Chicago my $4 is taxed (for me) at 28% by the federal government and 4% by the state. Which leaves me with $2.72. Of that 25% goes towards my child support obligation. So that leaves me with $2.04.

There’s not much you can do with $2.04 other than sit in a corner and cry.

Well, I don’t really get the $4 as we have VAT and income taxes… (normally I do get part of it back in tax refund if I don’t make enough money in a year) so it’s just and just $3 that I get… gladly dollar is strong, so in euros that is perhaps 2.75.

And for $3 in Finland, you get half an hour parking time in the city centre; maybe 1.5litres of gas; or 1 way city bus ticket (or two way in Helsinki, but my town is expensive - but Turku city is even more expensive, $3 wouldn’t even be enough for a bus ticket!)

You can get a doublecheeseburger for $3; but not a bicmac.

You can get a cup of coffee in a gas station coffee shop; but not even a cup of coffee in a more fancy cafe.
$3 I can pay 1/200th of the rent.
Stamp for a 75g letter to mail is about $3

You can get a store brand pint of beer for $3; but you’d never find a bar that sells beer under approx. $6

I am seriously thinking of emigration… Even just south in Estonia, they only have to pay income tax for profits made, not for all sales as in Finland!

Reply to @katja1700:
You forgot a couple of things we pay in Finland
4 $ after currency exchange 3,579 € - vat = 2,596 € - mandatory fees (insurances etc) = 2,055 € - income tax (mine 20%) = 1,514 €
For 1,514 € i can buy enough fuel to go home and back to my workstation the next day for the next gig, or i can buy some ink for the next gig.
Its mostly a hobby for us Living in Finland, a hobby that partially pays for itself.

Archived