Buyers want samples before they order a gig

Guest domodee

This is just personal opinion, but I think many sellers would handle it better if Fiverr didn’t have such a rigid review setup. As is, sellers who are new can be decimated by even “positive” reviews. Fear is a terrible way to control people.

The binary review system was straightforward. Buyers could check a positive thumbs up based on satisfactory to excellence. On the other hand, a 3 star “satisfactory” rating for a seller with no reviews is ruinous.

I want buyers to rate me honestly. If I sold on Amazon and had an honest 4 star average, most buyers would consider that quite good even if my product had some negatives too. On Fiverr, a solid 4 star rating would put me at about 80%. Without a single negative review, that wouldn’t be enough to keep my level 2 badge or use buyer requests.

If I had all 3-3.5 positive ratings with buyers writing “satisfied” and solid on-time delivery, my percentage would be roughly 65% putting me out of business. I’m not saying 3 stars is an ideal rating, but it doesn’t seem fair that instead of a line in the sand it’s a razor blade spike strip.

I look forward to having enough reviews to breathe even after a negative. I do make mistakes, buyers have bad days and occasionally a CS rep doesn’t have your back. The system puts a target on the most vulnerable sellers.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been asking for samples frequently lately, this hasn’t happened so often in the past, most of the times when they ask for samples buyers are basically asking that you start working on they projects before an order is placed and this is against fiverr rules.

If you are such great expectations then don’t go post a request and fish for offers. You will get replies from newbies who are trying to make it on Fiverr (like me -except I don’t do logos). If you want the best experts do your leg work: search and find them (there is an option to sort gigs by reviews) and order from them. I doubt any TRS is out there replying to buyer requests, they are too busy for that. Oh and don’t expect to pay $5 for the top talent.

Guest johno2110

Just to add my two cents.

I do videos and if a buyer ever asks me for a sample, I take these into consideration

1. Time

If the sample is going to take you more time then you can afford simple don’t do it, although it you know your self that you can do a rough mock up in the short amount of time, do it!!

1. Repeat Buyer

If it’s a repeat buyer and I know that they are genuine people I will do the sample with no questions asked.

You have to be very careful in dealing with buyers wanting samples but if done correctly, you can up-sell them much easier

AND REMEMBER TO PUT A WATERMARK!!. No sane scammer would use anything with a giant watermark.

Guest domodee

What if he puts $100 price…and he gets 50 free samples and he likes one of them. He will make a new request with $5 price and he will said: I have the logo already you just need to copy it! …a lot of sellers will do that, its easy job and they will get great review.

Guest domodee

Some people have bigger IQ some have lower, maybe it’s their fault maybe it is not. Fiverr should be equal for everyone and that option of requesting a free sample should be removed. As you said this is not 99designs, Freelancer etc. …it’s not a contest based site.

You can’t stop buyers from asking for whatever they want and you can’t stop sellers from offering what they want. Taking away attachment features only hurts sellers who don’t understand other ways to display samples.

It might accidentally encourage new sellers to break more of the ToS. If it doesn’t look right to you, don’t answer those.

Samples don’t need to be custom or usable (non-watermarked) to show you can do a job. I don’t think it breaks Fiverr rules to do custom samples, though. Fiverr doesn’t suggest working on projects before an order is made because if you do, they can’t help you if you run into trouble. Some buyers are going to ask for the moon for $5 or even for free. We choose what to do with that.

As someone who is a buyer of a logo, I saved myself from paying for some unbelievably awful logos by first requesting samples, things were completely off center, very childish and crude. .I can see why a buyer would ask for a sample. I was shocked by what sellers provide as logos.
It was not that they were not to my taste, it was that a blind monkey would have done better.

Just tell them you can’t do that, but that you can let them see the (unfinished) work in progress. If they’re unhappy with your progress, they can cancel the job. (They can, can’t they?) Also, can you place an obvious watermark over the work you show them? I would.

I am not new, but I wouldn’t expect a buyer to commit to much without seeing my work. I don’t create special samples for buyers unless they want to pay $5 for a partial work but I just put real work out for anyone to see. When I was new, I did the same thing by showing practice work. I don’t understand the unfair part, I guess, so I’m trying to figure it out.

Guest hiddart

Whats the point of watermark if he makes a $100 request, he gets one sample that he likes with watermark. He deletes this request and makes new one of $5…saying that he needs something to be copied. That’s easy job and most sellers who needs a good review will take it. There’s a lot of buyers like that and that’s one of reasons sending files in offers should be removed.

Plain and simple; from a personal standpoint, a basic gig package should be set up for sample orders. We also have this in place in the event that a buyer has a project, let’s say 200,000 words and would like a sample, prior to sending the entire document. For just $5, they would get a quick sample of perhaps 1000 words, and of course it would not be considered free labor.

A ‘win-win’ so to speak.

Regards,
Speedy876

As a copywriter, I submit all my standard deliveries in PDF format. Either that creates some issue for the Live Portfolio system native to Fiverr® or none of my clients have clicked the “show Live Portfolio” option.

Fiverr® ToS withholds the right for Fiverr® to use any delivered work as advertisement for the platform as a whole. In my letterhead with which I submit deliveries I mention that to my clients, and that I retain the use to include my delivered work as a part of my copywriting portfolio (unless they specifically request it not to be).

Currently I have a portfolio of some of my work I’ve delivered on Fiverr® in a simple text PDF, and am working closely with a graphic designer/typographer colleague of mine to create a more aesthetically pleasing version. When a new potential buyer requests a sample, I just upload the PDF to them. They can decide then if they’d want to work with me. I hold my existing client reviews with great pride, and I uphold customer service as my primary objective. A fair amount of my clients are repeat buyers, and I view my reviews as more indicative of my ability than any sample could.

Hope that helps. To more directly respond to your post, I would NEVER produce new work for a client that hasn’t at least met me halfway by purchasing a basic Gig™… although I do offer plenty of advice and experience with anyone who messages me, for free. I treat my clients with tremendous respect and professionalism, anyone who doesn’t at least attempt to do the same with sellers they wish to work with isn’t worth the time.

It depends on the case. A buyer needed proof that a I REALLY was familiar with some specific musical terms that most of non-musician english speakers cannot properly translate (as other sellers tried and failed), so it was necessary to fit his needs.

My opinion is: have a conversation to see if they really, really need it and then proceed as you consider.

Guest hiddart

From designer’s point of view I think that buyers asking too much when they asking samples from everybody and in the end they will maybe choose one of them and award him with $4.

Archived