How Do I Keep Orders Under Control?

speedy876

I’m the one that designed that feature and kept pushing it with my account rep until it got done. I work on fiverr full time and still get more orders than I can handle, most of which are $100+. I am thrilled to have more control in place than an on/off switch. It’s saving my sanity!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know sometimes it can be tough to get your first sale!
When I started, I went daily through the client requests section and sent offers every day (5-8 per day).
You can also experiment making different gigs for the same work, with different headlines/description, to test how they rank.
Another thing is analyzing a gig headline/description from a top seller, or a seller with a lot of sales, and trying to emulate what they do (but DO NOT COPY WHAT THEY WROTE, use them as an example to present your offering better).

Good luck!

Yes, i agree with you in the most of your opinion, sometimes be late is best than to be earlier, for example i can finish an order in one day or two, but i make 4 days because sometimes i found errors with costumer server, that denny connection of some IP, and i must search for proxy to bypass firewalls, because i always deliver order as is described in gig.

Absolutely on the spot advice!

When I started, I put 24-hour delivery to get my first sales, but eventually it bit me in the arse (had to stay up laaaaate to avoid late deliveries).

Now I have 3-day minimum and 2-day extra fast delivery. This gives me enough leeway to handle a queue, and the fact that I still keep a 9-5 (well, 8-6) job on the side.

I also found that vacation mode is a life-saver, if used for 1-2 days maximum.

After 100+ orders done and delivered (I’m not a top seller, even by a long shot!) I learned that:

• It’s better to cancel an order if I can’t deliver on time or be proud of my work.

• Sometimes you can get a deadline extension from the buyer:
    Once that I got a repeat order from a recent client for a translation. They had ordered directly without a custom quote, a x20 order (10000 word translation), and the 24-hour delivery on my gig ($5) allowed them to order as much as they wanted in 24 hours for just $5 extra! And, on top of that, my queue was full!

I knew that it was impossible to deliver on time, so I offered to re-quote or cancel the order, and they graciously accepted to extend the deadline for 5 days.

• Another thing: I read and review orders on the day they come, even if I have 5-7 days to finish. Not doing that can really hurt you! If you check the order details when you have 1 day to deliver, and find out that you need some specific information from the client, or that you should quote an extra for the work they ask, you’ll end up cancelling the order (which looks bad if you do it one day before deadline) or having to work extra without being compensated.

Just my two cents,

Matias

One thing I have done when the orders pile up too fast, is deliver in stages. This has two benefits. one, I’ll deliver a part of the order before the time runs out so I don’t get hit with a late delivery and two, I am able to ask feedback from the seller so that the final product is just like he/she wants it and many times it has saved me having to redo alot of stuff. Just an idea.

Yea, this one you just mentioned helps me a whole lot when orders are piling up and delivery is close. I get to deliver in stages, and i notice that because this affords me the time to deliver quality, without taking so much time in between, my clients still love it and it works well. To your success!

Great tips. Every category is different, but I start at 4 days and add more days for gig extras. If the buyer wants it quicker they can pay $10 for 24-hour delivery.

One point no one has mentioned is that if you are getting too many orders you can always raise your prices. I have done that. I make more money, have fewer orders, and can spend the time to really do a quality job and get positive reviews.

Excellent write up, we at “Greenwriters” recently experienced a surge in the flow of orders when one of our gigs was featured.

We had to employ more hands and worked some extra hours, it wasn’t funny at all, but it was worth it.

Sellers should always put customers first, and that’s exactly what we do at greenwriters.

Regards
THE GREENWRITERS TEAM
www.fiverr.com/greenwriters

Thanks for the informative post! I don’t have this problem haha, but it’s a great post none the less! I always love reading and learning from others’ experiences, I think it’s one of the best ways to improve yourself as well. 🙂

I especially love your closing statement, “A great seller is honest not just with their customers; they’re also honest with themselves.”

Definitely very true! Honesty attracts positive results, and being honest with yourself is equally important. After all, rushing and delivering orders within a time frame you have trouble meeting is setting yourself up for failure, stress, and lower reviews.

Plus, setting the delivery time for 24 hours can potentially cause problems if the buyer doesn’t submit enough information to complete the gig and is slow at responding to you. I never thought buyers could misinterpret or leave out important information when ordering my gigs, but it does happen occasionally! And those buyers are often the ones that take 2 days to respond to you when you ask for additional info. 🙂

Anyway, thanks for the awesome post! 🙂

Great info!
I wish I knew this when I first opened my account! Perhaps if I knew all these cool tips I would have now a 100% clean feedback. I was late in delivering some orders and I did not know how to handle it.
But I’m glad that with experience and some good articles on the matter *), I’ve learnt how to keep my orders under control.
Now, my best performing gig gets tens of orders daily, (now I have more than 50, YAY!!!) but I was smart enough to set the delivery time to 9 days!!! I know, it sounds way too long for a digital portrait, but I always deliver before the time is up, sometimes even in a few hours!

As I see it there are 2 other great outcomes from setting things this way:

1. The buyer gets super excited when he gets his order way earlier than expected - and they almost alywas leave a very nice feedback.
  2. The buyer gets the option to buy an extra gig to expedite the order - which means more $$$ to me :). And it’s a win - win situation.

SO yeah - have fun and make some extra cash ! :))

Thank You. On that last point, it may come down to the gig type/category, as some categories only require the buyer to attach their document for you to work and submit the product. Some, such as research etc. may need additional inquiries as the order progresses, and so make one day delivery a little convoluted.

~Speedy876

If too many people are ordering, you have the following options.

1. Every gig extra should mean additional days for you to work. So change the 0 to 1+

2. Change the delivery time for the basic $5 gig

3. Jack up your one-day delivery fee, to the max if necessary. Keep in mind this might cost you money, but if you’re too busy you don’t want everyone demanding 24/hour service. Of course, you can keep your prices low and turn 24/hours to 2-3 days, whatever you want. The rush feature is flexible.

@fastcopywriter - Well said. On your first point, some may struggle with this depending on the order. In some cases, if it is a simple basic order (in proofreading for example), the default would most times be 24 Hours. However, this definitely comes in handy when larger orders present themselves and persons then ask for a 1 day delivery quote. Sellers can have a ball here and smile when custom orders get accepted. In this category however, changing the delivery for basic $5 gigs will eliminate the edge over the competition who practically have 24 hours across the entire board for the most basic gigs.

This in other categories should prove rather effective, so this is extremely valid in certain categories, especially logo designs per say. (Appears flooded with sellers, yet still flocked with a sea of buyers).

@microsimdiysmps - You need to click on the Help button and submit an issue to Fiverr Customer Service. Explain very detailed what happened, with specific reference to the order number and the seller’s username. They will look into it for you. Remember to follow up at least once per day with them by adding something to the ticket if they don’t respond. They will get to the bottom of it.

Regards,
Speedy876

@ladybug8 This is something we’ve noticed as well. It appears as though sometimes there’s a slow period, and In some cases, a particular day or 2 of the week that buyers come online more. Those trends can sometimes be studied if you’re keen on it, and can then be better anticipated.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Also, sometimes when other top sellers in your category go on vacation, your gig moves up the search rank, then the traffic rolls over on you. So, next time it happens, make a quick check on this as well.

Regards,
Speedy876

Archived