The main problems of buyers

dijatul

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone asks for a sample, I show them a sample of work I have completed previously for someone else. If they ask for a “trial” of my work, I tell them to buy a standard gig and I will do a small example personalized for them. Don’t do work for free!
If someone offers services in return, tell them that if you want their service, you’ll independently buy a gig from them.

The idea of samples is divisive on Fiverr!
As a seller, I hate doing them but as a buyer I sometime feel I need/want one.
The answer? I had a buyer on another freelance site requesting a 500 word sample translation (this is a very common request for large orders) on an order of 60,000 words between 3 languages. I said I would provide the sample and asked him if he could give me some references or contact details from other freelancers he had worked with.

He reacted like I had insulted his mother and went on about how I should be thankful for the opportunity to make so much money. I had decided I was not going to take on the order because of his ridiculous communication but I responded that he should be thankful for the opportunity to get the work done for less than a third of the price he would get elsewhere.

I think people should decide on sample requests individually by asking yourself these questions:
Is what they are asking reasonable when looking at the overall project?
How much time will it take you?
What is the potential reward?
Most of all, ask yourself if they are trying to scam, can they use the sample on it’s own? If your gig can find a way of making the sample useless on it’s own then do it. For example, for sample translations, I ask for the full document and I choose what part of it I will do as the sample. This means I can see that the full project is real and that by doing a small amount of the text in the middle of the document it is not really any use to them.

I know, having learned Spanish and now German on and off, I’m aware that mastering a new language is tough. You’re already doing pretty well, you’re barely making mistakes. Just remember.

"I am doing exactly what/as you suggested.“
Or
"I’m already following your suggestions.”

Not that it matters, I understood what you meant.

I won’t work before getting paid, but I’m not against showing a client something I did for someone else. That only takes a few seconds, and it might win me a client.

With that said, sometimes portfolio samples should be enough, which is why sellers might feel insulted.

“if he could give me some references or contact details from other freelancers he had worked with.”

That violates privacy issues. That’s why he felt insulted.

That’ll do it. So far I’ve been able to turn around these kinds of buyers; either by fully explaining what I offer in fair and broken down terms (in which case they never respond), or coax them into actually describing their project to me. Once they realize I can care about their work/brand then they usually have no problem placing an order. I’ve done quite a few ‘test’ Gigs for $5 with some extras for free, and they mostly turn into repeat clients.

@emmaki, as a copywriter on Fiverr® how do you respond to potential clients asking for a portfolio? The platform isn’t great for displaying ‘previews’ of writing. I’m currently working with a graphic designer/typographer friend of mind to create a visually impressive Fiverr® portfolio of my work I can send curious buyers as a PDF. I’d be interested to hear how the Top Level writers are doing it.

i feel its a very tricky situation… One of my clients who had requested for a Sample Voice for one of the game characters… i did it for him… He came back to me after 2 months… and placed an order… i was actually cursing him … but he got back and placed an order so sometimes i really get stuck and keep wondering whether shud i offer a sample if someone asks me 🙂

Thanks for your co-operation. I also Know 3 languages That I can speak fluently. but English is difficult as well for me. i am learning. But I understand clearly an English peoples talking and writings. Only I have problems of writings and speaking. but I hope , if I have English friend whom I can talk with him/her all the time. That would be perfect.But its okay

My willingness to do a sample depends on the size of the overall project, my busyness, etc
This client was not on Fiverr, the other site allows contact details to be exchanged. Asking for references or contact details is not anything to do with privacy issues, I am often asked for referees when I meet a new client and so I have permission from some people to give their email address and phone number and to use them as a referee. Obviously you can not do that on Fiverr.
From his reaction it was clear he was not happy with me asking him to prove himself, he had been talking about all the big jobs he had previously had done by others, and all the jobs he had coming up - the classic spoof - that’s why I asked for proof of these “big jobs” he had done.

I just let them know that if they want to see samples that they can look in my portfolio for each gig here on Fiverr.
When I send out an offer there is no possibility for attaching a sample.
It is as you say, trying to get free work is cheating.
And even if your English is not native, it is still very easy to understand, so as long as your messages are nice and to the point I do not see the problem.

Regards,

Maarten

Don’t waste your valuable time with those creepy buyer , stay away from them, if they message just Say big NO, never ignore them it harm your response (which i learn recently).

Tell them all of your work include in your protfoilio , they can check there, also until they hire you they can’t comment on your skill

“I am often asked for referees when I meet a new client and so I have permission from some people to give their email address and phone number and to use them as a referee.”

Exactly, and most people don’t want to give permission and even if they do, I would feel guilty with them being pestered.

I remember one time a friend was asked to fill a survey, he was so lazy he sent me the survey for me to fill it. Ironically, I didn’t get the job.

As for buyers who mention “big jobs,” big talkers rarely order, that’s why experience. Some buyers act like they’re so important, they tell you that you’ll be making $50 or more with them, then they don’t deliver.

My biggest buyers never made such promises, they bought one gig for $5 to $50, then they kept buying again and again. I have a guy who has like 10 different blogs, so he’s always in need of headlines. At first he used to pay for 1-day delivery, but now he doesn’t. I don’t care, I’m still delivering in 1-2 days, and he’s giving me 1-3 orders a week.

Archived