Disappointing responses

godessof2

I put a request in several responded with Hi Sir ! I can do this… well I responded that I am not a sir and several said "What I do not understand… " well for me customer service is everything !!! If they can’t address me or say something neutral whats the point. Maybe I expect too much from people that are performing a service even at $5. I am more than willing to work with someone then when they are somewhat close to what I want extending their services for more $$ but so far NOT so good. I have asked for a custom logo using three things yet can’t seem to get what I see in my mind. The excuse that I don’t understand english too good doesn’t work for me.

You could always just work with native English speakers if the communications are an issue for you. Buyer’s Requests is a rather low hanging fruit where new people spam all the gigs to get their first/second/whatever (not to say that nobody decent will crop up, but you’ll be sifting through a lot of crud to find the nugget). You’re better off doing a little research and contacting people whose work you like.

They should really reduce the maximum number of gigs that people can respond to in that buyer requests column. 10 doesn’t seem like a lot individually but we have 100s of sellers pitching their gigs and it gets too spammy. Having a lesser number will make people think and plan before pitching their gigs to clients.
Plus there are far too many black hat practices in there to just ‘earn’ cash. I doubt many of them even know the consequences they can have by copy-pasting stuff from the internet. Illegal templates, plagiarism, directly using stuff they aren’t supposed to use for commercial purposes and everything similar included.

A lot of the world–the majority!–doesn’t take copyright etc as seriously as the US etc does. When you can get the latest Hollywood pirated movies down the kiosk for $1 and no-one bats an eyelid, it seems normal. Not to mention that this normality is hand-in-hand with the notion that you’re helping someone local. If it’s there, and you can do it, why not?

It’s a different mentality. One of the realities of global marketplaces like Fiverr is the culture clash. While a lot of sellers will bitch about the fact that they got ripped off work after the fact, few of them stop to consider that a) they did no research b) it was incredibly cheap [and a good wage for the seller], c) what did you expect?

There are bargains to be had on Fiverr–but you need to find them. If someone would call me sir, I’d just ignore it. It’s a term of respect and does it really matter? Why get offended about someone thousands of miles away being respectful, getting your gender wrong (we have ALL made that mistake on the internet…) and providing a hopefully good service?

I mean, if they’re just crap and ripping you off, fine. Global business, US rules. But those from countries where this is a naturally known thing would do well to remember that the rules bend, twist and differ from culture to culture. Caveat emptor, as always.

Go back to OP: “The excuse that I don’t understand english too good doesn’t work for me.”–but you obviously sought out the best prices which came from non-native countries, and that leaves you in a bind…if your cut off point is hi sir, that’s probably wise. But as I said in my original response, you need to look closer to home.

I dislike being called “Sir” if it should be obvious that I’m not. With Buyer Requests, though, I’m not sure a seller could tell. You can no longer look at the buyer’s profile and a username isn’t enough to go on for me. I try to avoid it as a seller by not using gender at all, but I wouldn’t refuse to buy based on that alone.

I think that they use “sir” not realizing that it only applies to men. Whatever the reason, it would stop me from hiring that person. It’s not because I’m offended. Communication is all we have and if that’s not right chances are the rest won’t be right either. If they said Hello sir or madam, that would be ok. To start by saying to a woman “hi sir” shows something is missing from the start, something very simple and basic–a way of communicating that I am familiar with.

You did things wrong…

The first thing you needed to do is not focus on their responses, but look through their profiles (with just a click/tap on their name).

After that, when you go to a seller’s profile you can see his/her total reviews and gigs. See how his/her gigs are performing and read his/her descriptions. If they are written in good English, that means that the seller will probably have good communication skills and customer service as well.

On top of that, more importantly, you’ll be able to see seller’s portfolio and assess their skills and quality of work.

Focusing on responses that you are disappointed with, leaves you with frustration only. Especially on the “Dear Sir…” situation. You should know that buyers just see a small circle with your user name when applying for the requests… in your case the photo is too small and it is not visible that you are a female. I only saw the photo clearly after I visited your profile page. But, sellers are not able to see your profile page!

Don’t agree with this at all. 10 is a good number (it was 6 before) especially now, when Fiverr is is putting a lot of marketing efforts for the “buyer’s request” section. There are far more requests now, than before.

In the categories where I can apply for jobs, there are a lot of requests that I’m relevant for and are not spammy at all (article writing on various niches). At least 2 days every week I end up dry on offers.

I think, limit should exist on the buyer’s end. Let’s say limit the request to 30 offers. If he doesn’t like what he received, he could again un-pause the request. Just a thought.

It’s a cultural language issue. It’s not personal or meant to be disrespectful. When foeigners learn English they learn how to write letters, formal business letters. So Dear Sir is just something they learn in that context and many people may not realize the masculine and femine versions…have you ever tried to learn a new language and fully get the differences in verbs in some languages that it’s male if you do it one one, female the other way, many people get that confused when they are learning the language.

BUt if you only want someone who speaks your language then you should just look for that.

Archived