I think I spotted a gig-copy (not mine) what should I do?

nkesher

During a search for a certain gig, I found a talented seller which is a top rated seller and has lot’s of drawing on her portfolio, for simplicity let’s call her Eli

Than I found another seller (from a different country and a different continent - so I believe it’s not the same seller with a different account) he has no orders at all for his gig (N/A) so his portfolio is empty, but he has 3 samples of HIS work…Let’s call him David.

But to my surprise, I’ve checked, and all of the 3 seem as if it was copied from the portfolio of Eli the talented seller, I mean it’s exactly the same drawings!!.

First I thought that David had bought this 3 drawing from Eli and showed it as his own, but I saw that the 3 drawing was bought by 3 different buyers, non of them is David.

I heard about things like that on the forum, but it’s the first time I witness such an explicit coping.

What would you do if you were me? Should I contact one/both of them? Contact Support team? Leave it as it is?

@-)

What does customer service say about copy gigs? I don’t see how they can, would or should stop anyone from selling even the exact same thing of another seller. This is how commerce and competition works. So I am pretty curious as to how customer service responds.

For example, I create video intros and most likely use the same program that the other hundred intro creators use so it’s highly likely I could create the exact duplicate as another seller.

Same as someone doing flips advertising a logo, can we say no one else can do that? I doubt it.

There is a person who has an advertising gig on their vehicle similar to my gig, I noticed however that this person’s images they deliver with the ads on their care are definitely photoshopped, is it my duty to report them or should the buyer beware?

Reply to @newopp: I think there is nothing wrong in offering the same services, but when one just copying other seller work and present it as it’s own, is false in every way.

I’ve contacted the seller (Eli) yesterday and told her about it, so far she didn’t respond…

I decided not to contact the support at this point and let Eli deal with it.

Reply to @madmoo:

i’ll not tell lie. When i started some days back on fiverr I thought what to do? and i come up with an idea of

copying some best selling gigs. So i started with creating one similar to urs. But eventually new ideas popped in my

mind and i m working on them. (Though i want to copy many of yourS :p.

but that does not means any offense to you. Frankly i admire you as a fiverr seller and treat you as my ideal of

this platform. (i had on my list, your coffee gig, message using newspaper words, toilet paper and some more) but as

you see i did not copied them. So take it as a tribute, and keep rocking. 🙂

Also i do not intend to hurt any one’s feelings, so if you like i can delete that gig too 🙂

I understand everyone’s “feelings” but come on, I’m sure fiverr wishes to run this as a Free Enterprise, if that were not the case they would not be flourishing as they are now. There are sooooo many copies of the exact same item here.

What would this world be if only one person, company, entity were not allowed to duplicate or copy almost exactly the a product or service? That’s how we grow and we continue to improve on our product.

Again, I understand but there can’t be a monopoly on any one thing (just imagine that, especially on fiverr). That’s just my opinion. So let me now go and look at top gigs to copy. LOL 😉

Reply to @oldbittygrandma: many thanks for your feedback. I came here on Fiverr to work serious and not just as a time pass, I totally admit that in the starting that was just the thought that what to sell and copying was the easiest option i could had thought. But as the time passed and new ideas come up in mind (I’m currently working on the same) and I do not want to do something that offend others and they feel like they are being copied (That also does not feel good from INSIDE), so I m taking that Gig down and will definitely implement all your suggestions. Thanks a lot 🙂

Reply to @madmoo: As I already said that in the starting copying was the easiest option i could had thought. But as the time passed and new ideas come up in mind (I’m currently working on the same) and I do not want to do something that offend others and they feel like they are being copied and their hard work is being duplicated, (That also does not feel good from INSIDE), so I m taking that Gig down. Thanks a lot for your feedback 🙂

There does seem to be a fine line to what is called stealing or copying another’s work or idea. The fact is…I have not come across any gigs on fiverr that are unique at all except for some guy jumping out of planes holding a sign…but yet not even that is HIS idea since I’ve seen it done… way before seeing him. Letters on stone…not unique I’m sure. Decorations on coffee etc not unique either…go to any cafe and you’ll see it… tarot card readings done for 1000yrs+.

So copying to me is taking any kind of logo or having a logo that is extremely almost identical to another person or brand. Or taking an actual creation such as a piece of art, musical piece without the persons permission not ‘creating a sentence though’.

Just my 2cents worth.

Archived