Sellers CAN be Buyers too!

dannimorrison

I work full-time, do graduate school, and Fiverr gigs in the side. This leaves me very little free time. Once, when I was backed up on my own schoolwork I thought ‘Hey, I can contact another Fiverr seller who could proofread it for me.’ The fact that I’m a seller doesn’t mean I can’t be a buyer.

However, one of the sellers I contacted, instead of just saying they weren’t interested in taking the order, proceeded to send me what I took as an incredibly rude message. Saying he checked up on me and saw that I was a seller on Fiverr. That if I provided services then why couldn’t I do my own things. He thought I was hiring him to do my orders (which let’s face it, why would I pay someone more than $5, when my gigs are for $5 before Fiverr’s commision). He proceeded to tell me how he wasn’t there to do anybody’s dirty work, and that thanks but no thanks, among other things.

I’m just saying, sellers can be buyers, buyers can be sellers, and if he treats his usual costumers like that…good luck to him. I always strive to communicate to my buyers as professional and courteous as possible.

I don’t know why he got angry, there’s an advertising agency that hires me to write or translate/adapt their commercials. They pay me $5/$10, and they charge their clients $100. Do I care? I don’t, I’m getting orders, I’m making money.

Forget him, there are plenty of other sellers that will be happy to help you.

The only reason why I wouldn’t hire another freelancer is because if my client cancels, then I would feel bad about cancelling the freelancer, which means I would lose money. That’s a danger whether I hire another writer or a designer, and that system doesn’t work for someone like me, who delivers in 3-days. That works for someone who delivers in 7 to 14 days.

But other than that, I really don’t care who hires me as long as they pay my fees. Those clients that think I will be doing trademark and domain searches for $5 are insane.

Exactly, and I’m not here to be a project manager. Hiring other people requires a lot of management and organization. It’s like being a creative director who needs to show ideas for a presentation. Sure, you can come up with your own ideas, but you still need the people under you to do the work since you’re already busy with plenty of stuff. If they fail, you’re the one that looks bad.

But I wasn’t hiring another seller to do the same service I provide. It was a different project concerning my own classwork which involved formatting a style sheet for a book, but I don’t think he read through it (the instructions), he just focused on the fact that I was another seller and proceeded to assume I was hiring him to do my orders.

Either way, my point is if you’re not interested in a job, then decline it in a more professional manner.

Archived