Turning poor profiles into winning profiles

web_ninja

We’re going to look at two profiles that are based on real ones we’ve seen posted on job sites. We’ll examine each—what they’re doing right and wrong—and then show you how we would improve them.
Sample one—Jane

Headline:

Web Designer, MySQL/Javascript Developer, Client/Server Side Exp

$100/hr – Hours: 3000 – California – Last Active: Oct. 25, 2013

Profile:

I am a people person even though I started programming computers when I was still in elementary school. I have over 30 years of experience as a programmer. I know when I need to sit in front of my computer and program until the early hours of the morning, but otherwise I am fun to talk to and easy to get along with.

In green we’ve highlighted what Jane did right. She included her location as well as having over 30 years of experience. However, Jane also focused too much on the fluff and we don’t know enough about her technical abilities and skills in order to hire her. Jane also hasn’t told us what certifications or formal education she has completed, and she hasn’t mentioned any of her previous projects or clients.

Our Revision:

Headline:

Developer, Programmer & Designer with 30+ Years of Experience with PHP, MySQL & JavaScript

Profile:

I am a developer, web designer and computer programmer offering over 30 years of experience on both client and server sides. I have advanced skills in PHP, MySQL, Javascript, HTML, Jquery, Magento, and CSS to name a few. I have completed a Bachelor of Computer Science Degree and completed projects for ADI Pharmaceuticals, J-Stone Associates, and BlueLine Auto. Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss your project in detail and determine how my skills will positively contribute to your team.
Sample two—Stan

Headline:

Experienced Magento Developer

$35/hr – Hours: 450 – Sweden – Last Active: Oct. 20, 2013

Profile:

I do not have experience working with joomla and wordpress. My expertise is within Magento and other web applications. Within the last five years, I have investigated Magento internally and achieved fair results. I have passed both Magento certifications. I am available if you need to customize you store or repair unexpected Magento behaviour problems.

In green, we’ve highlighted everything Stan did right. He mentioned his country, his areas of expertise, years of experience, and qualifications. In red, we’ve highlighted areas where he took a wrong turn. You should never mention the areas in which you are not an expert, or do not have skills within. Also, never undersell yourself by saying you achieved “fair results.” Lastly, always ensure the spelling and grammar in your profile is flawless. Where Stan has written “you store,” it should say “your store.”

Our Revision:

Headline:

Magento Developer | 5 Years of Experience | Expertise in Magento & Highly Loaded Web Applications

Profile:

I am an experienced Magento Developer with 5 years of experience in investigating Magento from the inside and have achieved solid results. My qualifications include successful completion of both available Magento certifications. In previous projects I have rectified unexpected behaviour within Magento and implemented customizations for client stores, such as MB3 Cosmetics and Orion Dry Cleaners. Please contact me to discuss your project in detail and determine how my skills will be a perfect fit for your requirements.

You can also check my Fiverr Profile: https://www.fiverr.com/web_ninja

Archived