Using Licensed Fonts in Graphics

alexanderamanda

I’m planning to add more graphic design services in the future (logos, flyers etc). I’m in the homework phase of this right now.

How do you guys go about using licensed fonts? It is my understanding that if I want to use a licensed font to design a logo for someone, I must purchase the commercial license. Right? Then the customer purchasing the logo containing said licensed font still needs to purchase a separate license, yes? Or do they only need to purchase the license IF they receive the source file and continue to use the font in other ways?

Do both parties (myself and the customer) need to purchase the license?

If the seller needs to purchase a license, how do you guys go about communicating this with them? Do you discuss fonts prior to working on it? Do you ONLY use free fonts?

I thought about maybe having an image in the gig of fonts that don’t require a license, and then “premium fonts” in another image, but I think this would be a big turn-off for prospective buyers because I didn’t see other sellers showing anything like this in their gigs. I’m not even sure if this is an issue for sellers/customers outside the US, but I would think it is.

Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!!

You are right with all the points you stated, also note your not selling the font, you are selling your graphic work. What you cannot do is have a gig where you will sell the buyer the psd file and include the licensed font in that package. Hope this helps some.

Excellent question. The fact you are focusing on this is a very good thing. When it comes to fonts and licensing, if you have/purchase a font you may utilize it for your design purposes as long as its within the terms of the license itself.

Even if you go the route of free fonts, there are designers that require you to get permission from them in order to utilize the fonts for commercial use; discovered this in school. Try to educate the buyer on the license issue if a problem surfaces.

One of the sources that I’ve been utilizing to understanding fonts and rules is the fonts dot com site. As an example, I went in search of the font ITC Franklin Gothic. Right there on the page right above style samples was a tab that explained the license and how it worked.

In regards to the source file, they may have to purchase the license add on in order to use it on their device. That said, each font publisher has it’s own rules in regards to fonts and usage especially when different countries are involved. Hopefully someone can chime in?

Archived