How to hire a right person for your task [archived]

magy1808

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest foxyoxy

Communication is key!! Taking the time to message sellers about their service/product is so important. That communication is what will guarantee the quality you want.

I’m finding it disappointing so far when I send messages to sellers and do not get the right type of response. They sound like they don’t want to work, or make excuses, or say they can do a design job but don’t offer any samples or communicate much at all. I’m not sure how they expect to get any jobs.

hm, I sometimes do sample, sometimes no. Depends. as if I have in any of my online portfolio some similar design I did, something what I can show as ok look at this, I worked on it, and it is like something you need then I wont do sample. But if it is something I never did, but would like to try and buyer is communicating with me, showing me they are normal person and pleasant to work with I have no issues to do even few samples and almost every time I get a job. Now, I wont do samples without my watermark and some other things, as this is internet and it is really not good to trust everyone. Now other catch with working on samples is as well, I am not working on fiverr only, so if I don t have time for free work I just say, I am sorry, this is my portfolios, you can see my style and skills if you like it we can talk further if not find someone else.

“Before placing an order after you choose a seller, explain your task to them and ask them how would they do it.”

That’s the last thing I want, in fact, it’s a waste of time for buyers. You’re delaying your delivery! If my gig is about radio commercials, am I supposed to explain to you how much time I spend brainstorming? How I write? How long it takes me? That’s none of your business. Your business is what you pay me to do, not how I do it.

"For an example if you need ebook cover, someone can do it in 5 minutes (yup, 5 minutes) by just downloading some image from internet and putting a title on it, then someone can do it in few hours, by asking you for a book summary, reading, talking with you and on the end you get a cover you envisioned. "

Nobody’s going to do it in a few hours. I come from the advertising world, I know art directors that can design an ad is 30 minutes or less. It’s not open heart surgery, you’re not painting the Sixteen Chapel, you’re designing a book cover, that’s it. If your book is about zombies, you use zombie typography or do a white cover with blood splatter or use a zombie image, and your buyer will be happy and it will take you 15 minutes at most.

The only thing that matters is this: Do you like the work they did? If you do, hire them again. In fact, I agree with your $5 test, although I’m perfectly happy looking at portfolio samples and taking my chances with larger orders. I know that if I don’t like it, I can request a refund, although I prefer not to do that. I know how hard sellers work.

I don t really agree with you… Neither you have to agree with me. I work like that… and I like it. there is 10000 zombie books with same typography and same blood spots, why would 10001st writer about zombie books want the same look? I had actually a buyer with zombie ebook, we went with something totally different, what was more fitting his story, he loved it, payed amazing, and credited me as a designer in his book…so, why do what everyone else do? If I was a buyer and wanted just one same cover as 1000 other writers in same area have, I wouldn t hire designer, I would just download free template change title and name and upload it.

Now, there is a bunch of buyers who keep saying how sellers actually don t do what they get paid for as in they lack in skills and ability to do the task, so that’s my advice to a buyer, test skills…ask your seller stuffs, see how much do actually they know, to avoid on the end waste of time for both, where they get canceled order and refunds and wasted up to a week of time.

Then again, if I don t have brief, and can not ask my buyer stuffs about work they need to be done, how can I make for them exactly what they want? It will just go into numerous revisions, and then you get waist of time which could have been avoid right on the begging.

How will you feel when you have to refund a $40 or $50 order that took you 5-hours to create? Because it will happen, most buyers are not compassionate, they do not appreciate your time and effort. They either get what they want or demand a revision or a refund.

That is why I refuse to have long conversations with buyers before they order, and even after they order I let them know I will only communicate if I have questions. I’m here to make money, not to waste time.

I’m glad you did a great zombie book, and I hope the time you spent creating the cover was worth it. But I tell you this, creative people that are slow will end up working longer hours. I’ve seen this in the advertising world, if you’re not fast brainstorming, you will end up putting out fires during the day and having to stay after 6pm to come up with ideas for your big projects. I don’t believe in that, I believe in time management, you have a limited amount of hours, you should use them productively. If someone needs a radio commercial, I’m not going to spend 3-hours writing a bunch of them unless I have a full-time job that pays $45,000 a year or more. Even if I did, my goal is always the same, to get the job done, approved, and out of the way. I do not have fun brainstorming endlessly. The fun starts when I get an idea and execute it, writer’s block and endlessly going off tangents is not fun at all.

Ok, but see I am actually educated in field of biotechnology, I started freelancing on this because it is something I love doing, so I don t mind time spent on it. Plus I am not really a material type of person. It is not always about money. Now, I don t do refund, see I had two situations where I delivered done work without watermark and buyer just even they liked it wanted to cancel an order or leave a bad review…I am a type who just say, no I wont give you money back and you can leave the worst review ever just don t forget to attach image to it.

Way I work, for me job is not just a job I enjoy in it. And my buyers/clients (I don t use only Fiverr) are not only $ to me.

Alright, I guess you have an advantage not everyone has. For you this is a hobby, for me this is a living.

Still, I see your prices aren’t cheap. On your illustration gig, your basic package starts at $25.

By the way, I don’t think you need “for you” in this gig title:

I will design for you unique product PACKAGING 3D, 2D

It’s obvious the design is “for you,” no need to mention it. You might be better off mentioning how long it takes you to do this job.

“I will design unique product PACKAGING 3D, 2D in 7 days”

Just saying.

I usually do it 2 days first of all… Second, no I am not cheap and I don t hunt millions of small jobs… so, it is my choice to work only with people who actually like what I do and are willing to pay for that.

Second I don t really care about grammar or how I wrote something…

And third, I don t really remember I asked you for any advice.

So you can take your frustrations somewhere else, or get a muffin and relax. I am just random person on doing something on same site as you do. I don t care how you work, why is so concerning and frustrating for you how I work?

Archived