Dear New Sellers/Sellers Whose Native Language is Not English

hanashivoice

Welcome to Fiverr! I hope you find success in whatever it is you’re selling! 🙂

You may have noticed a section of the website called ‘Requests’. I know what you’re thinking: "This is my chance to request buyers to buy my gig!"

No. No it’s not.

Before you post anything, take a good look at the Requests page. If this is your first time, you’ll see instructions on how to post your request. The very first instruction is to ‘Describe the service you are searching for’. But wait! You’re here to offer services, not search for them! That’s where the ‘Buyer Requests’ page comes in.

Move your mouse over your username, click ‘Selling’ and then click ‘Buyer Requests’. (see screenshot) This is where you can offer services related to your gig! All you have to do is click the bright green button that says ‘Send an Offer’ that appears when your mouse moves over a request. You can do this up to 10 times a day!

In closing, the ‘Requests’ page is for buyers looking for a seller, not the other way around. If you offer services there, it will only be seen by other sellers, and no buyers will see your offer. Use the ‘Buyer Requests’ section instead.

I hope this clears up any confusion! Good luck!

Sincerely,

Kim (hanashivoice)

Guest moonranger

You can shout that one from the housetops.
By my count, 20% of buyer requests are sellers trying to advertise - that includes requests that are so poorly written you can’t tell what they are after.

Reply to @chellevanhoy: Laughter wins! And now the “commercial chuckle break is complete” and thanks again to @hanashivoice who is the star for having posted this valuable information. Thanks for the fun, @chellevanhoy. 😃 To anyone I may have distracted, be sure to scroll to the top post if you haven’t yet and read about using Buyer Requests correctly!

Good explanation Dear!!
I am also very disturbed whenever i see like the types of requests. Fiverr Should take step against these types of spam. we are here for doing work in great manner and professional way. But some sellers do not understand his own value. Anyways. Thanks for sharing this information to others. Good Luck!!

Reply to @decent800: That is because that is the only active request for the type of service you offer. If you offer varied services through gigs in different categories, you will see more requests. For instance, below is my requests screen for two gigs.

And, ironically, that isn’t an actual buyer request. It’s someone doing exactly what the OP is warning against doing.

ce2f959e1f26695150565c874ffe98.thumb.png.b8709bac076b333af07437da5dac6695.png

I appreciate the careful explanation and for someone to take the time to point this out rather than to continue ranting about it but I’m a bit ticked off by the assumption that this practice comes from sellers whose native language isn’t English. The title just feels arrogant and demeaning to me. “Here here, foolish bilingual sellers, come learn about Buyer Requests!”

Yes, many of the sellers doing this are from Pakistan, India and other such countries but many are also Americans and from what I’ve noticed, some of them lost the privilege of sending offers to buyer requests and are now using this annoying self-marketing tactic and some simply don’t seem to understand that spamming isn’t a good marketing strategy.

Reply to @angiepo: “New Sellers” are listed first, before Sellers whose first language is not English, which means that the post isn’t only, nor primarily, targeted to Sellers who are bilingual. Additionally, the ambiguity of the English language can be a problem for people with little or limited experience with it. “Buyer Requests” can, indeed, sound like “Requests for Buyers,” even to those who have spoken English all their lives. The approach that it may be a language barrier issue, rather than a stupidity issue, as many Sellers assume, should make you happy, not tick you off.

Also, just because someone is American doesn’t mean their first language is English.

Archived