Plagiarism on Fiverr

pdreddy

I think with nearly half of the pieces plagiarised, I’d find another writer. I’ve had two instances where work has shown up on plagiarism detectors - one was when it was the keyword phrase that the buyer wanted to use so that was easy enough to explain when sending; the second was from a website that I’d never seen, had nothing to do with the content written and was because a cliche was used in the piece so I took the cliche out (but I checked BEFORE sending to the buyer so there were no problems on that end).

Someone who’s sending 46% copied work wants to make a quick buck and has realised that they can’t get away with it. That’s not a mistake in a phrase or problems with the keyword phrase - that’s someone who can’t be bothered to write something in their own words. It’s so important for a writer to run their work through plagiarism detectors before sending - I was just having a conversation with an editor last month about how certain phrases just get stuck in your head and it’s so easy to write them without realising that you’re copying them. Those plagiarism detectors are a great way of pulling your own mistakes up before someone else does it for you.

I’m just wondering…does the profile say how long the user has been on Fiverr? I know some can be buyers for months before creating gigs but I’d be a little dubious about someone being on Fiverr for a year or more with a gig that hasn’t been rated at all and there are no orders in the queue.

I think with nearly half of the pieces plagiarised, I’d find another writer. I’ve had two instances where work has shown up on plagiarism detectors - one was when it was the keyword phrase that the buyer wanted to use so that was easy enough to explain when sending; the second was from a website that I’d never seen, had nothing to do with the content written and was because a cliche was used in the piece so I took the cliche out (but I checked BEFORE sending to the buyer so there were no problems on that end).

Someone who’s sending 46% copied work wants to make a quick buck and has realised that they can’t get away with it. That’s not a mistake in a phrase or problems with the keyword phrase - that’s someone who can’t be bothered to write something in their own words. It’s so important for a writer to run their work through plagiarism detectors before sending - I was just having a conversation with an editor last month about how certain phrases just get stuck in your head and it’s so easy to write them without realising that you’re copying them. Those plagiarism detectors are a great way of pulling your own mistakes up before someone else does it for you.

I’m just wondering…does the profile say how long the user has been on Fiverr? I know some can be buyers for months before creating gigs but I’d be a little dubious about someone being on Fiverr for a year or more with a gig that hasn’t been rated at all and there are no orders in the queue.

Reply to @vedmak: Well that’s your choice to disagree. I also make a living writing and have done for three years now - and a very good living at that. I was talking to a professional editor and she was the one who said how writers can get a set phrase in their head without realising. This doesn’t have to be a phrase that they’ve read recently - it could be a phrase that they’ve heard in passing and use it. And, I’m sorry, but if you’ve written thousands of articles, eventually you will start using similar phrases without realising - there are only so many ways that you can say the same sentence. There is an element of human error and nobody is perfect - even though you seem to make yourself out to be so well done you. This human error element is why I run everything through plagiarism detectors before sending to ensure there’s no problems - and I’ve only ever come up with the too problems I’ve started on one occasion each (and there really is very little I can do about keyword phrases chosen by the buyer).

As for the good sellers having 0 orders in their queue - I never have 0 orders. Fiverr is a part time thing, so my lead times are longer and I’m likely to never get to the end of a queue by the end of the day. By the time I get to the bottom of my queue, I have new orders that have come in. It’s not that I’m showing off - I want to give the best possible work and I can’t do that if I’m rushing pieces within 10 minutes just to get my queue to empty - it’s about quality not quantity. You also don’t take into account if some people have eight orders in one - something that the Fiverr system fails to calculate.

Reply to @vedmak: Well that’s your choice to disagree. I also make a living writing and have done for three years now - and a very good living at that. I was talking to a professional editor and she was the one who said how writers can get a set phrase in their head without realising. This doesn’t have to be a phrase that they’ve read recently - it could be a phrase that they’ve heard in passing and use it. And, I’m sorry, but if you’ve written thousands of articles, eventually you will start using similar phrases without realising - there are only so many ways that you can say the same sentence. There is an element of human error and nobody is perfect - even though you seem to make yourself out to be so well done you. This human error element is why I run everything through plagiarism detectors before sending to ensure there’s no problems - and I’ve only ever come up with the too problems I’ve started on one occasion each (and there really is very little I can do about keyword phrases chosen by the buyer).

As for the good sellers having 0 orders in their queue - I never have 0 orders. Fiverr is a part time thing, so my lead times are longer and I’m likely to never get to the end of a queue by the end of the day. By the time I get to the bottom of my queue, I have new orders that have come in. It’s not that I’m showing off - I want to give the best possible work and I can’t do that if I’m rushing pieces within 10 minutes just to get my queue to empty - it’s about quality not quantity. You also don’t take into account if some people have eight orders in one - something that the Fiverr system fails to calculate.

Reply to @vedmak: I’ve suffered from burnout in the past and this isn’t it - and yes, taking a break is something I offer a lot of people. Got a holiday scheduled for June though, thank you very much 🙂 But, I’m talking about phrases such as “one of the best…” and other popular phrases that I’ve found buyers want included in pieces. Copyscape can come up with these four word phrases as plagiarism.

I reckon the more writers you talk to burnout and writer’s block does happen to them. Some don’t find it affects them that much - they need to get a drink or just walk away from the computer for five minutes - while others find it affects them for days. I think you’re the first writer I’ve ever spoken to who has openly said that nothing like that has affected them. Check you out, Mr. Awesome 😉

I’m not talking about the density of the phrase, I’m talking about the phrase itself. Jeez, 10% is way too high for keywords - any good writer would know that, especially one that was around when Google Panda hit! Between 1% and 2% is great. But, no, I’m talking about the phrase.

Even topics that I like I wouldn’t rush in 5-10 minutes. I have a typing speed of about 95-100 words per minute but what about proofreading and backing up facts (if buyers request them, of course) or researching bits that could make it a little more interesting? Once I get on a roll with a topic and don’t need to do any extra research, 10 minutes per 300-500 words is fine but you can’t be an expert at everything 😉

I’m not too selective - although I won’t do fake reviews or homework assignments. I’ve had a look at your gig - you’ve got a couple of errors that you might want to fix 😉

Reply to @vedmak: I’ve suffered from burnout in the past and this isn’t it - and yes, taking a break is something I offer a lot of people. Got a holiday scheduled for June though, thank you very much 🙂 But, I’m talking about phrases such as “one of the best…” and other popular phrases that I’ve found buyers want included in pieces. Copyscape can come up with these four word phrases as plagiarism.

I reckon the more writers you talk to burnout and writer’s block does happen to them. Some don’t find it affects them that much - they need to get a drink or just walk away from the computer for five minutes - while others find it affects them for days. I think you’re the first writer I’ve ever spoken to who has openly said that nothing like that has affected them. Check you out, Mr. Awesome 😉

I’m not talking about the density of the phrase, I’m talking about the phrase itself. Jeez, 10% is way too high for keywords - any good writer would know that, especially one that was around when Google Panda hit! Between 1% and 2% is great. But, no, I’m talking about the phrase.

Even topics that I like I wouldn’t rush in 5-10 minutes. I have a typing speed of about 95-100 words per minute but what about proofreading and backing up facts (if buyers request them, of course) or researching bits that could make it a little more interesting? Once I get on a roll with a topic and don’t need to do any extra research, 10 minutes per 300-500 words is fine but you can’t be an expert at everything 😉

I’m not too selective - although I won’t do fake reviews or homework assignments. I’ve had a look at your gig - you’ve got a couple of errors that you might want to fix 😉

Reply to @vedmak: I’ve messaged you about the one glaring error I saw.

I don’t spend an hour but I also won’t rush for 10 minutes work.

Word101: It doesn’t pick up everything, so you still need to proofread afterwards to make sure you’ve caught everything. It’s gotten better over the years at picking up problems but doesn’t find everything.

But, if you haven’t had any problems then great but I know little mistakes can slip through - nobody’s perfect even though they want to be.

Reply to @vedmak: I’ve messaged you about the one glaring error I saw.

I don’t spend an hour but I also won’t rush for 10 minutes work.

Word101: It doesn’t pick up everything, so you still need to proofread afterwards to make sure you’ve caught everything. It’s gotten better over the years at picking up problems but doesn’t find everything.

But, if you haven’t had any problems then great but I know little mistakes can slip through - nobody’s perfect even though they want to be.

I don’t like that this happens here on Fiverr as I feel that experiences such as this puts a bad taste in buyers mouths. Fortunately this would be a great opportunity to warn other buyers of this seller through the feedback system. This way you will be the last person that this happens to (at least from this seller). On a side note, I write original expert review articles for various topics up to 500 words. I would be honored to pick up your order if you still have not found someone to do the job right.

I don’t like that this happens here on Fiverr as I feel that experiences such as this puts a bad taste in buyers mouths. Fortunately this would be a great opportunity to warn other buyers of this seller through the feedback system. This way you will be the last person that this happens to (at least from this seller). On a side note, I write original expert review articles for various topics up to 500 words. I would be honored to pick up your order if you still have not found someone to do the job right.

Archived