Ten Tips from a New Level Two (With Added Tips for Non-Native English Speakers)

chellevanhoy

Hi there, fellow Fiverr Sellers!

My name is Michelle VanHoy, or chellevanhoy if you like, and I am a Seller here on Fiverr in the Writing and Translation category. I recently received Level 2 status after 60 days, and I’d like to share with you my experience and what has worked for me. As always, you can take it or leave it, but these tips have enabled me to build a business here on Fiverr that provides a steady source of income for my family.

Tip 1: Be Patient.

The importance of this often-repeated tip cannot be overstated. It really does take time to build a business here on Fiverr, and as a new Seller, you have distinct advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is that you get priority placement in Search for a time. The disadvantage is that this means competing directly with more experienced Sellers. Do some research in your category and find out what seems to work and what doesn’t. Tweak gigs that aren’t selling, or delete them and start fresh.

Tip 2: Make Your Gigs Shine!

Another regular piece of advice, this one also rings true. Take your time when setting up your gigs. Find a way to set yourself apart from the crowd. DO NOT COPY ANYONE’S GIG. Originality is the key to success, which also means using creative, original images rather than stock photos for your Gigs. It may take a while to determine what does and does not work for you. (See Tip 1) Use proper grammar and spelling, and, if necessary, hire someone to look over your Gigs and provide an editing service. If you don’t want to pay for it, you can always ask someone here in the Forum to give you advice on an individual Gig, and you might get lucky enough that someone will do it for free. (If you are a new Seller, and have been on Fiverr for less than a month, message me privately and I will do this for you, free of charge, when I have extra time.)

Tip 3: DO NOT SPAM

Spamming leaves a bad taste in the mouth of everyone who sees it. Whether it’s on the Forum or via messaging, do not spam. In the same token, do not provide spammy services or perform scams, because it will forever follow you. It’s sort of like school, it goes on your permanent record.

Tip 4: Follow the Rules.

This goes along with Tip 3. It doesn’t do you any favors to violate the T.O.S. and get your account banned. Things that will get you in trouble include: trying to bypass the Fiverr messaging system, trying to bypass the Fiverr payment system, using abusive or threatening language against other users, and spamming or scamming in any way. These aren’t the only ways to get in trouble, but they are the fastest. For more information, read the Terms of Service for Fiverr if you haven’t already. (You should have before you checked the box, though.)

Tip 5: Don’t Be Afraid to Say No.

As a new Seller, it is tempting to accept every project that someone asks you about. However, if you don’t feel you can deliver or the buyer isn’t willing to pay you what you are worth, do not be afraid to politely decline the request. If they order anyway, you may request to cancel the order. It is far better to miss out on a job than deliver less than stellar work and receive a poor review. Do not promise something that you cannot deliver, because it will hurt you in the end.

Tip 6: Stay on Top of Messages.

Not responding to your messages in a timely manner can result in a drop in orders. This is because it communicates to potential Buyers that you do not care about customer service. Respond to your messages as quickly as you can to make a good first impression.

Tip 7: Be Clear.

If you offer X and Y, but not Z, state that in your description very clearly. If you do offer Z, but it costs extra, make sure you state that clearly too. If you have optional included services, use the new “Multiple Answer” form to make sure you’re getting all the information you need for your Gigs. Again, do not advertise something that you cannot deliver or intentionally mislead Buyers.

Tip 8: Communicate.

If you are having trouble, or you are unclear on what is expected of you, communicate with your Buyer. Keep all communications friendly and professional, and make sure to write clearly to avoid misunderstandings. Do not patronize your customers or use offensive or demeaning language, as this will reflect poorly on you as a Seller.

Tip 9: Go Above and Beyond.

There are a lot of tips that mention over-delivering in the early days, and they are correct. However, you should over-deliver whenever you can, as it will build better relationships with your Buyers and a better reputation for your business. Provide your Buyers with outstanding service, and they will keep coming back. If there is a misunderstanding on your part, own up to it and fix it. Without Buyers, you have no business, so treat them as you would want to be treated.

Tip 10: Have Fun!

If you don’t enjoy what you do on Fiverr, there is no point in doing it. Showcase skills you are good at, especially in niches, and do something you love to do and want to share with others. If you have a variety of skills, offer a variety of Gigs.

As I said in the beginning of this post, these are just the things that worked for me. They may or may not work for you, and you may need more or different advice than the tips listed above. There are tons of other threads with tips in this Forum, and they all have a different spin on what you need to do to be successful on Fiverr. If you need more help, browse or search the Forum for tips and advice, you will find the help you need. If you have a specific account-related question, try Customer Service.

I would also like to offer some advice to non-native English speakers, specifically.

If you want to post your Gigs in English, I would suggest writing them in your native language first, then paying someone to translate them. It is sometimes very difficult, even for native speakers, to grasp the nuances of the English language, and it is an extremely difficult language to learn later in life because of the fluidity of the language and it’s rules.

For instance, Tip 3 is a warning against spamming. This includes posting Gigs in the “Buyer Requests” section. I was thinking about it, though, and the phrase “Buyer Requests” does sound a little like “Requests for Buyers,” which can be misinterpreted as a space to ask people to buy your Gig. In fact, it is a place for Buyers to request a Gig from the Seller community, which is why you receive gig offers in response.

In short, please ask someone for help if your English is not fluent enough to be effective. It is much better to ask for help than to give the impression that you do not care about the quality of the work you deliver, which is what comes through if your Gigs are full of errors.

If you would prefer to better your English skills, whether you are a native or non-native speaker, the following are some places where you can either test your skills, practice your skills, or learn English (or another language) online, for free.

English Proficiency Tests - http://www.ef.edu/tests/tests/epis/

English Practice - http://englishgrammar101.com/

Learn English - http://www.duolingo.com

These sites will help you learn the English language and fine tune your skills, so that you are better able to communicate here on Fiverr. There are, of course, more. You can find them by using a search engine, but these are my favorites and the ones I recommend.

http://media.ef.com/sitecore/__/~/media/universal/logo/2015/black/00.png

All Programs | EF United States

http://www.ef.edu

Archived