How To Attract The BEST Buyers, Reduce Modifications, & Get UNIQUE Reviews

thusie

Hey again, it’s me, Steven.

If you haven’t read some of my Tips for Sellers yet, crawl out of the hole you’ve been hiding in immediately and start taking your work seriously.

I wanted to write this today after listening to episode 3 of the Fiverr podcast. I felt like what was mentioned was great, but I also felt like a lot of the issues they were addressing could be prevented.

How To Attract The BEST Buyers

If you’ve sold a few gigs, you already know what your BEST buyer looks like. They’re the person that you wish everyone else was like. They leave great reviews, they’re incredibly happy with everything you deliver, and you’ve communicated and connected perfectly. I like to call these “LAY DOWNS” because it seems like no matter what you do, they’re happy. You want to see more of these buyers in your queue right? Here’s how to get them.

1 - Learn more about them. If your gig isn’t centered around something that you are passionate about, you’re going to have a hard time doing this. Reason being, when you’re offering a service that you really care about, chances are that you used to be someone SEEKING that service. You know exactly what they want, how they want it, and can communicate with them in a way they relate to.

2 - Define what makes your BEST buyer. To all of us, it’s a buyer who spends more money, knows the amount of time you invest, and is clear on instruction. These buyers tend to do a lot of sifting through gigs to find something that is really geared toward what they want. They come well prepared and often believe that they get what they pay for. The best way to attract them is to define them and appeal to all of the elements that they desire.

3 - Show off the relationships you’ve built. Most of the time this is accomplished through reviews. That’s why it’s SO important to respond to every review uniquely and not with a standard two word sentence. When you show that you care about the people you’re helping and not just your reputation, you will earn their trust and business.

How To Reduce Modifications

If you’re like me, you hate seeing requests for modifications. It means you either didn’t understand exactly what they want, the buyer wasn’t well prepared, or some communication was missing. Either way, here are some helpful tips to eliminate this issue.

1 - Make sure the instructions are flawlessly clear. Early this week, I had a buyer who wanted me to write something that was in a somewhat complex field. Now, I have no experience in this field, so I wasn’t able to understand exactly what the buyer was looking for. So what did I do? I said, “What are you looking for and what are you trying to accomplish with this?” When you can better understand what your buyer REALLY wants, the instructions have this way making sense all of a sudden. I like to pretend I just learned a new language or something :).

2 - Think deeply about your gig requirements. What I mean is, think back to the last time you had a flawless order and pinpoint exactly what it is that made it so great. Frequently update your gig requirements to reflect this perfection.

How To Get UNIQUE Reviews

If you want to know exactly what I’m talking about, take a look at the reviews I’ve received here: https://www.fiverr.com/thusie/write-an-audience-specific-engaging-article?extras=13963049

How many times have you come across “Outstanding Experience” and thought to yourself, “If it was really outstanding, wouldn’t they have said a few more words about it?” If you’re like me… ALL THE TIME. Here’s a few tips that will help your reviews stand out in the ‘experience’ waters.

1 - Build a relationship. Even when you know that your buyer is there for a one time purchase, take the time to ask relevant questions that relate to them on a personal level. One ice breaker I like to use is, "So I’m telling a friend about your order and they keep asking me who username is. Is there another name I can call you? I’m yourname. This creates a real sense of exposure and plants a ‘relationship seed’.

2 - Show confidence in your work. When I deliver something, I also send a short note that says how I’ve met and EXCEEDED the expectations they had. I tell them I know that they will be happy with it and even tell a short story about my journey through their order. It gives them proof that they aren’t just another generated product.

3 - Display YOUR personality. There’s a fine line between professionalism and the ‘fun you’. When you find that line, LIVE ON IT. Seriously, you’ll be able to communicate flawlessly and create a passionate energy between you and the buyer. Enthusiasm is contagious, hence the name “thusie”. 🙂

Before commenting below, I ask that you think about what you just read. Engagement and interaction is not accomplished through short, standard sentences like, “Good Tips.” Please, share your experiences, thoughts, and questions.

Thanks again!

Steven

I agree with everything you said except I don’t think the same when I see “Outstanding Experience” When you’re much more successful and busy, you won’t have time to respond to every request in a unique way, much less write the “adventure” you’ve had with a buyer. I know I’ve seen people with over 300 orders in queue and a lot of deliveries per day. Doubt they have the time to think of reviews that appeal to they buyer. Also, some buyers also don’t really care about it, if they’ve had a good experience, they leave a good review. Comments are not necessary.

I think writing a big review is more for new buyers who need to do it to try and get the buyer to come again. If you say stuff like “Best buyer ever, etc etc, I’d love to work with you again!” you probably hope they will come again and it may affect the buyer at some level. We need to get as many reviews as possible at the beginning after all 🙂

I feel like I’m doing pretty well with most of those tips. Although I could probably work a bit more on responding to reviews more uniquely. I feel doing the “relationship building” point would help with that.

The issue I have with the building a relationship point though, is I rarely have time for chit chat. When people contact me before a gig to ask questions and see if I’m a good fit, there’s much more opportunity for some “relationship building”. Most times, somebody orders a gig, I give a quick friendly confirmation message, and then deliver the order later that day. I’m always friendly, conversational and professional. However, there’s just not enough time to get “personal”.

I’m doing great though when it comes to receiving unique reviews. So that makes me feel like I’m doing some things right. 🙂

@zeromark I see your point and it’s definitely a valid one. Maybe buyers look at things differently depending on what service they’re seeking?

Are you a buyer yourself?

Also, I know that when I am seeking to purchase, I DO look at the reviews to determine if the seller builds relationship, cares enough to reply to everyone (not just negative reviews), or even shares unique experiences.

You see, it only takes about 20 seconds to leave a caring review that is going to deliver such a GREAT message.

Reply to @talethia: I think you’re reviews look great! They also give me a feel for your personality.

Like you, I’m a busy person and can rarely find the time to chit chat. So I make sure to cover several topics in each message and have some short scripts that I use when I need information.

For example, when I ask for a buyer’s name, it’s in a message that goes out to everyone who has ordered, but it’s personal.

I’ll review quickly the details they’ve provided and determine if I need anything else. I’ll throw in some genuine questions about what they’re ultimately trying to accomplish to determine how I can best fulfill their needs.

These generally aren’t long conversations at all and maybe take up 5 minutes of my time.

The way I have it worked out is: It takes me an average of 5 minutes to extract information and build a relationship, 5 minutes of research, and 10 minutes to write an article of 300-400 words. So I’m spending 20 minutes per $5 client.

Of course I make a higher hourly when extras are ordered. For example, when someone wants 1,200 words they spend $25 and I spend a total of about 45 minutes producing.

Reply to @talethia: I’m with you there!

The problem is a lot of people ordering content don’t understand what you’re really asking there.

The way I word it is, “What do you want this article to do? Sell? Promote? Generate Leads? etc.”

I try to give them options and most of the time they get it then 🙂

Reply to @thusie: Yes, I am a buyer as well and I personally don’t look for building a relationship when I pick a buyer. I instead look at the portfolio of the seller and his perspective on his work depending on the description. It’s not hard to make a fake account/s and get the relationship building experience exchange comments.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m always kind and open to anyone who messages me, it’s just that I don’t pick a buyer depending on their reply on reviews. I rather see the other buyers’ reviews to see if they’re satisfied or not.

If you have 50 deliveries to make on a single day (not likely for newbies, but it’s very possible for graphic designers etc) you most certainly don’t have 20 seconds (it probably takes more really) to leave a GREAT message to all of the reviews, especially because you have more orders you want to focus on and a real life to get back to.

Also, I personally agree with building a relationship with your clients. Of course if you tell them they are the best buyer you’ve ever had, they’re more likely to come again than if you had put a simple “Outstanding Experience!”. I just think that when you get really busy, you won’t have the time.

I very much agree with you views and the points you dropped, i am still very much new here to know very much how things are done here, but from my experience in business, I know that one of the good principle of a seller is to know you buyer and dress them the rightful way the would want to be addressed

thanks for you points and suggestions and I will have them and also use them, as I continue to wait for my first order, have replied some buyer request, won’t mind if some can explain to me why my Gig is still yet to be approved…for over 3 days now, Is it because of my location in Africa, or are there some other things I need do…

Thanks for your contribution to the forum. I have read your other threads as well, and find everything super useful.

thusie said: Make sure the instructions are flawlessly clear
As you have mentioned, it is super important to fully understand your buyers project. Fiverr recently introduced an additional section for sellers and their gig requirements. To all the great sellers out there, make sure to include a detailed description on what you will need from your buyer in order to make the order process as smooth as possible.

Archived