Asking for discounts

zeus777

Every now and then I have people asking for discounts or deals.

They say they will buy multiple gigs, but would like to get a discount in return. Usually I say no since even though they might get a discount, I still have to do the same amount of work, plus it is unfair for the buyers who are willing to pay the full amount. I do make exceptions every now and then, but still it is pretty rare.

The other day I was asked by a buyer if I was willing to do a $200~$250 gig for $100.

I’ve had people ask me if they can get $5~$10 off, but wow, $100 off is a lot to ask for.

Even though he/she would pay $100, in the end what I will get is $80.

I am not going to do a $200 worth gig for $80.

So I said no. I did say it politely.

Have any of you guys been asked to give away a huge discount?

Did any of you decide to say yes?

I am quite curious. 😛

Hey there! Sometime we get messages with “offers”. Someone might say “I have a lot of work available and I’m looking for the best deal on fiverr.” I feel that all of our services on fiverr are most likely already offered at an extreme discount. Many of these messages I either politely decline, or do not even respond to.

I have provided certain discounts in other scenarios though. If I have a frequent buyer that orders quite a bit, sometimes i will even offer a freebie or discount. Recently, I had a regular buyer that had a business change and needed some previous work redone. Since they wanted the same product, but with a different company name, I told them not to worry about buying another gig and that I would just complete the update and deliver through an inbox message.

To me, a small order as a freebie is worth the customer satisfaction to keep them coming back.

On the other hand, if I don’t know you or you haven’t done previous business with me, no discounts are usually provided.

One exception is when they inbox me with a suggested order. If someone messages me saying they have a 1,000 word voiceover they need and want to know what it would cost, I would take my usual pricing, @ 200 words per $5, and possibly price it at $20 instead of the straight price of $25. This is more of a volume discount and I provide these if the buyer asks properly. If they just demand the “best” price, then I don’t play that game.

Again, on fiverr, most sellers already provide exceptional service at a heavily discounted price from the real world market, so I sort of feel that our buyers should understand and respect that.

Reply to @jive_a_five: I totally agree with what you said. Most of the things sold on here are already heavily discounted from the real world market. I think it’s silly that some buyers ask for discounts. At that point, it just seems like they are trying to take advantage of you. This isn’t the type of website where buyers should haggle. Either accept the price or move on. That being said, I’ve still given discounts to people but it was because I offered, not because they asked.

Lol, I had someone purchase my gig, then send me a private message telling me that he was a very well known man in his community and he would like my gig extras, including my ‘extra fast’ (and done within an hour) for free to ‘test’ how good I am and if I am good enough, he will advertise me in his community in exchange for free readings whenever he would like. -_- Spare me.

Its not worth it zeus… especially since fiverr takes 20% of that from you!

Thank you everyone for your comments.

A little update, I told him nicely that I cannot work on it,

and then me messages me again saying something like if I accept it I will have 15 more

gigs coming up, $100 for each gig. He didn’t say how much work is needed for each gig, though. Now it’s starting to sound fishy…

Should I just ignore this person, or report him??? Or tell him once again that I cannot work on it???

So he really is determined to pay you just $100! I would politely decline again, including what you would be willing to accept for the previous $200-$250 gig. $175, perhaps? Discounts for large volumes is not unheard of but a 60% discount on a single order is bizarre!

I sometimes get people offering me that they are resellers and will get me orders but want discounts/free extras. I usually do it but probably cause I’m new here and not many orders are coming. Later, I doubt I’ll be able to do so much charity roll eyes

In my experience every buyer that stated they would place multiple orders and send a lot of work my way for a discount or bonuses, I have never heard from again.

But the quiet ones who don’t say boo, order repeatedly.

Stick to your guns Zeus.

I assume that there are just as many buyers from areas with very low costs of living as there are sellers. So if a person can usually get a product or service for $5 they’re going to ask for a discount (or be just a disrespectful) the same as a person who normally has to pay $500 dollars for the same thing.

I’m just saying cost is relative - just because $5 is incredibly cheap to you doesn’t mean it’s incredibly cheap to them. And there will always be someone who is desperate enough to give the discount or provide the work for free as a “sample”.

Good morning people,

thank you for the additional comments.

Last night I sent him another message telling him that I am not willing to

work on the gig, and yes, I was polite.

So far, I haven’t heard from the buyer. Well at this point I don’t really care

whether I hear from him or not. 😛

It’s true that some people are willing to do it for a lower price, if I was a

newbie, I might have done it, I do give deals every now and then even though it is rare, plus a few years ago I have done the "free sample"

thingy, which I do believe was a mistake when I think about it now.

OK, time to get back to work, I have a few gigs I need to work on.

have a great weekend everyone! 😃

Archived