Don't call people "DEAR."

zeus777

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest forsirius

Dear fellow Fiverrites,

From the preceeding, I guess that it’s no longer OK to address someone as Dear (insert addressee’s name or title) when corresponding as has been the case for my entire life.

Actually, I think this is the heart of the problem.

It is of course correct to say Dear Sir, or Dear Rick, when opening a letter or email, even if the recipient is a stranger or business associate.

I think what gets lost in translation is that non english speakers turn “Dear Sir” into “Hi Dear”…This is probably in the same manual that tells them to use a picture of Taylor Swift as their profile pic.

This is probably in the same manual that tells them to use a picture of Taylor Swift as their profile pic.

laughing.jpg.bc825d571f9ab1f072e4c69c0c086800.jpg

How about “Snowflake”?

Seriously, it “ruined your morning” to be called Dear? I recognize it as a non-native English speaker, an older person, or someone from the South. It’s not a big deal. Fiverr is supposed to be a community. When someone refers to me as Dear, My Sister, Honorable Mother, or any other non-US-traditional greeting, it just shows me that they’re not from here.

Oddly, Snowflake is OK.😅

Not sure why.

To be honest I can’t really explain why, but the word dear just rubs me the wrong way.

Getting those “please help me” messages was bad enough, the “dear” is what made it worse, seriously!! Is it a big deal? Nope. But for some reason, it just…didn’t work for me.

Me being a non native speaker myself I get that it is a language barrier thing, but again

since this is a business platform I get bothered by it.

I guess it’s simply my Fiverr pet peeve.

Guest forsirius

I sometimes get ones that start with: “Hello pretty lady” and that about has the same effect. 😑

I sometimes get ones that start with: “Hello pretty lady”

Oh wow, these people must be forgetting they’re not on a dating site as that would be common on a site like that. I, too, would feel that’s unprofessional.

Archived