Don't call people "DEAR."

zeus777

Every time I get a message with “Hello Dear”, I always tell them as nicely as I can that it is inappropriate and they shouldn’t use it.

In most cases I get the reply “OK sorry.”

In other cases I get “OK dear.”

Sigh…

Starting the message with Dear Mr so-and-so is OK, but Hello dear is not.

I really wish I could explain it more clearly to people because I’m sure they mean no harm.

YET STILL I cringe every time I get a message with someone calling me dear.

Double sigh…

Feel sorry for that . Maybe we need to emphasize things like this in our language education. Like custom learning or cultural learing? Just do not take it personally~ 😅

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve never had anyone who called me dear become an actual buyer aside from possibly one. They usually want something, at least in my experience. And I can’t help but think it is meant to be condescending, but that might be my American background.

They usually want something, at least in my experience.

Same here. They call me “dear” or “bro”, and try to convince me to lower my prices.

Not to mention that a man calling a woman who doesn’t know him “dear” is creepy.

I’ve never had anyone who called me dear become an actual buyer aside from possibly one. They usually want something, at least in my experience. And I can’t help but think it is meant to be condescending, but that might be my American background.

but that might be my American background.

That’s another point. It depends on your background/region. Just like someone greeting you “Good morning” when actually, you are about to sleep.

In essence, we may not often find it’s usage among native English speakers!

So I usually also call the buyer by their name if given otherwise using ‘Mate’,what are your thoughts on that?

So I usually also call the buyer by their name if given otherwise using ‘Mate’,what are your thoughts on that?

The same thoughts as calling the people you don’t know “buddy” or “bro”. Some will perceive it as extremely rude.

The word ‘dear’ in their native language might mean something totally acceptable and normal, maybe?

Just my

Cheers.

The word ‘dear’ in their native language might mean something totally acceptable and normal, maybe?

Calling the one who hires them to do a certain job ‘dear’ is acceptable in their culture? Perhaps it is, but if they lose customers on Fiverr because they call them ‘dear’, it might be a good idea to stop doing that.

The same thoughts as calling the people you don’t know “buddy” or “bro”. Some will perceive it as extremely rude.

I usually do it as a symbol of respect because someone initially called me this and it doesn’t come off to me as rude. 🙂

Guest offlinehelpers

I usually do it as a symbol of respect because someone initially called me this and it doesn’t come off to me as rude. 🙂

Just stick to the username - it makes it so much easier for everybody.

For example - ‘Good morning username’ etc. - not too formal, not too informal, with the advantage that they can work out if your actual time matches your time zone - win win!

No mate, no dear, just username. ☀️

Thank you SO much for this post. My Granny called me dear and it was nice. If another buyer or seller calls me that, it’s weird. I don’t care for Sir but I agree that it is an attempt at professionalism. Another one that turns me off fast is “bro.” I’m not anyone’s brother, bro, or especially brah.

Thank you SO much for this post. My Granny called me dear and it was nice. If another buyer or seller calls me that, it’s weird. I don’t care for Sir but I agree that it is an attempt at professionalism. Another one that turns me off fast is “bro.” I’m not anyone’s brother, bro, or especially brah.

You are right @fonthaunt, I were making the same mistake till yesterday when one of my friend come to me and saw why I am not getting orders, He told me that you are making some mistakes, And gave me some useful tips. He is a top rated seller at fiver. One of the mistakes were same you explained above, which I quoted above.

Well, I agree with you BUT I guess there is a lot of people in Fiverr which English isn’t their native language and they don’t know if they should use “Dear, Friend… etc” and maybe they don’t know when exactly to use it, however I totally agree that there is people they just know and we keep tilling them not to do but even that they just do.

Anyhow in the end it’s your own preference because for me it’s okay if someone called me “Friend” maybe because I don’t have friends 😶 but I really HATE when people call me “dear” is like “I’m Human Not Animal” joking 😆

How about “Snowflake”?

Seriously, it “ruined your morning” to be called Dear? I recognize it as a non-native English speaker, an older person, or someone from the South. It’s not a big deal. Fiverr is supposed to be a community. When someone refers to me as Dear, My Sister, Honorable Mother, or any other non-US-traditional greeting, it just shows me that they’re not from here.

For example - ‘Good morning username’ etc. - not too formal, not too informal, with the advantage that they can work out if your actual time matches your time zone - win win!

Guest offlinehelpers

That’s why I said:

For example - ‘Good morning username’ etc

😉

Archived