New buyer to fiverr tips - testing

lana10

Buying on fiverr for the first time can be quite the mind-boggling mental trip–it is easier than you think.

I remember 3 years ago when I stumbled upon fiverr.com, I’d say by the work of fate. I found a world of ‘cheap services’ I was sceptical. But, upon further research I learned that it depended on who I chose and how I chose them.

Here is how to choose:

1. Do a test run - buy a service as a test, this will allow you to discern whether you want to use that seller depending on the duration of your task.

2. Look at their rating - I have learned to use this as guideline, people tend to buy with a ‘monkey see monkey do’ kind of mentality. What I mean by this is-- you can fall into the trap of purchasing simply because of the hundreds of positive reviews a seller has. I have been burned by this so I can tell you that hundreds of positive ratings does not equate to good quality, again… TEST.

3. Use your intuition - your intuition may surprise you. I can tell you that it is possible to find great quality sellers who are new to the scene, has sold gigs but has no reviews. I recommend testing again.

My best advice is TEST, be prepared to test whomever you plan to use regardless of reviews. Granted, there are some skills which are repetitive such as installing WordPress onto a website. But for services such as writing, SEO, traffic generation and others it is best to test.

Lana10 - content writer

top rated seller may give good quality and the price is high such as the badge he got, cause he do the best to archive this badge, he can do high price as he want to.

the new seller have to do lower price to get good rating and attract buyer use their service.

it’s quite balance to chose which one, but if luckly enough, you can get good quality with new seller in a really cheap price though :). As you say, it worth a test :), i would love to give new seller a change the prove themself 🙂

Hi dusuacangmon,

Thank you for your comment you are correct about them charging what they want, I respect them for reaching where they are. But as a buyer, I can say from past experience that I have used services which were/are highly rated but has done nothing for me.

After giving them time to work, only to come to the realisation that my time had been wasted. The ratings help to minimise the risks not remove them, which is expected.

Despite being burned in the past, fiverr is my go-to place to find skilled people and I always recommend it to my friends. 🙂

Lana10 - Content Writer

Reply to @lana10: i think highly rated seller or top rated they have one problem:they got not much TIME, cause many order they have to complete at the same times and many order coming next, that mean your order will spend less time to complete and make it perfect, that why your order in completed not done like you want.

I’m pretty afraid when later i got many order and i’ve find a way to manage them, cause i’m graphic designer, i need to have spend time for each of my work, caring to detail, make it perfect. I’m carie about quality than quantity

I am new seller here since 1,5 month but i have not to low prices. I cant sell any 2D animation for $5 cause the animation process is a lot of work then all scene drawings and characters rigging etc…Buyers think many times, this is a easy job but it does not. For some days a buyer asked me to do an 3D high quality video animation. I told him it will take arround 14 days to do that! The price i want mention but the price for such an animation is $ 1000 + and Fiveer highest custom offer i can send is $325. When i gave him the price he maybe been schocked, but its like it is and i cant change it only for reviews or cause i am new here?

Reply to @kjblynx: Even though @escape_ appears to be new, the $5 rule may not apply. I wish I could tell for sure. I was curious and went to the gig after reading the posts. As far as I can tell it does list $50 as the base gig, and when you look at the gig price it is in multiples of $50. I can’t find a way to change it to anything lower.

I know Fiverr was doing some tests with 1 or 2 people, I thought they were TRS and both that I know of had options that started well over $5. This is the first one I’ve seen lower than TRS. I’m about to look around at the News forum, the blog and see if I can find out if this is intentional for non-leveled sellers.

Reply to @kjblynx: Best I can tell/say for now is that some or all of the people selling animations can now participate in a beta test for pricing above $5. If I get anything else I’ll try to update. I suppose the best thing would be to post in Tips for Buyers if I get some solid info, since buyers might be the most likely to find it confusing.

Reply to @dusuacangmon: It could be, I am not part of that category so I have no idea. It is just going to be very new to buyers and many sellers because this has never been allowed as a base price on Fiverr. It has been the norm since Fiverr started that every seller had to have an option for $5 but could charge more for extras.

My guess would be that people in the animation category have resolved this in the past by offering short sample work, draft work, or some other item that they could do in 15 minutes or so. They most likely then charged much more for full-featured work.

This beta pricing may go over well or it may not. My own hope is that they create a sub-domain for higher priced gigs or find some other way to differentiate them. Right now I find the pricing structure confusing but since the higher prices are only present in one (?) category that naturally comes off a bit different than it might if there were more options.

Reply to @dusuacangmon: Well, you would have to have amazing gigs jn the animations category for one thing. In my opinion, anyone who hasn’t sold multiple $5-10 gigs and received great reviews would probably not be able to sell more expensive gigs yet. I doubt you could test it well until you have some solid sales and samples.

As far as getting started with beta testing, I am not the right person to ask because my gigs are not in the animation category.

Archived