What I'm looking for (as a buyer)

wendym

Yes I agree with your point with business photos but Fiverr photos are so small & unprofessional in comparison to the money spent on great photos for a business shoot is the big difference here. I don’t know many people for example that ever like their photos that are taken with a mobile phone. Not many people here are professional photographers who know how to deal with things like lighting for instance. Do you see people posing in baseball caps in a business photo shoot for example, no you don’t but the joe bloggs public do & it don’t give off a trusting impression… if you get my drift.

Nice thread this & just love the way you find the fire & stomach to fight your corner.

I think the compromise agreement here is then, that if you are going to include your photo do a flipping good job of it or just don’t bother at all. There is too much emphasis on personal looks here anyway, because people are going to be persuaded or disuaded by reviews & what other people make of the actual products/services delivered, regardless of how people look. Comical looking avatars in my opinion are very similar to logos & are acceptable otherwise none of us would have got this far without mugshots.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I agree with your point with business photos but Fiverr photos are so small & unprofessional in comparison to the money spent on great photos for a business shoot is the big difference here. I don’t know many people for example that ever like their photos that are taken with a mobile phone. Not many people here are professional photographers who know how to deal with things like lighting for instance. Do you see people posing in baseball caps in a business photo shoot for example, no you don’t but the joe bloggs public do & it don’t give off a trusting impression… if you get my drift.

Nice thread this & just love the way you find the fire & stomach to fight your corner.

I think the compromise agreement here is then, that if you are going to include your photo do a flipping good job of it or just don’t bother at all. There is too much emphasis on personal looks here anyway, because people are going to be persuaded or disuaded by reviews & what other people make of the actual products/services delivered, regardless of how people look. Comical looking avatars in my opinion are very similar to logos & are acceptable otherwise none of us would have got this far without mugshots.

@scriptwizard: Thanks for taking part in the discussion, because you’ve given me some food for thought.

scriptwizard said: I think the compromise agreement here is then, that if you are going to include your photo do a flipping good job of it or just don't bother at all.

I agree completely and would go a step further and say that it's important the photo reflect the services you're offering or your niche if it's not the generic plain background kind. If the offering is advice on how to hit a baseball, then a team cap would be appropriate.

@scriptwizard: Thanks for taking part in the discussion, because you’ve given me some food for thought.

scriptwizard said: I think the compromise agreement here is then, that if you are going to include your photo do a flipping good job of it or just don't bother at all.

I agree completely and would go a step further and say that it's important the photo reflect the services you're offering or your niche if it's not the generic plain background kind. If the offering is advice on how to hit a baseball, then a team cap would be appropriate.

Yep! that’s right wendym as appropriate as you can make it (although I am not exactly a practicing golden example to this rule), & if it were for a baseball cap printing/design gig it would be as many hats as you could fit into that picture & the face wouldn’t matter in either of our examples (with hats involved) lol

Yep! that’s right wendym as appropriate as you can make it (although I am not exactly a practicing golden example to this rule), & if it were for a baseball cap printing/design gig it would be as many hats as you could fit into that picture & the face wouldn’t matter in either of our examples (with hats involved) lol

@vedmak:

vedmak said: Anyway, I do not believe OP would have interest in hiring me as I do not over deliver

I don't ask people to overdeliver, frankly I'm not sure where you got that idea.

As for the other stuff, you're right. If you walked up to me on the street and said "Hire me for X" without showing me your portfolio or samples I wouldn't. No one is so good at whatever they do that they can do it without practice and in a complete vacuum of evidence, and sample making (as well as portfolio building) shows that you've been practicing your craft, whatever it is.

@vedmak:

vedmak said: Anyway, I do not believe OP would have interest in hiring me as I do not over deliver

I don't ask people to overdeliver, frankly I'm not sure where you got that idea.

As for the other stuff, you're right. If you walked up to me on the street and said "Hire me for X" without showing me your portfolio or samples I wouldn't. No one is so good at whatever they do that they can do it without practice and in a complete vacuum of evidence, and sample making (as well as portfolio building) shows that you've been practicing your craft, whatever it is.

@vedmak: Okay. So you’re the special little snowflake, because you’re doing so well-- good for you.

However, how many other people do are there on Fiverr that are wondering why they aren’t being hired when they know they can do the work? I wrote a post to fill in a few of those blanks. I can’t represent every single buyer on Fiverr, I can represent my own expectations and somehow you take that as being very demanding and expecting over delivery.

Alrighty.

@vedmak: Okay. So you’re the special little snowflake, because you’re doing so well-- good for you.

However, how many other people do are there on Fiverr that are wondering why they aren’t being hired when they know they can do the work? I wrote a post to fill in a few of those blanks. I can’t represent every single buyer on Fiverr, I can represent my own expectations and somehow you take that as being very demanding and expecting over delivery.

Alrighty.

Fiverr for a beginner is a testing time because there is this long wait for that first sale (that seems to take forever) but once it happens it is a satisfying buzz & lifts your heart enough to put up with anything. It proves that you’re doing something right. Then (all going well) you deliver that job & get your first review that is the start of your portfolio for all to see. Persevere till you get that first job, tweak that gig, keywords in that title & first 150 words in your description, make sure what is written in the first sentence is important bcoz that is what is visible under the gig title & those keywords decide where your ad gets placed in that list of ads. If you aren’t getting the orders keep tweaking that gig & planning for another one (diversity).

You have the right idea wendym, it is still a lot to do with presentation, anything to secure that first buyer. They don’t come easy for the newbies because no one knows what their work is going to turn out like, so what else can you do but the aesthetics of it all (& the playing with words till it’s all just right)?

Fiverr for a beginner is a testing time because there is this long wait for that first sale (that seems to take forever) but once it happens it is a satisfying buzz & lifts your heart enough to put up with anything. It proves that you’re doing something right. Then (all going well) you deliver that job & get your first review that is the start of your portfolio for all to see. Persevere till you get that first job, tweak that gig, keywords in that title & first 150 words in your description, make sure what is written in the first sentence is important bcoz that is what is visible under the gig title & those keywords decide where your ad gets placed in that list of ads. If you aren’t getting the orders keep tweaking that gig & planning for another one (diversity).

You have the right idea wendym, it is still a lot to do with presentation, anything to secure that first buyer. They don’t come easy for the newbies because no one knows what their work is going to turn out like, so what else can you do but the aesthetics of it all (& the playing with words till it’s all just right)?

I don’t think her expectations are too high at all, wendym represents an individual who has her idea about what she is looking for in a gig as a buyer from an individual perspective. Imagine then how many variations there are of people’s ideal gig that appeals to them from their point of view. There’s no right way or wrong way just a combination of different needs that somehow we all have to accommodate them needs if we all hope to win their custom (as best we can).

I don’t think her expectations are too high at all, wendym represents an individual who has her idea about what she is looking for in a gig as a buyer from an individual perspective. Imagine then how many variations there are of people’s ideal gig that appeals to them from their point of view. There’s no right way or wrong way just a combination of different needs that somehow we all have to accommodate them needs if we all hope to win their custom (as best we can).

That’s a fair comment vedmak but there are few people here in Fiverr that would turn their noses up to any custom no matter what the individual is like. wendym isn’t a nasty person or out of place, she is just a wee little person just like me trying to get on in life.

I have to admit though sometimes I get fussy, I have told someone off before because they didn’t ask me whether or not I wanted their job, I sent a mutual cancellation request & the buyer told me I was too much like hard work & he has loads of people he employs here but doesn’t bother to read their descriptions. I told him he takes too many people for granted & that I am no factory worker lol Sometimes people can be really annoying. I made ammends though & sent him a free article of what he wanted (ain’t life sweet with the compromising act).

That’s a fair comment vedmak but there are few people here in Fiverr that would turn their noses up to any custom no matter what the individual is like. wendym isn’t a nasty person or out of place, she is just a wee little person just like me trying to get on in life.

I have to admit though sometimes I get fussy, I have told someone off before because they didn’t ask me whether or not I wanted their job, I sent a mutual cancellation request & the buyer told me I was too much like hard work & he has loads of people he employs here but doesn’t bother to read their descriptions. I told him he takes too many people for granted & that I am no factory worker lol Sometimes people can be really annoying. I made ammends though & sent him a free article of what he wanted (ain’t life sweet with the compromising act).

@scriptwizard: Exactly, life is hard enough and when we notice something that could help someone else it’s good to share. I am one of those people that will sift through pages and pages looking for exactly the right gig to fill my need. Sometimes I just browse through gigs because I think it would be neat to find something I may not know I want-- and there are quite a few gigs like that, I bookmark them.

@scriptwizard: Exactly, life is hard enough and when we notice something that could help someone else it’s good to share. I am one of those people that will sift through pages and pages looking for exactly the right gig to fill my need. Sometimes I just browse through gigs because I think it would be neat to find something I may not know I want-- and there are quite a few gigs like that, I bookmark them.

Mmm! There’s only one of my gigs missing wendym; coz I suspend it to prevent me from getting too bogged down with work (lazy git), my ghostwriting gig. If you ever need an eBook written message me (I over-deliver) lol

I hav only just unsuspended me other writing gig & noticed all those who had collected it had scarpered away disgusted about me disappearance for so long.

Mmm! There’s only one of my gigs missing wendym; coz I suspend it to prevent me from getting too bogged down with work (lazy git), my ghostwriting gig. If you ever need an eBook written message me (I over-deliver) lol

I hav only just unsuspended me other writing gig & noticed all those who had collected it had scarpered away disgusted about me disappearance for so long.

Well, I’m off to bed it’s 05:20am 'ere in the UK & I needs me beauty sleep (not as good looking as you wendym, so I need catch-up zzzZ & plenty of them). Alls well that ends well…

lol… vedmak… I meant to write it as “…a wee little fellah trying to get on in life” but that would be sexist since I included wendym in the comment. I’ll be speaking to you tomorrow then when I return to smurf the web.

Well, I’m off to bed it’s 05:20am 'ere in the UK & I needs me beauty sleep (not as good looking as you wendym, so I need catch-up zzzZ & plenty of them). Alls well that ends well…

lol… vedmak… I meant to write it as “…a wee little fellah trying to get on in life” but that would be sexist since I included wendym in the comment. I’ll be speaking to you tomorrow then when I return to smurf the web.

Archived